Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] self titration?
self titration?
Is in home self titration more effective than a second sleep lab study? If so i may talk to my doctor about not doing the study and just enabling my APAP and setting a range.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: self titration?
I don't say sleep lab titration more effective but can gives you something to fall back upon
If they say 10, you can set the machine something like 8-12 and see how things pan out

Post Reply Post Reply
I've always doubted the value of the titration test. Consider this - at best it's a snapshot of one night, when we know that every night can be different. You'll be in a strange place, hooked up to wires and tubes etc, and sleeping according to their schedule - not your normal sleeping pattern.

When I was diagnosed I got an S9 Autoset set wide open on 4 - 20 for a week. After the week was up I had a consultation with the RT who narrowed the range based on the detailed data. As it turned out this didn't work for me as I have complex apnea and ended up with an ASV - but that's another story. The point is I could sleep in my own bed, at my own time. Data was gathered for a full week, adjustments made, then another week's data. I think this is a much better way of performing titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum shadowfx78!! Great place to get answers. Good luck with your therapy!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
the main reason im wondering this is cuz the number of events im having hasnt decreased its actually increased by a small percentage. Im going to switch to apap and go with a range of 6 to 18 and see how that works where the autoset puts the pressure to help with events.
thanks for the welcome cate1998
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with a split night study. But I don't remember ever paying any attention to the recommended setting. I originally had an S9 Autoset and Resscan software and with the help I received here quickly learned to manage my therapy.
I advocate you doing the same, in consultation with your doctor IF he knows more than you and has an interest in helping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 05:59 AM)shadowfx78 Wrote: the main reason im wondering this is cuz the number of events im having hasnt decreased its actually increased by a small percentage. Im going to switch to apap and go with a range of 6 to 18 and see how that works where the autoset puts the pressure to help with events.

Have you been looking at your stats on sleepyhead? If so, what is your 90% pressure reading?

I agree with using APAP, but pressure changes should be made around your 90% number.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I havent been able to get the data off the sd card as i dont have a reader but that will be remedied in the next week or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 02:59 AM)shadowfx78 Wrote: Is in home self titration more effective than a second sleep lab study? If so i may talk to my doctor about not doing the study and just enabling my APAP and setting a range.

Whether to doctor will go along depends upon the doctor. The doctor may say, "No way." Or, "Great idea." (Personally I do not care for doctors who take an it's my way or the highway approach.)

Insurance rules may also come into the equation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 02:59 AM)shadowfx78 Wrote: Is in home self titration more effective than a second sleep lab study? If so i may talk to my doctor about not doing the study and just enabling my APAP and setting a range.

I don't think home self-titration is more effective, but I do think there is no reason for a lab titration unless you have a heart problem, lung problem, or severe apnea. Just set the auto-machine range and it responds accordingly. If you don't feel any better in a couple of months, then go for the lab titration to see what is going on. Given the fact that I had to wait 2 months AFTER being diagnosed to get the damned titration, I went out and bought a used machine so I could stop suffering. No matter what, most insurance will not pay for the higher end machines (like Bipap) unless you've done a trial with a cpap or xpap ANYWAY.

My opinion of course. I'm stuck with only lab studies since I have a low heart rate. But, at least they are willing to look at the Sleepyhead data first.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 276 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
  [Pressure] BiPAP Titration Help - I:E Ratio becomes 1:5 havishem 1 222 02-17-2024, 09:46 AM
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 304 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 13 1,015 01-06-2024, 03:57 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.