Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure setting full face vs pillow
RE: Pressure setting full face vs pillow
The key point is that the pressure sensor is in the machine, not the mask. Between breaths, this doesn’t matter - the mask pressure will match the machine’s pressure setting.

At peak flow though, such as taking a moderately deep breath, the restriction of the hose and mask (including the elbow) can cause the pressure in the mask to drop several cmH2O (or more) below the pressure setting. The pressure will be correct in the machine, but not at the mask.

To maintain the set pressure in the mask, the machine has to dynamically adjust its internal pressure, proportionally to the flow rate.

For example, if your target pressure is 12, no compensation is needed between breaths. As you inhale though, the machine may need to adjust to 13 or 14 internally so that you continue to receive 12 in the mask. Then, as your inhalation slows, the machine pressure can drop back to 12.

To reiterate, the point of that pressure change in the machine is so you experience a stable pressure in the mask.

The mask and hose type settings tell the machine how much to compensate. The hose type may also be used for other purposes, but that is beyond the scope of this topic.

The easiest way to understand it is just to try it while awake. Start at X0, breathe deeply, go to X1, repeat, go to X2, etc. X3 is probably as high as you will want to go, but X5 won’t hurt you. It will just feel like drinking from a firehose - there will be a whoosh of air as you start to inhale.

Pay attention to what the mask is doing, especially a full face mask. At the correct setting, the mask will barely move even with a deep breath, and you should never feel like you are breathing through a hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perfect explanation
Post Reply Post Reply
[deleted redundant content]
Post Reply Post Reply
Going from pillow to full face, is there any change to humidity setting needed since it seems as full face will “process” more air since the mask has to be filled.
Post Reply Post Reply
You use the same amount of air regardless of which type of mask it is. I actually prefer less humidity for full face then for pillows. Some people do need slightly higher pressure for full face then for nasal or pillows, but that is because of the Difference in the anatomy of the airways in your nose and throat. You still breathe the same amount of air either way.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I use a FFM vs Nasal Pillows, with my range set from 9-12, I saw a higher median and 95% pressures and more frequent maximums with the FFM. I read on here that is likely due to the FFM pushing on the chin resulting in more restrictions. I now set the FFM to 10-13 with an EPR of 2, and the median pressure has reduced by about 0.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
There may be several factors involved. I don’t raise my minimum pressure with full face, but it does vary a lot more during the night. With pillows, my pressure barely moves.
Post Reply Post Reply
[deleted redundant content]
Post Reply Post Reply
These posts are fascinating!
I've had many masks over 30+ years of use... I have never successfully used a full face mask, because I'm claustrophobic. I typically tear my mask off after a little bit of use.
I currently use a ResMed N20. It's my second or third one.
I use a contraption under my throat to keep my mouth closed. It works. My last 3 scores were 0.0, 0.2, and 0.0
As I age I've need more and more help...
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I usually use pillows mask with constant pressure, in times I tried full face mask I had to raise the pressure by 3-4 to get similar flow limitations.
This is likely due to the mask pushing lower jaw.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.