Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with Autosense 10 central apnea detection
RE: Problem with Autosense 10 central apnea detection
(05-13-2016, 07:57 AM)johnthesleeper Wrote: I also have a severely deviated septum and enlarged turbinate. I refused the septoplasty and turbinectomy based on the volume of crappy comments on the possibly debilitating effects of turbinectomy and because I was prescribed a steroid spray that really helps me breathe better. I said to myself I would try to treat the apnea without the operation and if I fail then I could always get it. But now, I realize that my apnea is pretty high and if I can't treat it first, then the anasthesia would be dangerous so I'm caught in a chicken/egg type situation. Yesterday my nose was more blocked than usual and I was unable to tolerate the mask. Didn't even get to the pulse arousal stage. richb I know you've had the turbinectomy do u have any suggestions for me?

We share a problem. If you can't breathe you can't use the machine. I as well as several other members of this Forum suffer from stuffy/clogged noses at night. For some people, including me, nasal turbinates swell when you lay down to sleep. I had the turbinoplasty and I can say that it was mostly successful. My nose still clogs up most nights. I get up and use saline spray and wait until it unclogs enough to use the machine. I also use steroid spray and antihistamines at bed time. Prior to the surgery I was using a combination of Afrin and Steroid spray. I used the Afrin on just one side for 3 nights and switched to the other side for 3 nights. I had minimal to no rebound from the Afrin that way. Since the surgery I have been able to just about eliminate the Afrin use. That was the goal of the surgery. By the way anaesthesiologists know how to deal with breathing issues. I had a problem with low blood pressure during surgery. The anaesthesiologist dealt with that issue just fine. Another Apnea Board member swears by the Afrin use. No ENT will suggest you use Afrin regularly. Afrin causes nasal irritation and rebound swelling. I found a way to deal with the rebound but if you ask your Dr. my solution would not be recommended.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2016, 07:01 AM)johnthesleeper Wrote: Yesterday I tried to use the ramp but it doesn't disable the pulse

Ramp will not activate unless the ramp Start Pressure is lower than the Min Pressure.

Quote:Does anybody know of a good comfortable machine that does not pulse?

The Philips Dreamstation detects CA versus OA differently, with a single pressure pulse. Perhaps you would find it less annoying.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you vishline , I will try to get my hands on a dreamstation and try it out, sounds like a single pulse is just what I need.

Post Reply Post Reply
Richc, I am intrigued by your comment that the FOT is imperceptible. If I lie down awake with the mask and just hold my breath for 10 seconds, the mask starts to bounce on my face in a very perceptible manner and the graph shows the oscillations in pressure, it doesn't feel to me like imperceptible ultrasounds. Anyway I will post my data tomorrow...

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 10:48 PM)johnthesleeper Wrote: Richc, I am intrigued by your comment that the FOT is imperceptible. If I lie down awake with the mask and just hold my breath for 10 seconds, the mask starts to bounce on my face in a very perceptible manner and the graph shows the oscillations in pressure, it doesn't feel to me like imperceptible ultrasounds. Anyway I will post my data tomorrow...

G'day John. This is what the FOT looks like - a small, relatively high frequency change in pressure. It's not ultrasound. I'm very surprised that it is disturbing you - it is a very small amplitude change and most people aren't aware of it. It certainly shouldn't make your mask "bounce" on your face...

[attachment=2444]
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 10:48 PM)johnthesleeper Wrote: Richc, I am intrigued by your comment that the FOT is imperceptible. If I lie down awake with the mask and just hold my breath for 10 seconds, the mask starts to bounce on my face in a very perceptible manner and the graph shows the oscillations in pressure, it doesn't feel to me like imperceptible ultrasounds.

It's at around 4 Hz. I believe, that's not ultrasound it's infra-sound. I have never noticed it in two years of daily use.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 11:29 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 10:48 PM)johnthesleeper Wrote: Richc, I am intrigued by your comment that the FOT is imperceptible. If I lie down awake with the mask and just hold my breath for 10 seconds, the mask starts to bounce on my face in a very perceptible manner and the graph shows the oscillations in pressure, it doesn't feel to me like imperceptible ultrasounds. Anyway I will post my data tomorrow...

G'day John. This is what the FOT looks like - a small, relatively high frequency change in pressure.

1cm, 4hz.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 11:31 PM)palerider Wrote:
Quote:G'day John. This is what the FOT looks like - a small, relatively high frequency change in pressure.

1cm, 4hz.

And this is about one tenth of one percent of ambient air pressure at sea level.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I put the ramp to 45 min and yesterday I was able to use the mask for 8 hours! Was awake some of the time but mostly asleep and I wasn't aware of the pulse. My original sleeping test was AHI 25, mostly OSAs and some hypo. Now my graph shows only 0.51 OSA but 6.98 of CAs so I assume those are cpap induced CAs? I'm encouraged by the graph but although my AHI went down and I felt like I was sleeping most of the time, today I really feel like crap. Dizzy, tired and short of breath. Here is a snapshot of those CAs, should I just wait for these to subside on their own...
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2016, 10:23 AM)johnthesleeper Wrote: Ok I put the ramp to 45 min and yesterday I was able to use the mask for 8 hours! Was awake some of the time but mostly asleep and I wasn't aware of the pulse. My original sleeping test was AHI 25, mostly OSAs and some hypo. Now my graph shows only 0.51 OSA but 6.98 of CAs so I assume those are cpap induced CAs? I'm encouraged by the graph but although my AHI went down and I felt like I was sleeping most of the time, today I really feel like crap. Dizzy, tired and short of breath. Here is a snapshot of those CAs, should I just wait for these to subside on their own...

Hi johnthesleeper,

Uh oh. Looks like you have a degree of Complex Apnea. That is a combination of OSA and CA. Your sleep study showed the OSA and Hypopnea. It is very difficult to tell if Hypopneas are caused by Obstructive events or by Central events. It looks like (to me) that you have successfully treated the Obstructive events but in the course of that treatment you have converted the Hypopneas to Centrals (Clear Airway). These Centrals are probably responsible for how you are feeling in the AM. As I recall your pressures are fairly low. In my case the higher the pressure the more Centrals I experienced. The solution is very likely an ASV machine. That is an Auto Servo Ventilator machine such as the Aircurve 10 ASV. You usually don't qualify for such a machine until you fail with a standard CPAP or BiPap machine. Keep posting and expect some more discussion about your situation. You may find some suggestions that will try to address the Centrals with some machine adjustments. Try these before you start the process of geting an ASV machine.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,576 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 217 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 126 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,086 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 639 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 180 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.