Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem keeping reservoir clean
Problem keeping reservoir clean
I'm using a Resperonics REMstar Plus C-Flex 250P with it's heater humidifier, and have been using it since September 2011.

Lately I've been having a problem keeping the humidifier reservoir clean. I soak and clean it with a little Dawn dish soap in warm water, and every so often in the dishwasher. I only ever use it with distilled water. The next evening I look in it and see stuff(?) in the water. There is also grime on the heater plate - especially visible if you touch it.

The first time this happened I cleaned it and changed the filter, but it was back the next day. I'm also using one of the thin white filters with the dark grey foam one that fits in the recess on the back of the unit.

I've also removed and cleaned the round silicone seal that fits in the lid that closes on the top of the reservoir as well as the ones that seal the reservoir to the unit.

I have a small flashlight with a 24 LED floodlight on the side (it's really bright) - the face is about the size of a credit card. I hold it up against the side of the tank in the dark and anything in there is very visible.

The seal between the halves of the reservoir are ok and I'm pretty sure there are no cracks. When I hold it sideways with water in it, if there were cracks or any part of the seal was bad, it'd leak, and it doesn't. I think the seals are silicon and should probably outlast the machine.

The top pic here is before use, filled to the line, and the second one is the next morning (I forgot to put the black piece of plastic under it in the 2nd pic).

Any thoughts as to what that stuff is or anybody have a cure?
Note: When posting this I haven't been with ApneaBoard long enough to post images or links. If the pics don't show up, just add in the http stuff and get rid of the space.

[Image: ZHGj3KE.jpg]

Update: Yesterday I soaked it in warm water and a little Dawn for about an hour, and then into the dishwasher it went. The top pic was after it dried out, and the bottom one is from the next morning:

[Image: 9BU7zvS.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problem keeping reservoir clean
Hi stanstr,
WELCOME! to the forum.
Hang in there for suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Stanstr, welcome to Apnea Board.

To help clarify your problem, do you use distilled water, filtered or tap water?

By the way, you are permitted to attach images directly to your posts, though the size limit is restricted. See all the details here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...elp&hid=19

Post Reply Post Reply
Stanstr, replacement System One reservoirs are inexpensive at around $22 or $23. If you want to clean up the one you have, you probably need to disinfect it. White distilled vinegar does a good job. I recently posted I use a brewery disinfecting solution called Star San, just because it's around and works well. The vinegar needs to sit a while and then you'll need a toothbrush or similar way to manually clean the many nooks and crannies in that tray. It will solve your problem.

You may be due for a replacement machine soon. Try not to get stuck with a CPAP that does not provide data like your current one. Anyway, you might want to start getting your prescription in order so it is ready when you are.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only use distilled water.

When I put it together the images showed up as I expected. When I clicked to post the thread, it told me I can't post "...clickable links to this forum threads and posts. Minimum post count is 8 posts. But your post count is just 1 posts. You are not allowed to post images in this forum."

I saw the page about working with attachments. Maybe I should have tried that instead of using imgur and linking.

I wrote a board Admin, and was told to post it as a broken link, tell him and he will embed the images.

Thanks for your reply.

Post Reply Post Reply
The thought of putting a reservoir in the dishwasher does not sit well with me, after cleaning my dishwasher over the yrs.
Dishwasher soap is a very good cleaning agent, pick a large bowl and put a little dishwasher soap with vinegar & hot water in and swish it around for a bit and it should clean it. let it soak for 1/2 hr.
Rinse and air dry should give better results.
If you are not happy purchase new reservoir or new brand of distilled water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stanstr, I fixed your image links so they are embedded. Welcome to Apnea Board.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SuperSleeper!

Stan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone else:

I made a mistake in the 2nd pair of pictures update: I wrote "The top pic was after it dried out, and the bottom one is from the next morning", but it shoulda said that the top pic is before use, filled to the line, and the second one is the next morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2016, 09:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Stanstr, replacement System One reservoirs are inexpensive at around $22 or $23. If you want to clean up the one you have, you probably need to disinfect it. White distilled vinegar does a good job. I recently posted I use a brewery disinfecting solution called Star San, just because it's around and works well. The vinegar needs to sit a while and then you'll need a toothbrush or similar way to manually clean the many nooks and crannies in that tray. It will solve your problem.

You may be due for a replacement machine soon. Try not to get stuck with a CPAP that does not provide data like your current one. Anyway, you might want to start getting your prescription in order so it is ready when you are.

Thanks, but I have used white distilled vinegar - even though the instructions make no mention of it. The book says,
"CAUTION: Use a mild dishwashing detergent only for either hand washing or when using a dishwasher."

It is also a difficult thing to clean out - it has a lot of corners. I took a toothbrush and heated it just behind the head so I could bend it at about a 70 degree angle - works nicely, but still a bit big to get in everywhere.

I've never heard of Star San, but I like the Amazon description, "...a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. This synergistic blend provides a unique killing system that is unaffected by excessive organic soils." Also, wikipedia says "Billions of kilograms are produced annually." A unique killing system? Billions of kilograms?

I am looking at other CPAP systems as I think I should be getting a new one maybe later this year. I was looking at one with an exposed water tank, the Resmed S8. It looks like it'd be easier to clean, but I'd have to see one in person, and figure out the pluses and minuses.

The CPAP I'm using has a SD flash card for data.

My previous machine was a Puritan Bennet Goodknight 420G. The bottom came off the tank and it was much easier to clean.

Post Reply Post Reply
The S8 systems are old and you cannot view the data from their proprietary card without a special smartcard reader (not the same as an SD card reader).

Is that stuff in the water or on the surface of the water?

Where do you get your distilled water?

Have you tried switching brands of water?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 449 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,463 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.