Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User Needs Guidance
New CPAP User Needs Guidance
[attachment=14023][attachment=14023][attachment=14023]Aloha All,
I had my sleep study a couple months ago and have been on CPAP for a month.  In my study I took a sleeping pill and was on my back the entire time.  I do like to sleep on my back sometimes, but not always.  Anyway they found I had a lot of apnea, AHI 34 so they prescribed APAP (pressure 15-20), a full face mask, and a chin strap. 

At home with my new gear I had lots of problems with my mouth coming open.  I'm not a mouth breather but when I fall asleep my mouth comes open.  This "blew off" my FFM every time.  

I Googled & Googled until I found this wonderful website.  Wow, I feel so lucky that you folks are there to help.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.  

Thanks to the information on this wonderful forum I tried many things - chin straps, the "tongue-suck" method, a cervical collar and a mouth piece.  Nothing worked completely, but the best is the cervical collar with mouth tape.  I also tried to understand the advice given on this forum and slowly reduced my pressure.  What helped the most was to eliminate sleeping on my back.  I have done so.  Now with side sleeping, a collar and tape I do pretty well.  My AHI is usually in the 1-2 range.  If I get a cramp and sleep on my back for a while, my AHI goes up into the 2-5 range.

I am sleeping well and feeling good.  I have mostly eliminated the OAs, but still have a lot of CAs and Hypos.  Could some of the experts take a look at my data and advise me what else I might do?    

I've attached a copy of my Sleep Study and most recent Sleepyhead screenshot.

Thanks, Lawrence

Attached Files
.txt   Sleep Study Report asof 052019 no name.txt (Size: 5.69 KB / Downloads: 8)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User Needs Guidance
Hi konalawrence,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. I’ll let those better at chart reading give feedback. I don’t see anything that jumps out. Because your showing AHI under 5, how do you feel with some time with the machine?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie CPAP User Needs Help !!!
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm starting to feel "ok" with my machine and mask setup.  I really don't like the "over-the-nose" part of the FFM.  I've ordered the Dreamwear FFM which fits under the nose and over the mouth.  I've read that lots of side-sleepers have trouble with it.  I hope it works for me.  Anything so I could scratch my nose once in a while without removing the mask!!!
 Otherwise, all is good.
I was telling my friend and neighbor about my CPAP adventure and she asked how long I'd have to use it.  I said, "the rest of my life".  What fun!
Cheers, Lawrence
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User Needs Guidance
Being that you are under AHI 2 and you have no complaints I wouldn't touch a thing.

I too am/was a mouth breather. Try the ResMed P10 pillow mask, start with the large pillows and work down in size. There is something about pap pressure that sets up nasal breathing in most. It may cause some mouth breathing but see the Mask Primer for how to handle that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,362 8 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 18 836 Yesterday, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 73 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 152 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 644 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 175 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.