Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pretty depressed
Angry 
Pretty depressed
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 9 years ago, was told to run with a pressure of 5. never could get used to the mask so I gave up.

back in July I started being really tired, which isn't unusual for me as I am always tired when my allergies are acting up, but my allergies were not bothering me which led me back to the sleep apnea. back to my ENT who agreed. So I dug my machine out of the closet and started cpap while waiting for a new sleep study which was one month away. Aug 10th.

Since I started back on cpap it took 6 weeks for it to do any good, and by any good just getting mixed results. I feel like I am sleeping better, less tossing and turning, only getting up once per night instead of 3-4 times, feel like I am sleeping better but feel crappy when I get up. Some days I feel just "OK" but not much energy and some days I feel tired.

I feel like the mask fits fairly well, using a nasal mask and a chin strap.

So today I finally got my follow up appointment for the sleep study results. Nothing really changed from 9 years ago. moderate sleep apnea, told to run the pressure at 8-9. Their going to send me a copy of the sleep report. I also asked to replace my machine with a s9 autoset so they are working on that (will see).

I guess I am upset that after 2 months I thought I would feel better or I hoped the Dr would come up with a "miracle" LOL, LOL.

So I would like to get a new machine with the software so I could see the results.

I am just whining about my own situation and should be happy that i'm not worse as some others are.

Sorry for the rant. just needed to get this out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pretty depressed
Eddie702, there is no miracle unfortunately, it takes some people longer than others to feel the effects, I believe that is due to the length of time the person has been undiagnosed and the serverity. It took me about 6 months of constant use to really start to feel the effects and I think it will take years before I'm back to what others would consider normal. I know my body is healing and it will take time. I am slowly seeing results that a lot of people may not expect to see, apart from feeling better and not as tired, my hair is growing thicker on my head, hair is growing back on my legs where is fell off, my ear sight has improved, my skin is better. I think my body is re growing or re generating and that will take me time but I'm willing to wait. I have been on CPAP for a bit over two years and they have been the best two years of my life, keep at it and you can rant whenever you like.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Eddie702,
You may feel depressed right now, but I applaud you for "taking charge" of your health and your therapy by going for another sleep test and asking for a newer machine. I hope you can get the ResMed S9. Don't give up! You've taken some bold, brave steps toward better health through better sleep! Good luck to you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2013, 07:28 PM)Eddie702 Wrote: I guess I am upset that after 2 months I thought I would feel better or I hoped the Dr would come up with a "miracle" LOL, LOL.

If you're running your machine at a pressure of 5 cm, and your new sleep study is telling you it needs to be 8-9 cm, then perhaps just raising your pressure will be the miracle cure. And it also explains why you noticed little improvement in the last two months.

Do you know how to change the pressure on your machine?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eddie702,
Sometimes it takes quite a while before you start to notice a lot of improvement. It sounds like from what you say though, you notice a slight bit.
Don't worry about ranting, sometimes we just need to vent, no sweat.
You might want to raise the pressure on the machine you have to the new setting, 'til hopefully, you get your S9AutoSet.
Best of luck, don't give up and keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done getting it going again.
Dig in your heals for a new machine - after this amount of time the health fund can stand you another one, and make sure it is data capable.
Being able to just review leak information alone to tune mask fit is worth it.
But its also good to be able to see the pressure you run at and correlate that to how you feel and other effects.

And I agree - if you need a 8-9 pressure - 5 would only be stopping a few, and so you would not really feel much better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome
As you can tell there are a lot of us right there with you. Keep trying.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
You REALLY need a data capable CPAP machine. It's crazy to treat apnea without one.

Check the links in my signature line to figure out how to get a good CPAP machine.

S9 AutoSet is great. S9 Escape or Escape Auto are not fully data capable.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
My bad have to update my info, I have my machine set @ 8 and know how to change the pressure. The good news is the DR's office called me and said yes, I can get a new machine because my old one is over 5 years old. They told me the DME will be in touch and If I don't here from the DME to call the DR's office back. The DME provider is supposed to contact me, they haven't yet but it's only been 2 days. Hopefully I can get the s9 autoset I had asked the DR about. She was good with it.

Thank you for all your responses, greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call the doctor back and get the name and number of the DME. Check your insurance and look at the list of approved DME's. Make some calls and make sure they're willing to give you an excellent machine. Tell your doctor you want a prescription for a fully data-capable machine. Your pressure is low enough that you don't really need an APAP, but you might as well get one anyway since your insurance is paying for it.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could you please help analyze my sleep study results? Pretty sure I need an ASV samisnow1 4 1,613 12-28-2021, 12:21 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Feel like my numbers look pretty good, but I'm not sleeping any differently? bigsnarfy 2 694 08-14-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: bigsnarfy
  Feeling pretty good after 3-ish months but need reassurance and/or advice plakky 6 845 04-21-2021, 11:32 PM
Last Post: plakky
  [Diagnosis] Newly Diagnosed Scared and Depressed flcpap17 6 968 10-27-2020, 01:50 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Pretty Dialled in but minor tweak help please gcritchley 14 1,648 02-20-2020, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Breathing starts becoming shallow until CA/OA occur(anxiety and respiratory depressed MyronH 6 1,677 07-14-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: MyronH
  Urgent advice needed - In hospital - Lots of CA's and respiratory feels depressed MyronH 14 2,886 05-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.