Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with New Resmed Airsense 10
RE: Problem with New Resmed Airsense 10
Now I see what you are concerned about, the small brief fluctuations in pressure after the EPR pressure drop and before the next EPR pressure increase. I don't see those in my chart. They appear to reflect similar small variations in your flow rate which I also don't see in mine. Mine were generated during sleep. Walla Walla may be correct about ragged breathing while awake and it may be the pattern reflects that. I suspect even with a constant pressure from the machine, the mask pressure would vary slightly with your breathing flow rate. But I'm not sure. As Walla Walla said, without more data guessing is the best we can do.

I don't know how you purchased your machine but if it was from a DME with a local office they should be able to check it for you.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again everyone, appreciate the input! 

I've never had graphs like this in 5 years of CPAP, and I just tried the device for another hour. Same problem, same squiggly graphs. (attached) 

IMO, definitely a device malfunction. A loose ball-bearing, anything, something in the motor that's not allowing it to keep the pressure stable. 

Another piece of evidence that the machine is defunct -- the autoset went up to the highest setting despite being awake and breathing normally.

Now, I just wanted to make sure before I send it back for a new one, that resmed's aren't maybe just made this way. But from your last post Melman, I can infer that this is not normal with resmeds. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I looked at some of my charts for the first few minutes after I turned the machine on but before I fell asleep and my mask pressure graph looks more like yours. The line smooths out after I fall asleep. So I don't know that our machines are behaving differently.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
That chart shows me a better breathing pattern than what I saw in your original chart.
I do not see a machine problem.

Feel free to have it checked out.

What Melman is saying is why I asked to see the night as a set of Sleepyhead charts to see it in context.  We can frequently, not always, see when you are asleep or awake and that does make a big difference.  Usually what we see at the start and end of a session is what we call SWJ or sleep wake junk.

Suggestion, if you do replace this machine, do NOT get a Respironics machine as they regularly send probing pulses that are much larger than this.  This statement is targeted specifically at you and not anyone else reading the post.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2018, 09:11 AM)Melman Wrote: I looked at some of my charts for the first few minutes after I turned the machine on but before I fell asleep and my mask pressure graph looks more like yours. The line smooths out after I fall asleep. So I don't know that our machines are behaving differently.

Thanks Melman! And you have a resmed ? Would it be possible to post a snapshot of the first few minutes before sleep ?

Hope it's not too much to ask, but could help me get some peace of mind. 

And thanks Bonjour for the input. I've just never had these rugged graphs, and maybe it's a respironics thing, but right now I can't even fall asleep with it, the pressure is so unstable.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your used to the way Resperonics does its Aflex and Cflex pressure releaf, as against Resmed do their EPR the triggering, rise and fall of pressure can feel very different to a longtime user of Respironics machines. Its not wrong just different, try turning off EPR Pressure relief - any reason why you changed from Philis to Resmed if you were being treated successfully as the algorithms are different and can feel strange and take some getting used to moving from one vendor to another.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought, is the machine set up for the right mask?
The peeks might be you that is feeling a bit anxious while awake using the machine.
Also, I know that while I am awake, I breath differently and get strange results, after I fall asleep it all smooths out.
If your machine is set up properly, it should be fine once asleep.
What does you charts look like after you are sleeping?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, all the settings are correct. I've triple checked on that one. Here's a graph in the middle of a nap, and with the mask pressure graph zoomed in. 

The machine seems to be overshooting to keep the pressure stable, hence the bump at the end of expiration. I definitely feel the bump, and the overall unstable pressure of the machine. 

Pretty sure this is not normal ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Finally, below is also a picture of using it without EPR. Seems to me, the mask pressure should be more stable than that with EPR off ??

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2018, 02:00 AM)DS123 Wrote: Thanks Melman! And you have a resmed ? Would it be possible to post a snapshot of the first few minutes before sleep ? 

I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Here is a snapshot from a few moments when I know I was awake. As you can see, the mask pressure graph is not smooth during the exhale phase. But it causes me no discomfort. I'm not even aware of the small variations. I don't think what your seeing indicates a machine problem but given your level of discomfort it may not be the machine for you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 169 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,569 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 170 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,192 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 171 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 5,037 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,253 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.