Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Preventing head gear marks on bald head
Preventing head gear marks on bald head
I hate the marks left behind after wearing my mask and they don't go away for several hours. I have tried loosening the head gear to prevent the marks, but then the masks leaks pretty much throughout the night.

What can us bald guys use/do to help prevent the marks left behind? What have others used to help? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Preventing head gear marks on bald head
I'm presuming you are talking about lines around the sides / top / back of the head...

I dunno if this would work for you.. have you considered sleeping with a swimmers cap on?

It should be tight enough to cling to your head and might have just enough thickness to prevent the markings from being left on your head.

There's also a really thin kind of cloth cap that can be acquired and placed over the head before putting on the swimmers cap..

I see your in Hi., I don't know if there's any swim shops there, I'd look for a "Dick's" or another sports specialty store...
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think they are a small price to pay for the major improvement in how I feel and how long I am likely to live.

If it bothers you I would try a ski cap before putting the mask on, you may need to cut the bottom off to prevent it being bulky.

THe other option would be to get some very dense foam and cut strips a little wider than the mask head gear straps and glue them onto the underside of the straps.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2016, 01:18 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: I think they are a small price to pay for the major improvement in how I feel and how long I am likely to live.

If it bothers you I would try a ski cap before putting the mask on, you may need to cut the bottom off to prevent it being bulky.

The other option would be to get some very dense foam and cut strips a little wider than the mask head gear straps and glue them onto the underside of the straps.

They are definitely a small price to pay and I will continue to deal with them as I have for the last 17 months, but I am looking for something that may help reduce them somewhat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2016, 12:31 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: I hate the marks left behind after wearing my mask and they don't go away for several hours. I have tried loosening the head gear to prevent the marks, but then the masks leaks pretty much throughout the night.

What can us bald guys use/do to help prevent the marks left behind? What have others used to help? Thanks

I just wrap my head in pink attic insulation before putting on my mask...

Seriously, I have seen these gel pads that slide over the straps of masks. I haven't tried one of those personally, but I did buy a pad out of the same material for the bridge of my nose, which was literally bleeding from my Mirage Quattro mask. The pad totally solved the problem! It's kind of like a super-soft gummy bear.

Google "cpap gel straps" and you should be able locate something to help.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a Eson nasal mask. They will seal very loose.

Or Dreamwear.
Im trying one now and its like having nothing on. So much so im having a hard time getting used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Airfit P10, and done. You won't have marks.

Otherwise, search PAP-Cap. Available in mesh or solid, and optional chin strap. I might even take a look at a sporting goods store for a mesh skull cap. The last thing I would use is a plastic shower or swimming cap..Yikes!

If all else fails, the motorcycle-look Doo Rag could double up and make you look cool all day...there is a reason my name ends with "rider".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2016, 07:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed Airfit P10, and done. You won't have marks.

Otherwise, search PAP-Cap. Available in mesh or solid, and optional chin strap. I might even take a look at a sporting goods store for a mesh skull cap. The last thing I would use is a plastic shower or swimming cap..Yikes!

If all else fails, the motorcycle-look Doo Rag could double up and make you look cool all day...there is a reason my name ends with "rider".

A doo rag.... you must be a Harley rider Sleeprider. Thinking-about

If we are going to look at the bike options to solve the problem, then my full face ADV helmet definitely wont work. Dielaughing

But you are on to an idea there... there are also thermal hoods that look like a ski mask, but with a fully exposed face area [but they would possibly be too hot to wear most of the time]

Of maybe the thinnest beanie you can find.

You can also get a mesh skull cap that is used underneath a wig, though you may still get some marking with it.

Or walk around all day wearing a Hannibal Lecter mask, no one will notice the marks left by the CPAP headgear then. Shock
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a sheepskin sleeve with a Velcro closure over my straps and it eliminates the marking from the edges of my ResMeD Mirage Activa LT nasal mask. I keep the straps tight because of my beard and movement leakage. I bought the sleeves from an online vendor and they were located in the comfort department. Good luck with your quest. Please post if you have found a solution.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose a Toupee is out of the question. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,058 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [CPAP] AirFit P10 clip leaving marks deputypork 2 507 02-16-2023, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Washing gear in bleach? bbbl67 10 859 02-12-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: bbbl67

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.