Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure settings causing chest pain
RE: Pressure settings causing chest pain
(06-18-2016, 05:21 AM)Farmacist Wrote: I know it is real and I know the CPAP is causing it. The CPAP helps my breathing greatly but this cheats pain is a real pain. Pressure set at 7 from sleep study and flex at 2. I need your advice please. Thanks, DADfarmacist

You know you are having pain, but from the evidence given I don't see that you can know that this pain is being caused by the machine. A pressure of 7cm is less than 1% of the normal air pressure at sea level and it's hard to see how such a small change could cause this pain. There is either some underlying disease that makes you extra sensitive or there is a psychological reaction to the use of the machine. I am not belittling you - psychological pain is just as real and hurts just as much as "real" pain. As I know all too well.

IF it is shown by medical examination that there is no physiological cause for this pain you might consider some psychological counselling. This can be helpful as, again, I know from my own experience. If it is psychological pain it is still perfectly real and nothing to be ashamed of.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was beginning to wonder the same thing as Ed. Even at 20, that is not enough pressure to inflate a party balloon, which we can easily do with our lungs. Try blowing up a balloon. Does that cause the same pain? If so, take that to your doctor. That should be hard for them to just dismiss. If it does not cause the pain, then the cause is probably not the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2016, 04:48 PM)chill Wrote: Try blowing up a balloon. Does that cause the same pain? If so, take that to your doctor.

I wish I had thought of that point. I think I'll remember it and use it in future. Good luck getting royalties...

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Darn! I knew I should have copyrighted it! Oh well, it is Public Domain now.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of questions. Does exercise/physical activity/stressful situations give you chest pain?

Do you have breathless episodes during the day?

I had similar symptoms for years and by self diagnosis (never a good thing) came up with GERD as the reason. However, GERD had nothing to do with it at all. What I was experiencing was angina from severely blocked coronary arteries. What was happening was the digestive process at night was redirecting blood flow to my digestive system (and away from my coronary arteries). My cardiologist told me this when I asked why I had 'heartburn' soon after eating. This eventuated in a triple bypass.

An ECG will probably not pick up blocked coronary arteries.

Using a CPAP machine requires a bit of extra respiratory effort and this could be triggering an angina response.

I don't know what testing your doctor has put you through but you probably need to insist on something more rigorous.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaytonA for your suggestion of adjusting the FLEX. I had never used the FLEX setting to my memory which was set on 2. I changed the setting to 3 and now when I exhale it no longer feels like I am blowing up a balloon. Thanks, for now I will try this for a month to see how it goes. I am guessing that I should watch my AHI and expect that it stay the same or even show improvement. Thanks, farmacist
Post Reply Post Reply
You may see a small increase in AHI as the higher Flex number will result in a slightly lower pressure during part of your exhale. Do you still get the chest pain with Flex at 3?
Post Reply Post Reply
Chest pain is gone, 3 nights now and I wake up feeling like my old self again. AH I is holding as it has been for last few months.Thanks to all of you. I will give this a 30 day trial and give a full report then. Thanks again, farmacist
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 80 3,251 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 884 7 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 253 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 426 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 154 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.