Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Sex: Male

RE: pressure difference full face to nasal mask
XDom381, Changing from sleeping on your back to sleeping on your stomach probably accounts for the reduced pressure needed for therapy. Back sleeping is to be avoided if you desire lower pressure cpap therapy.

All the best, Dude
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 08:21 PM by surferdude2.)
05-02-2015 08:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

Geoff, where did you get the idea pillows masks don't leak? Totally wrong information in my view - I have one of those useless P10 abominations in the cupboard. It leaked like a noisy sieve, so much so that SWMBO asked me to go back to the FFM. (Not mouth- breathing either, the thing just kept coming away from my nose, no matter how I adjusted that pathetic lacky band they refer to laughingly as a head gear).

So there's no simple rule that says FFMs leak and pillows don't. In my experience it's been the opposite.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-02-2015 08:41 PM
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

(05-02-2015 08:41 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  Geoff, where did you get the idea pillows masks don't leak? Totally wrong information in my view - I have one of those useless P10 abominations in the cupboard. It leaked like a noisy sieve, so much so that SWMBO asked me to go back to the FFM. (Not mouth- breathing either, the thing just kept coming away from my nose, no matter how I adjusted that pathetic lacky band they refer to laughingly as a head gear).

So there's no simple rule that says FFMs leak and pillows don't. In my experience it's been the opposite.

Nasal Pillows use the most effective seal type known - the taper & seat. A type of seal used in many many applications today. It's unfortunate your mask didn't seal. I used F&P's Opus360 for almost six years with no leaks. Sleepy head showed a straight line for leaks. An FFM will always leak as the pressure rises under APAP, but that's ok as long as leaks don't exceed the maximum allowed for that mask. I would still be using my Opus NP mask except for massive mouth leaks, a problem that eventually I wasn't able to overcome. A problem that faces every NP mask user.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
05-02-2015 10:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

(05-02-2015 10:36 PM)woozie38 Wrote:  Nasal Pillows use the most effective seal type known - the taper & seat.

Yes, you'd think it was perfect but that's not been my experience. The design of the "headgear" is fundamentally flawed and won't keep the mask attached to my face when the pressure rises. I have got the best results going back to the Quattro Air with a Pad-a-cheek liner and tight straps. Negligible leaks, the mask is held firmly by the headgear and my AHI is nearly always <1.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-03-2015 12:16 AM
Tsparky Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed 10 Airsense Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Pakel Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed 10 Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 14

Other Comments:

(04-14-2015 11:45 AM)XDom321 Wrote:  Hello fellow Sleepiheads!

I`ve been on CPAP for 3 weeks now and slowly getting used to the treatment of additional o2. I got a S9 Autoset running at a pressure setting of 4 – 14 cmH2O . I`ve started off with a full face mask Quattro FX but it did not fit properly around my nose and it leaked badly. Next I`ve tried the Mirage Quattro full face mask, very comfortable to wear and easily drifting off to sleep, but since I`m not used to sleep on my back I woke up after approx. 1.5 h and could not go back to sleep unless I`ve turned on to my belly. That in turn caused leaks again since the mask was pushed sideways by the pillow.

3 night ago I’ve turned to the P10 air pillow nose mask and I finally can sleep laying on my belly without disrupting the mask! I also could sleep much longer than with a full face mask and I think the P10 is “my” mask!

The one thing I`ve noticed on sleepyhead is that the pressure with the full face mask hoovers at around 7 – 12 cmH2O and with the P10 only at around 5-8 cmH2O (I`ve changed the machine settings to nasal mask) AHI is unchanged at around 1.0

Is the lower pressure in the nature of the nasal mask or may this be because I do lay on my belly thereby helping my airways to stay open?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Dom

Had similar experience but different answers...

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...difference
05-03-2015 11:11 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
XDom321 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: resmed p10
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 14

Other Comments:

Thanks for your numerous replies, my doc also thinks the pressure drop is not directly related to the type of mask I’m using but the fact that I do sleep on my stomach whilst using my nasal pillow mask. I for my part would not give away that p10 mask since I sleep like a baby and do not notice the presence of the mask anymore. I`m now on cpap for 5 weeks and slowly but surely feel the difference. I hope it keeps improving.

Have a nice WE
Dom
05-03-2015 11:37 AM
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

A ffm will use more pressure to get similar numbers. Ive proven it consistantly with my wife myself and other friends i know.
It has nothing to do with leaks. Or position. It just simply takes higher pressures with a ffm.
05-03-2015 11:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

Sex: Female

XDom, make sure your machine is set to nasal PILLOWS if using the P10 and not just nasal or nose. The machine needs to know to calculate leak rates, etc.

Use whatever works best for you! Keep up the good sleeps!
05-03-2015 11:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need full face mask advice Bob32256 12 657 12-06-2016 04:37 PM
Last Post: Zippo
  Moisture in My Wisp nasal mask Genetini 3 93 12-05-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Face drying out Ibiban 1 215 11-24-2016 05:10 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 322 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,268 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Face mask ? Thunderbritches 4 320 11-07-2016 09:52 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Any suggestions for when your mask aggravates your face? FormerFed 11 566 11-06-2016 11:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider