Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure too high
Pressure too high
Hi all, when I went to put my mask on last night the pressure was way too high. I couldn't keep it on. It was leaking everywhere. I checked the settings and they were all correct as I had left them 12cmH2O for max and 7cmH2O for min. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help, Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure too high
(12-23-2015, 09:14 AM)okrobie Wrote: Hi all, when I went to put my mask on last night the pressure was way too high. I couldn't keep it on. It was leaking everywhere. I checked the settings and they were all correct as I had left them 12cmH2O for max and 7cmH2O for min. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help, Jim

It's unlikely that the machine actually exceeded your maximum pressure. It's more likely that the machine was cranking really hard trying to maintain your set pressure, with the leaks.

If you fix the leaks, it should start to behave again. In fact, you need to fix the leaks anyway, since it doesn't do a very good job while there are large leaks.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Terry, thanks. I always put the mask on before I turn on the machine. I have had trouble with leaks but I'm seeing my Sleep doctor/Pulmonologist on the 29th. This problem is way different. I couldn't even press it onto my face hard enough to seal it. I re-booted it and there was no change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any chance you got water in the blower unit. That will mess up the sensors and it might run open loop.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 09:40 AM)okrobie Wrote: Hi Terry, thanks. I always put the mask on before I turn on the machine. I have had trouble with leaks but I'm seeing my Sleep doctor/Pulmonologist on the 29th. This problem is way different. I couldn't even press it onto my face hard enough to seal it. I re-booted it and there was no change.

It is possible that it's broken. You might want to call the place you got it from and see if you can bring it in today to have them check the pressure/operation.

Most places don't have a problem with walk-ins.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
Well... that might not work for me. I bought it at a Thrift store. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think a DME would check it over for you. There is a tool they use called a manometer which can check to see if your machine is blowing correct pressure.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or you could do a rough check yourself. Fill a pitcher with water. Leave a fair amount of freeboard since you are going to get a fair amount of bubbling. Attach the hose to the machine without the mask. Start the machine with no ramp and no EPR set. push the hose end into the pitcher. Keep lowering the free end in the water until it just stops bubbling. measure at the depth that it just stopped bubbling. If you measure in centimeters that will be the pressure, otherwise you will need to transform your measurement to centimeters.

Have fun.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose, that's a good idea. I have one that I use for other issues so they are a company I trust. I won't be able to use it over the weekend because we are going out of town until Sunday.

Thanks PaytonA, that's another good idea. It's funny tho because I had a lifetime career which included measuring pressures with a manometer but I never thought of using a jug to measure the pressure output of my ResMed.

I'll be signing off now till Monday so have a Very Merry Christmas.

Regards, Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
YEA!!! it's fixed. It was simply a loose cushion on the mask. That's why so much air was blowing and I couldn't get it to stop by pushing the mask tighter on my face. Thank you all for your support. Way-to-happy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 702 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.