Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure settings causing chest pain
Pressure settings causing chest pain
Hy all, New to forum. Thanks for being here. I use a pressure reading of 7 on my system one. Breathing in is easy and takes little effort but breathing out causes the center of my chest to burn. Would a lower pressure make it easier to exhale and stop the chest burning feeling?? Or is it just the opposite, do I need a higher pressure??? Probably a dumb question but to me I need help please. Thanks, farmacist
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure settings causing chest pain
Sounds to me like you need some Exhalation Pressure Relief or as Philips calls it, Flex. Without knowing the exact model of your CPAP and assuming that it is a Philips Respironics CPAP, I would suggest that you turn the "flex" on and set it to "2". See if that helps.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! Can you describe the burning sensation more? It is like heartburn? Or like the tingle when you hit your funny bone? Is it in your throat? Closer to your heart? Higher up or lower down by your stomach? Does it start immediately when you start exhaling? Does it go away immediately when you stop exhaling?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Farmacist,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I will explain more the discomfort I have experienced for the last year. As soon as I start using my CPAP my chest burns on exhale like heartburn right down the center of my chest, between my nipples and 3" both above and below that point. I notice it right as I start using it, lasts all night in till I take it off but then leaves my chest area sore for most of next day. Doctors have said over and over it is not my heart, asthma, GERD, stomach or anything they can imagine. I know it is real and I know the CPAP is causing it. The CPAP helps my breathing greatly but this cheats pain is a real pain. Pressure set at 7 from sleep study and flex at 2. I need your advice please. Thanks, DADfarmacist
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Farmacist! How long have you been being treated for sleep apnea? I notice you say you are using pressure 7, but your member details under your username say 6. It would be helpful if you could update all your user details; exact model of machine, correct pressure-unless you've changed it, and assuming from your info you might be using the fixed CPAP mode, or are you using Auto CPAP (also referred to as APAP) ?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Farmacist. My first thought if someone says they have chest pain is to tell them to see a doctor about it. It sounds like you have already done this.

Do you think this pain is muscle pain? Is the area of your chest that you described sore to the touch in the mornings?

Some people do have pain in the muscles when they first start CPAP therapy, but it seems unusual for it for persist as long as yours has.

Have you tried taking an anti-inflammatory medication like Advil/motrin for the pain?

Do you notice any difference in the intensity of the pain when you're lying on your side vs. lying on your back?

Here is a link to download the free SleepyHead software that most of us on this site use to look at the data from our CPAP machines. If you could download that program and show us some information from your CPAP machine, it might give some information that would help to solve your problem.

Here is the Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead and a short guide explaining what charts/graphs from SleepyHead to post to this forum if you want advice from members.

You will need to upload the screenshots from SleepyHead to an image hosting site like imgur or Dropbox in order to show them in a post here.

(06-18-2016, 05:21 AM)Farmacist Wrote: I will explain more the discomfort I have experienced for the last year. As soon as I start using my CPAP my chest burns on exhale like heartburn right down the center of my chest, between my nipples and 3" both above and below that point. I notice it right as I start using it, lasts all night in till I take it off but then leaves my chest area sore for most of next day. Doctors have said over and over it is not my heart, asthma, GERD, stomach or anything they can imagine. I know it is real and I know the CPAP is causing it. The CPAP helps my breathing greatly but this cheats pain is a real pain. Pressure set at 7 from sleep study and flex at 2. I need your advice please. Thanks, DADfarmacist

Post Reply Post Reply
Farmcist,

I can't imagine why Cpap would be causing the chest pain your describe, but if I were you I would get another doctors opinion. Your pressure of 7 is fairly low and should not cause you discomfort.

We can't easily recommend pressure changes until we can see some data, like your AHI readings and breakdown of such. Start using software, and then you can post us a screenshot of your data.

This is the latest version of our free SleepyHead software.
http://[b]OSCAR Official Download Page ---->
CLICK HERE ./[/b]

Also a link to obtaining the clinicians manual for your machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with OpalRose about getting a second opinion from a doctor. Or a third or fourth.

I can do a web search and find examples of other people saying they have the type of pain that you're describing when they first started using CPAP, but all the cases I saw said that the pain went away after a short adjustment period.

I suggested using an NSAID in my post above, but really, my experience with inflammation from something repeated like CPAP use, is that the pain will get gradually worse each day if you keep doing the activity.

We can't see you, and we don't have a complete health history for you, so that makes it very hard to answer this sort of question.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor's seem to have covered everything that I had in mind. GERD would not go down below your nipples. The only other thing I can think of is some sort of nerve pain, but I don't think any major nerves run in that area and direction, nor would that leave your chest sore the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,562 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 264 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 424 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.