Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with Autosense 10 central apnea detection
RE: Problem with Autosense 10 central apnea detection
I would not make too much of one night of results. Now that you can sleep, give it a little while for your body to get used to it. At least a week. Then see what is going on.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys can you explain something to me, when you look at 06:00:25, I get an OA for about 20 secs. A that time I am only at a pressure of 8 out of a maximum of 12 but even though I am far from my maximum pressure, the machine has no reaction whatsoever, stays at 8 and does not raise its pressure. Is this normal? What good would it do for me to raise the max and try to clear the OAs if the machine doesn't get to the max?

Attached Files
.pdf   sleepy2016-05-17.pdf (Size: 291.14 KB / Downloads: 90)
Post Reply Post Reply
That's an isolated OA that occurs with no detectable associated flow limitation or snoring. The machine is programed to only increase the pressure if two or more events occur within a minute or two of each other OR if the event is also associated with flow limitations or snoring.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johnthesleeper
I just got the resmed airsense 10 autoset as well, I was custom to using an older CPAP that did not have all the new features and my pressure setting was raised to 14 recently as well which is high
I was using the mirage fx nasal Mask as well and did get some of the same affects you are experiencing. After talking to the Resp Therapist she suggested to move from a nasal Mask and go to a full mask that covered the nose and mouth to help with that issue. Hope this helps. I will be using the full mask tonight. .....Good sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I thought flow limitation was represented by a flat flow rate? What technically does flow limitation mean then?

Ressler: I also have a mirage fx and a quattro. Come to think of it, the enhanced FOT arousals also only happened on the mirage fx; when I use the quattro, I do not feel the FOT even without a ramp. So I think richc was right and there must be some sort of breathing reaction that only occurs with the nasal mask and that amplifies the FOT...
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2016, 07:02 AM)johnthesleeper Wrote: Oh I thought flow limitation was represented by a flat flow rate? What technically does flow limitation mean then?
A flat line on the flow rate graph that lasts for 10 seconds or more is an apnea. If it's shorter than 10 seconds, it represents a short pause in breathing.

A flow limitation is a change in the shape of the inhalation parts of the flow rate graph that are indicative of increasing respiratory effort due to subtle changes in the airway. They are thought to be indications that the airway is at higher risk of collapsing or partially collapsing and hence APAPs are programmed to increase the pressure when flow limitations are detected.

Sometimes it's easy to spot the flow limited inhalations---they're flatter on top or they have a distinct "chair shape" that is different from the usual round inhalation shape. Sometimes the changes are so subtle that it's hard to see why the breaths are earmarked as "flow limited".
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2016, 07:02 AM)johnthesleeper Wrote: Oh I thought flow limitation was represented by a flat flow rate? What technically does flow limitation mean then?

flow limitation is explained, along with other aspects of SDB, in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, palerider, for that link. I learned a a little more about SDB.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find I'm having a similar problem with my Airsense 10, but perhaps I'm just too new to understand what's what.
History: Got a new CPAP in September and used it with a Nose Mask for 2 months. Due to problems in my nasal airways, I had many problems with the mask although the snoring was greatly alleviated.

At the end of November, I returned both the new machine and the mask, and got a USED machine (financial problems dictated this) as well as the Nasal Pillows. The nasal pillows seemed to have alleviated any problems my nasal airways had, but now I'm having more problems with increased snoring.

The Cpap was originally set at 9-15, and then with the nasal pillows he put it at 12 (no range.) The 12 pressure is great - I can feel it literally opening my nasal passages in my nostrils BUT now I have more issues with the snoring getting bad again. I suggested and the Dr agreed to put the range back, this time at 12-15, yet the snoring continues.

The feeling is great, I can breathe well, but now I'm concerned about pressure. In the middle of the night I will wake up and feel the air, but I don't' feel that "blowing up" of my nasal passages like I did when I first turned it on. Additionally, last night I stopped breathing through my nose for a bit to sort of 'test' the machine (I have no idea what it's supposed to do, so I was curious) Nothing happened. When I started breathing normally again, the air started again, too, but still not that hard 'blowing' a I have in the beginning.

They said that the unit I got (the used one) had less than 200 hours on it. (My guess is about 1-2 months.) Is it possible it is in need of repair? Have I possibly set something wrong? I look forward to your feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marvinator,
First, order the clinicians manual for your cpap. This will explain how to change your pressures.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Not sure if your machine is working properly or not. Did you get a warranty with it?

Snoring may indiciate your pressure range is not set optimal to prevent your airway from collapsing.

I suggest you download #SleepyHead software and start downloading data from the SD card.
Then someone here can take a look and see whats going on with you. You will need at least 4 posts to upload us a screenshot.

Do you know your AHI reading and breakdown, hypopneas, obstructives, clear airways? This info makes a diffence on what pressure your apap should be set to.

Also, a couple links to help once you have downloaded your data to #SleepyHead and how to organize your graphs and upload here.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

I know Im throwing alot at you, but the bottom line is you will have to be your own advocate for your heath, especially when it comes to Sleep Apnea. Most doctors and DME's are not that helpful.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,669 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,571 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 212 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,068 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 634 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 180 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.