Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure(s) suggestions please..
RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please..
Thanks Mongo... and I do remember that old expression... lol.

I'm going to see how it goes tonight and go from there. I know myself and one or two nights is all it's going to take to know if what I changed will work for me. Chin strap - I'm going to try to avoid that. I tried and couldn't deal with it.

Keeping a log is a great idea. Thanks very much for coming to my rescue!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PositiveMe123,

Near the top right of Apnea Board webpages is a "My Profile" link which makes it easy for us to edit our profile.

I suggest you edit your Profile under CPAP Pressure to say something along the lines of 6/11 PS=3. This would be enough info for others to understand your EPAPmin is 6, IPAPmax is 11, and IPAP is always 3 higher than EPAP, and that your machine is in VAuto therapy mode.

Whenever your machine raises EPAP this means the machine is seeing signs of obstruction or partial obstruction in your breathing: things like Flow Limitation, or snoring, or hypopnea, or obstructive apnea. When these signs of obstruction occur your "Auto" machine will raise the pressure; your machine may raise EPAP and IPAP together, but not higher than EPAP of 8 and IPAP of 11.

Flow Limitation means that during inhalation your airway is narrowing and is restricting your ability to inhale freely, which increases the amount of effort needed to breathe in and may lead to Respiratory Effort Related Arousal (RERA).

An apnea is scored by the machine when the amount of airflow into and out of our lungs reduces by 90% or more, for at least 10 seconds. If the reduction is between 90% and 50% for at least 10 seconds, the machine scores an hypopnea.

If the reduction is less than 50% but there are signs of increased Flow Limitation for at least 10 seconds, followed by tell-tale signs of an arousal (sudden large "recovery" breaths) this event was probably a RERA. The machine will not count this as an hypopnea (because reduction in airflow was too small), so the machine will not include this event when calculating the AHI.

Most Philips Respironics System One or newer models report RERA events.

Most ResMed models do not report RERA events, but APAP and other Auto models (like yours) do respond to signs of obstruction like Flow Limitation by raising the pressure, to open up the airway more.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 04:40 PM)vsheline Wrote: Hi PositiveMe123,

I suggest you edit your Profile under CPAP Pressure to say something along the lines of 6/11 PS=3. This would be enough info for others to understand your EPAPmin is 6, IPAPmax is 11, and IPAP is always 3 higher than EPAP, and that your machine is in VAuto therapy mode.

Hi vsheline... Thanks very much for your suggestion that I edit my profile. Since I just changed the pressure(s) today, I'll wait a few more days before I edit so that I know for sure the pressures are working for me.

Your info cleared up many things. I have a good sleep doctor but I'm getting very tired of seeing her. She always looked at the data on my SD card, said it was very good and sent me on my way. Now, after five years, I've decided to learn all about my machine so that I can handle this myself. Up until now it was just easier to hear my AHI was under 2, and not enough leaks to be concerned about. It's a bit of a learning curve for me. Oh-jeez Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 07:56 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: It's a bit of a learning curve for me. Oh-jeez Thanks again!

I know what you mean. I'm a senior citizen; and I just bought my first smartphone. It will take me a while to semi-master it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PositiveMe123,
I know there is a learning curve, but it sounds like you are doing fine and you'll get there.
It's great to hear that you are taking your sleep apnea into your hands.
Good luck to you with this, and keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 09:26 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 07:56 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: It's a bit of a learning curve for me. Oh-jeez Thanks again!

I know what you mean. I'm a senior citizen; and I just bought my first smartphone. It will take me a while to semi-master it.

Well, all you really have to do is find a grandchild; any grandchild will do. They will spend 3 minutes showing you how to use it and then think you mastered it! I didn't want to break my grandson's heart so I just said thank you dear, and now I can do everything you do. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
After fiddling with a few different pressures yesterday, it seemed more comfortable to stay at min 6 and max 10, changing the ps from 2 to 3.

I remember that I woke up once to change positions and fell right back to sleep. This morning when I looked at the display on the machine, there was a big green smiley face and my AHI was 2.1. It seems that just changing the ps from 2 to 3 made such a nice difference; I didn't feel as though I needed more air and my mouth went from extremely dry to slightly dry. I slept 8.2 hours and feel better today than I have in ages!

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and for your encouragement. Yes, I will edit my profile. Smile Smile Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PositiveMe,
You really need to get SleepyHead software going so you can better monitor your situation better.
It's easier than learning to use a smartphone!
Smile
What SleepyHead will do is tell you "The Rest of the Story" (like Paul Harvey)

You doctor cannot oversee your therapy as well as YOU can.

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shatzi... I'll think about your signature when I'm attempting to get Sleepyhead. Especially because I am so NOT tech savvy! Bigwink Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,927 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 251 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.