Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem w/ air leakage
Problem w/ air leakage
I have been using my cpap mask for over 10 years. I have the breeze w/ the nasal pillows and I love it. All of a sudden though, i'm having problems with it. It started w/ air coming out of the nose. I've been piecing mine together and finally got a new mask. Same problem. I taped a strap under the part that holds the pillows and brought it up to the top of my head. that stopped the leaking out of the nose. but....

I'll be laying there sleeping and I make this god awful loud noise out of my mouth that wakes my hubby and I up and scared the heck out of me. It's like a vibration, or something coming from near the corners of my mouth. I shut my mouth tight and lay there waiting for it to happen again. It does. I don't understand after all these years why this is happening. the noise I make would win first prize in a burping contest!! It's that bad... Helppppp.... please. thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problem w/ air leakage
Hi Purplkoala,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might want to try a chinstrap, to see if that will help you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
That does sound like your mouth is coming open. It also sounds like maybe you are more congested right now than perhaps you have been in the past. Are you having any particular allergy issues? You might try a saline nasal rinse before you shut down for the night. And if necessary, as Trish suggests, try a chinstrap gently applied (the idea is to "encourage" you jaw to stay forward and your mouth to stay shut, not to force anything.)

...and welcome to our little world of happy campers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2014, 11:09 AM)retired_guy Wrote: That does sound like your mouth is coming open. It also sounds like maybe you are more congested right now than perhaps you have been in the past. Are you having any particular allergy issues? You might try a saline nasal rinse before you shut down for the night. And if necessary, as Trish suggests, try a chinstrap gently applied (the idea is to "encourage" you jaw to stay forward and your mouth to stay shut, not to force anything.)

...and welcome to our little world of happy campers!

R_G,

I am curious. How does a chin strap encourage ones jaw to stay forward and how would the jaw staying forward help mouth leaks?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2014, 09:39 PM)PaytonA Wrote: R_G,

I am curious. How does a chin strap encourage ones jaw to stay forward and how would the jaw staying forward help mouth leaks?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

"Gently applied" is about the only way I can think of to describe how I do it. And everybody should be able to do it the way I do it because after all, I'm the same.

Basically I learned way early on that if I put it on too tight I would get this terrific pain in between my jaw and my ear. I didn't really enjoy that all that much, so I loosened the thing up.

When I have it right, it takes just a little more effort to open my mouth than it takes to keep it shut. ..and when it's shut, the jaw just sits where it belongs, and my teeth nest comfortably within themselves.

But it's not tight at all. If I wanted to I could probably still eat one of those Banana Splits Ready for Sleep keeps talking about, although it is tight enough that it might be a little painful when the teeth come crashing down on the frozen strawberries. Don't know for sure, haven't tried it.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am working on closing my mouth and putting my tongue against the roof of my mouth as suggested. That seems to help some. I do have nasal rinse which I use when I get a sinus infection. It works like a charm. I have a love/hate relationship w/ this stuff. lol. i'll try the saline rinse. My mouth has been dry so I know it's opening at some time. not fond of the chin strap w/ all the other paraphernalia that i am wearing. lol. I'll try this for now and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Purplkoala sorry you are having these problems after all this time.
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you are able to sort your 'noises' out. I know what you mean about having to wear a chinstrap, I put it off for as long as possible. It was enough putting the mask on at night and now I have this not very comfortable chinstrap to wear as well.
It does give me the results I need though Sad

Good luck to you.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to look into a full face mask and start using Sleepyhead software if your machine is data capable.
Otherwise you never really know how well your therapy is working for you.

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,575 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 105 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,474 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 258 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.