Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure suddenly seems higher - why?
Pressure suddenly seems higher - why?
Hi

Last couple of nights my s9+humidifier seems to be blowing stronger (I haven't changed the pressure setting). Also (and this may be completely my imagination) it seems to blow louder when I dry the mask after washing.

Before I spend a couple of hours in traffic to have the machine checked by a technician, is there anything else I can check? I also have a bit of a cold, so maybe that's why it feels stronger. On the other hand, maybe the stronger pressure is making me feel as if I have a chest cold. Go figure....

Thanks for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure suddenly seems higher - why?
Benzi, if you would post a screenshot of your data, it's possible we might see something that can be optimized.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
        Thanks, attaching screenshots.
Post Reply Post Reply
You would benefit from changing EPR to full time instead of Ramp only. And you had a few leaks with a mouth leak pattern that were just below to above the leak redline of 24.

PS, the high events in this chart are Central Apnea/CA. Most of these were clusters at the very end of the therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
also set your min pressure=6 to allow the EPR=2 to work thru the full range of pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys! I raised the min pressure to 6 and put EPR on full time. I think it feels better but how can raising the pressure make it feel more comfortable? And how does increasing EPR make it feel better when inhaling?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR (exhale pressure relief)

Given these Pressures this is what happens.

Min 7
Max 20
EPR 3

the in inhale value is 7
The exhale value is 4  (min 7 - ERP3=4)
max is not going to get to 20 it will go up anywhere from the inhale 7 to 20 to stop apnea.  If it indeed does go up to 20 we would probably set them max down to a lower number so you don't have runaway pressure.

The absolute lowest a pap machine can go is 4. Soi if you were to set it at a min 6 EPR 3 it would be 4 (min 4-EPR 3 cant happen because the machine can only go down to the lowest of 4. That is why most people suggest a min of 7

EPR does 2 things first it lowers the exhale to make it more comfortable to breath out.  2nd it lessions the number of H events and flow limits which are both apnea only different degrees.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Whether it is the straw we call a CPAP hose and mask, or the straw that goes down your throat, increased pressure results in more air (flow) getting to your lungs. EPR drops exhale pressure to more easily escape.

Simple explanation
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand about the EPR, but how is increasing the start pressure from 5 to 6 going to make it more comfortable? Last night the increase in pressure was unpleasant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure can never go below 4!
Thus min pressure should never be lower than 4 + EPR in order to give EPR the roo. To do its thing.

Can you please be very specific on what, how, why this low of a pressure increase is unpleasant?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,793 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 539 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 287 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.