Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Good brush for cleaning the tubes that connect mask and cpap?
Good brush for cleaning the tubes that connect mask and cpap?
I wonder if anyone know of any good brush for cleaning the long tubes that connects the mask to the cpap machine? (and preferable available on amazon or other international store)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good brush for cleaning the tubes that connect mask and cpap?
hejohoo;
Resmed recommends washing the heated tube that came with My AS 11 with baby shampoo or a
mild detergent .. Fill hose partially with solution raise and lower ends to slosh back and forth ..
Drain, Rinse with fresh water to remove detergent .. Hang to drip dry .. No brush required ..
Good Luck !!
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2023, 12:18 PM)sauerkraut Wrote: hejohoo;
Resmed recommends washing the heated tube that came with My AS 11 with baby shampoo or a
mild detergent .. Fill hose partially with solution raise and lower ends to slosh back and forth ..
Drain, Rinse with fresh water to remove detergent .. Hang to drip dry ..  No brush required ..
Good Luck !!
    Steve

I saw this video from CPAP reviews and he seems to recommend to use a small brush to really get rid of bacteria:

https://youtu.be/RyiSBEMaAYY?t=302

(at 5 minutes)
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a 5 pac of bottle cleaning brushes. They’re about 8” long with a small wire loop on the end for hanging on a hook. I tied on a 7’ piece of fishing line and a sinker. Drop the sinker in and pull the brush through the hose. Works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the method sauerkraut posted using Dawn dish liquid and warm water. Never had an issue with mold or other 'growth' in the hose.

The Philips heated hoses have a sensor within the hose at the mask end which controls/regulates the temperature/humidity. I believe Resmed is similar. I don't know how fragile this sensor might be or whether running a brush over it might compromise its integrity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I worry about a bottle type brush making making invisible (and microscopic type) scratches on the plastic.
And thus make provide a landing site for bacteria.
It's not glass!
I tried to improvise with a cloth product (Purdue?) but I was unable to make it work well. Look forward to anyone else being
successful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never found it necessary to use a brush. Just use Dawn liquid, warm water and swish around, rinse well and hang to dry. Also, I give a final rinse with distilled water.

In 9 years, have not had a problem.

However, it's helpful if you have a spare hose to use while one is drying.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hejohoo;
I don't know the youtube gentleman ..  But the company that manufactures the machine 
recommends the method I out lined .. 
Good Luck ..
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Worth knowing that no expelled air from your body passes up the tube - it goes out the vents in front of your mask and/or where the mask connects to the tube (depending on the mask type). I only wash mine about every 7-8 weeks (just soak in warm soap water for a few minutes and then rinse through and leave to dry) - never had a problem in two years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.