Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure pulses
I have been seeing pressure pulses in my waveform data. What are they?
Post Reply Post Reply
The PR machines send out pressure pulses to test whether the airway is open or obstructed.
From my understanding, it then flags the event based on that determination.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Whenever apnea is detected, the machine uses small pressure pulses to determine whether apnea is obstructive or central

Post Reply Post Reply

From the help section of DreamMapper

An apnea is detected when there is an 80% reduction in airflow from a baseline for at least 10 seconds if there is no airflow detected for 10 seconds. During the apnea, one or more pressure test pulses are delivered by the device. The device evaluates the response of the patient to the test pulse(s) and assesses whether the apnea has occurred while the patient has a clear airway or an obstructed airway. The airway is determined to be clear if the pressure test pulse generates a significant amount of flow; otherwise the airway is determined to be obstructed. When the airway is clear then a Clear Airway Apnea event is recorded.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense. They occur mostly around apnea events, but I have seen some in sections of the waveform in which no events were recorded. In those cases I did notice that the pulses were at the end of a wave form that looked a lot like an apnea event, only shorter.

Thanks for your quick responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are probably confusing the hunt-n-peck generated pressure changes used by Philips respironics machines (go up about 1.5cm pressure in 2 minutes and come back down to original pressure in next 2 minutes). These are not 'pressure pulses'. Those can not be seen on pressure graph because they are less than a second in duration and can only be seen as tick marks on the event graph.
Started APAP 4-20, Closed range to 7.5-14, then straight 8.0 w/ Aflex 3
RDI always below 1. But sleep much much better at straight pressure.
Started on F10, Tried Quattro Air successfully. Finally settled on P10.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What is the theoritical correct pressure for a fixed pressure CPAP? Rcgop 13 362 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Can the CA pulses be confused as heart palpitations? Rcgop 7 305 04-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] Disconcerting pressure pulses between breaths on Dreamstation Pro Johnbrooking 23 944 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Johnbrooking
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 2,177 11-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
Gross [Pressure] Pressure pulses driving me insane blannan 4 609 09-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Want2SleepInMT
  Lower max pressure affecting pressure increases Rcgop 9 975 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Last Post: green wings
  I pressure/E pressure - cause/cure - on CAs Rcgop 1 731 06-17-2016, 08:47 PM
Last Post: richb