Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with Full Face Mask
RE: Problem with Full Face Mask
The ResMed P10 is very good. It works much better than their Swift FX model that preceded it. Nasal pillows come in three sizes, s m l, and is easy to put on. My problem is that the large pillows are about the same size as the Swift FX medium pillows which are too small for me. I find myself adjusting the mask frequently which keeps me awake due to leaks. I am looking at possibly going to a FFM to try to avoid some of that leakage. If you are a mouth breather you will need to use a chin strap with nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Today, I discussed the possibility of trying Nasal Pillows.

She discouraged me from trying Nasal Pillows stating that my pressure would be too high and it would be too uncomfortable for me. She also stated that even though I'm at (8-14 cmH20) APAP, I'm at 13 cm most of the time.

Sleepyhead charts don't support this and as I started dialing in my pressures often my pressure was well below 13.

Having said that I would like to hear from Pillow users, especially p10 users, what pressure they are on and at what pressure does it become to uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2018, 12:56 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Today, I discussed the possibility of trying Nasal Pillows.

She discouraged me from trying Nasal Pillows stating that my pressure would be too high and it would be too uncomfortable for me. She also stated that even though I'm at (8-14 cmH20) APAP, I'm at 13 cm most of the time.

Sleepyhead charts don't support this and as I started dialing in my pressures often my pressure was well below 13.

Having said that I would like to hear from Pillow users, especially p10 users, what pressure they are on and at what pressure does it become to uncomfortable.

As far as I've heard, the P10 handles the pressure just fine. I do not have them, but there's a lot here that do. They seem to be fine at higher pressure and comfort does not seem to be an issue to most.

No offense, but the person that told you that is just blowing smoke. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2018, 12:56 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Today, I discussed the possibility of trying Nasal Pillows.

I've used Resmed P10 airfit at pressures all the way up to 25cm with no problems.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the ResMed Airfit P10 with pressures easily within your limits for over 2 years. My pressure is 10-14cmH2O and has been for almost 6 years. I have no problem with too much pressure. I do have problems with mask leakage, however. That is why I am going to try a FFM to see if I can get the leakage rate down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the P10 and find it very comfortable. It can handle the pressure well, but if you open your mouth you will get excessive leakage of course. However, I have trouble keeping the mask on my face. It is too bad that ResMed would not supply it with some real headgear like the F20 has. The P10 straps are just too flimsy to work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My pressures are shown on the side-bar, and go to 18. I frequently exceed 14 cm with no problems. It sounds like your DME is either unfamiliar with the mask, or prefers one with more margin. The standard retail package for the Resmed Airfit P10 comes with all three sizes and the headgear. You will probably need the large, but don't let this person try to fit you and removed the "extra pillows", she is clearly clueless.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new to CPAP but I have dealt with constricted nose breathing seemingly forever. I even use my hands when falling asleep to slightly spread my nasal passages by  stretching the skin next to my nostril away from my nose. I usually get enough relief to fall asleep. I tried breath rite strips but they don't spread the nostrils in the way that works for me. 

So when I got my first full face I can no longer spread my nostrils and I get the same constriction and end up mouth breathing and thirsty all night.  

The Dream Wear has helped me by acting kinda like pillows but also giving me oral CPAP at the same time.
Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned above by a few people. The P10 is perfectly fine with even higher pressures than what you are using. As is often the case, sadly, these DME advisors can be lacking in knowledge. I have run into some that really knew what they were talking about and others...well let's just say one warned me that if I adjusted pressures myself on my machine I ran the risk of severely injuring my lungs. Smile

To limit and virtually eliminate mouth breathing, I use a medical grade paper tape and have stopped using a chin strap. This method may not work for everyone, but it has worked very well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,582 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,463 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.