Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] pressure difference full face to nasal mask
RE: pressure difference full face to nasal mask
XDom381, Changing from sleeping on your back to sleeping on your stomach probably accounts for the reduced pressure needed for therapy. Back sleeping is to be avoided if you desire lower pressure cpap therapy.

All the best, Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Geoff, where did you get the idea pillows masks don't leak? Totally wrong information in my view - I have one of those useless P10 abominations in the cupboard. It leaked like a noisy sieve, so much so that SWMBO asked me to go back to the FFM. (Not mouth- breathing either, the thing just kept coming away from my nose, no matter how I adjusted that pathetic lacky band they refer to laughingly as a head gear).

So there's no simple rule that says FFMs leak and pillows don't. In my experience it's been the opposite.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2015, 08:41 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Geoff, where did you get the idea pillows masks don't leak? Totally wrong information in my view - I have one of those useless P10 abominations in the cupboard. It leaked like a noisy sieve, so much so that SWMBO asked me to go back to the FFM. (Not mouth- breathing either, the thing just kept coming away from my nose, no matter how I adjusted that pathetic lacky band they refer to laughingly as a head gear).

So there's no simple rule that says FFMs leak and pillows don't. In my experience it's been the opposite.

Nasal Pillows use the most effective seal type known - the taper & seat. A type of seal used in many many applications today. It's unfortunate your mask didn't seal. I used F&P's Opus360 for almost six years with no leaks. Sleepy head showed a straight line for leaks. An FFM will always leak as the pressure rises under APAP, but that's ok as long as leaks don't exceed the maximum allowed for that mask. I would still be using my Opus NP mask except for massive mouth leaks, a problem that eventually I wasn't able to overcome. A problem that faces every NP mask user.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2015, 10:36 PM)woozie38 Wrote: Nasal Pillows use the most effective seal type known - the taper & seat.

Yes, you'd think it was perfect but that's not been my experience. The design of the "headgear" is fundamentally flawed and won't keep the mask attached to my face when the pressure rises. I have got the best results going back to the Quattro Air with a Pad-a-cheek liner and tight straps. Negligible leaks, the mask is held firmly by the headgear and my AHI is nearly always <1.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 11:45 AM)XDom321 Wrote: Hello fellow Sleepiheads!

I`ve been on CPAP for 3 weeks now and slowly getting used to the treatment of additional o2. I got a S9 Autoset running at a pressure setting of 4 – 14 cmH2O . I`ve started off with a full face mask Quattro FX but it did not fit properly around my nose and it leaked badly. Next I`ve tried the Mirage Quattro full face mask, very comfortable to wear and easily drifting off to sleep, but since I`m not used to sleep on my back I woke up after approx. 1.5 h and could not go back to sleep unless I`ve turned on to my belly. That in turn caused leaks again since the mask was pushed sideways by the pillow.

3 night ago I’ve turned to the P10 air pillow nose mask and I finally can sleep laying on my belly without disrupting the mask! I also could sleep much longer than with a full face mask and I think the P10 is “my” mask!

The one thing I`ve noticed on sleepyhead is that the pressure with the full face mask hoovers at around 7 – 12 cmH2O and with the P10 only at around 5-8 cmH2O (I`ve changed the machine settings to nasal mask) AHI is unchanged at around 1.0

Is the lower pressure in the nature of the nasal mask or may this be because I do lay on my belly thereby helping my airways to stay open?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Dom

Had similar experience but different answers...

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...difference
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your numerous replies, my doc also thinks the pressure drop is not directly related to the type of mask I’m using but the fact that I do sleep on my stomach whilst using my nasal pillow mask. I for my part would not give away that p10 mask since I sleep like a baby and do not notice the presence of the mask anymore. I`m now on cpap for 5 weeks and slowly but surely feel the difference. I hope it keeps improving.

Have a nice WE
Dom
Post Reply Post Reply
A ffm will use more pressure to get similar numbers. Ive proven it consistantly with my wife myself and other friends i know.
It has nothing to do with leaks. Or position. It just simply takes higher pressures with a ffm.
Post Reply Post Reply
XDom, make sure your machine is set to nasal PILLOWS if using the P10 and not just nasal or nose. The machine needs to know to calculate leak rates, etc.

Use whatever works best for you! Keep up the good sleeps!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,582 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.