Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure rises when awake
RE: Pressure rises when awake
You caused an event and the machine reacted to it. It is that simple. Post the OSCAR chart and we may be able to say more.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've heard. When you are not fully sleeping and somewhat awake, you Apnea numbers will be lower than when in condition of much deeper sleep, and it's due to the air passageway still being opened up due to being not totally relaxed and fully asleep (your muscles relax and cause obstructions). This is why people report not getting good enough sleep despite the AHI numbers being low. The number is not the full story.

I had the same issues and had AHI the lowest ever. .24 But, I hardly slept the night. Sure, I don't recall most of it, and likely I wasn't fully conscious, but you know when you are awake most of the night.

I've have had issues with pressure rising during when I'm awake trying to fall asleep. My solution was to set it at a low pressure and turn on autoramp to the lower bound pressure level.

For example, my pressure levels are in the range of 7-12. I would set the autoramp for pressure level of 5 and ramp to 7 so that I can fall asleep. This all depends on the mask. I use this setting for F20 due to the way pressure is greater than something like F30i. F30i is designed to leak in the front and in the hose connector, so I don't need to ramp it. I realized F30i is real finicky and doesn't work for me, so I have to use F20 unfortunately. Full covered face mask works well for me.

So, not all masks can use the same pressure setting due to leakage differences. If it leaks more, more pressure is required.

However, I still do not understand how the machine is designed that it will keep ramping even if I'm not asleep. makes no sense. I shouldn't have obstructions while I'm awake for the pressure to automatically rise. It's a computer detection flaw.

Just look at what AHI has mounted duration of time you were wearing your mask. If there are, there are false positive detections.
Post Reply Post Reply
I solved this problem of increase of pressure at the beginning of the session by activating the ramp in auto mode
The device responds to tidal volume changes and while getting in bed one relaxes and tidal volume reduces a bit from the first breaths
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 667 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 521 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 487 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.