Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with Full Face Mask
Problem with Full Face Mask
I've been on CPAP since mid-february and really struggling with the narrowing of my nasal passages and congestion blockages because of it.

I've been using a Nasal Mask and trying to convert to a FF Mask (and mouth breathe) when I'm too clogged up for the Nasal mask.

The problem I'm experiencing (and it happens every time I try the FF Mask) is what feels like my throat closing shut and then the pressure forcing it open. It even feels like the mask is popping up against the pressure. When it happens it occurs after an inhale as I start exhaling.

Summary:
  • Using AirFit F20 
  • APAP 8-14 cmH20
  • Occurs with EPR and without EPR
  • Occurs whether I'm actually trying to sleep or just practising trying to get used to an FF mask
  • Occurs every time I have tried to use mask
  • Only happens when mouth breathing
  • Happens when I am wide awake and alert. 
  • It makes sleeping impossible because the throat popping sensation instantly bring me back
I'm not sure if my throat is closing and the pressure is actually causing back pressure to pop the mask, but that's the best way I can describe it. I'm hoping its something else.

BTW when my passages are clear and I'm able to use my Nasal Mask, therapy has been terrific.

Any advice regarding mask, fitting, breathing technique anything that might allow me to mouth-breathe with a FF Mask is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problem with Full Face Mask
Are you using any humidification? If so, have you tried increasing and decreasing its levels to see if it has an effect your blockage? You might need a ClimateLine hose to obtain positive results.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crimson,

Yes, I have tried various humidity settings and I do have a ClimateLineAir heated tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2018, 10:55 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Hi Crimson,

Yes, I have tried various humidity settings and I do have a ClimateLineAir heated tube.

I use the airfit f20 and have noticed I have to raise the mask slightly higher on my nose to allow nasal passages to open. I also have to move the mask to the right or left to allow both passages to be open.

Stick with it the benefits are enormous.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the F20 for the first time last night and had some issues with leaks around the sides...it's a Large, after buying it, I realized that I may need a medium, so I ordered a cushion...should be here today...will give it a go tonight.
A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Post Reply Post Reply
I fall back on this far too often, but you can probably use the Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask, even when you are congested.  It will open up your nasal passages because the air is place directly into the nares without any compression of your sinuses along the side of your nose.  Consider for a moment where the sinuses are located, and how a full-face or even a nasal mask causes pressure to them. This pressure can actually cause the congestion you sense. This does not happen with nasal pillows.  There is a good reason they work, even with a severe cold. I have been using nasal pillows over 10 years and never used a full-face backup.  Never missed a day yet.

[Image: how-to-relieve-sinus-pressure-1.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the suggestions thus far.

Here is some background information:
  • I have had the narrowing of the passages issue for approximately 2 months now.
  • My first two weeks on CPAP went very well, and then the issue started. It has gotten so bad lately that I now experience nasal breathing problems in the day.
  • I have seen both my family doctor, who doesn't know much about CPAP and my Sleep Study doctor. Neither have a solution. I have been referred to a ENT, but I don't know how long it will take before I can see the ENT. 
  • I have been prescribed Flonase about a month and a half ago and upon the Drs suggestion started at 1 squirt per nostril per day, and worked up to 1 squirt per nostril in the morning, and two squirts per nostril in the evening. 
  • There really is not a lot of congestion, but the passages are so constricted that what little there is seems to block me up completely.
  • Hydrating with Saline, using a NetiPot, and even using the Flonase often clogs me up as the passages seem to get sticky.
  • Using Otrivin clears me up instantly and allows me to breath but because of the potential for rebound and addiction I can't use it more than three days.

(04-26-2018, 05:44 AM)gwc2795 Wrote: I use the airfit f20 and have noticed I have to raise the mask slightly higher on my nose to allow nasal passages to open. I also have to move the mask to the right or left to allow both passages to be open.

Stick with it the benefits are enormous.

I have been extremely committed to it, only on one occasion in the 2.5 months have I not used it. And on that occasion I slept a couple hours in the sitting up position.

(04-26-2018, 08:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I fall back on this far too often, but you can probably use the Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask, even when you are congested.  It will open up your nasal passages because the air is place directly into the nares without any compression of your sinuses along the side of your nose.  Consider for a moment where the sinuses are located, and how a full-face or even a nasal mask causes pressure to them. This pressure can actually cause the congestion you sense. This does not happen with nasal pillows.  There is a good reason they work, even with a severe cold. I have been using nasal pillows over 10 years and never used a full-face backup.  Never missed a day yet.
I have an appointment with DME tech next week, I'll ask her about this.

On some nights when I'm semi-clogged I had inhale through my nose but can't exhale.

I am rally getting desperate.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can only echo what Sleeprider already said. I have only had one cold since starting my therapy (which is a big improvement from before, since I do have young children.) I can tell you that even though my nose was completely stuffed up due to the cold, once I upped the humidity setting on my machine and started using my P10 nasal pillows mask at bedtime like usual, it offered me almost instant relief after a couple of minutes and I could breathe very, very well. Much better than without I have to say.

That was the first time that I was able to breathe properly during the day when I was completely clogged. I also slept on my back, like usual. I found when I turned to my sides my results were not quite as good. But then I always sleep on my back (once I trained myself to do so) since I started therapy. I get much less (or actually zero) problems with leaks that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dog slobber,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2018, 08:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I fall back on this far too often, but you can probably use the Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask, even when you are congested.  It will open up your nasal passages because the air is place directly into the nares without any compression of your sinuses along the side of your nose.  Consider for a moment where the sinuses are located, and how a full-face or even a nasal mask causes pressure to them. This pressure can actually cause the congestion you sense. This does not happen with nasal pillows.  There is a good reason they work, even with a severe cold. I have been using nasal pillows over 10 years and never used a full-face backup.  Never missed a day yet.
(04-26-2018, 11:52 AM)Marillion Wrote: I can only echo what Sleeprider already said.  I have only had one cold since starting my therapy (which is a big improvement from before, since I do have young children.)   I can tell you that even though my nose was completely stuffed up due to the cold, once I upped the humidity setting on my machine and started using my P10 nasal pillows mask at bedtime like usual, it offered me almost instant relief after a couple of minutes and I could breathe very, very well.  Much better than without I have to say.  

That was the first time that I was able to breathe properly during the day when I was completely clogged.  I also slept on my back, like usual.  I found when I turned to my sides my results were not quite as good.  But then I always sleep on my back (once I trained myself to do so) since I started therapy.  I get much less (or actually zero) problems with leaks that way.

I think trying Nasal Pillows could be the way to go. 

Thank you both.

Any suggestions switching to Nasal Pillows from a Nasal Mask (I currently use ResMed N20).
  • Sizing?
  • Fitting head gear?
  • Getting accustomed to it.

I also notice you both use the ResMed P10. That sounds like a good place to start.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 187 9 hours ago
Last Post: PersonInNY
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 341 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 183 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 155 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 359 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 5,053 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 691 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.