Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure took a time-out last night..
Pressure took a time-out last night..
I like my little Resmed Auto-thingy. It's running on factory default as I have not tweaked any of the original settings. So it starts at 5 whatsits, and climbs to 15, then hovers between 12 and 15 pretty much all night. I like it that it doesn't normally feel a need to get my attention in the middle of the night, and I can just focus on the nice suction cup on my face.

But last night was different. All of a sudden (according to Sleepyhead) around 1:00 am the pressure started a slow decline until it hit 7. Then it stayed there for about an hour then began a slow ascent back to 15, arriving at 3:00 am. I woke up thinking I wasn't getting enough air and checked to make sure power was still on in the house. But that's about as awake as I got, so if something else was going on I don't know what it was. I continued to breath, and things got better. Or seemed to be better.

Is it normal for something like that to happen? Did my machine swallow one of the cats when I wasn't looking?

Like I said, I like my little machine to take care of all the silly details during the night so I don't have to. But I'm not sure I like it taking a two hour time-out right when I'm trying to sleep.

Any clues? Is this normal? Am I normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure took a time-out last night..
(02-11-2014, 10:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Any clues? Is this normal? Am I normal?
There,re is no such thing as normal, everyone is different ... You,re one of a kind Coffee

The machine increase pressure (providing leak is controlled) to deal with some flow limitation and apnea events, as breathing stabilizes and all normal again, the pressure run backwards towards the minimum. Its a disrupting cycle to my sleep, i prefer pressure to be close to the minimum (not lower) which is treatment pressure and not rise by much during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the 'seek' algorithm looking to improve and find the lowest pressure that will do that.

Zonk: Me too. I like pressure close to what I will use all night. I probably will end by setting mine to the 95% pressure since I prefer it higher and there's no reason to have it need to climb (much at all.)

Eventually I'll probably set the max to just higher than the max it has needed to use -- leaving a little head room in case the machine has not yet optimized or my apnea might change.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 10:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote: All of a sudden (according to Sleepyhead) around 1:00 am the pressure started a slow decline until it hit 7. Then it stayed there for about an hour then began a slow ascent back to 15, arriving at 3:00 am. I woke up thinking I wasn't getting enough air and checked to make sure power was still on in the house.

There are a couple of things that could be going on here. First of all, it's normal to wake up at any pressure and feel the need to check that the machine is still on. We get used to it being on, and our breathing slows when we relax and sleep, so we don't notice that it is on.

On the other hand, if it really was a drop in pressure that woke you up, or if it was the rising pressure after the drop that woke you up, you could raise that lower limit on your pressure a bit and see if that helps. Especially if this keeps happening to you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 812 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,222 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.