Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with SoClean2
Problem with SoClean2
After I bought my SoClean2, I found that it worked great and I didn't have to wash my hose, mask, and reservoir every two or three days anymore. And I woke up without a headache in the morning. 

This is no longer true. Now it's almost as if I didn't have it, because if I don't very frequently wash the mask, hose, etc. I get headaches that interrupt my sleep and make me uncomfortable upon waking up. I don't mind the residue on the mask or the smell of the ozone.

I have the following questions:

1. Is this typical?
2. Is there something short of sending it for repair that can help? I replaced the filter and other part, which didn't help.
3. Is it possible to repair the machine to correct this? If so, I'm wondering how long it would take to send it in and get it back
4. Would it be worth it to buy a new one or is this likely to happen again? As you know, insurance doesn't cover a replacement and I think I'm out of warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
[split] SoClean 2
If it were me I'd start washing the equipment again and chuck the SoClean. Shoot if you washed it once a week it would still be cleaner than what SoClean does.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problem with SoClean2
Ditto.

SoClean does not actually clean anything. It may (or may not) inhibit bacterial growth, but it is not a cleaner.
Even the user's manual states that you STILL have to physically clean your equipment regularly.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
As you know, the whole purpose of the SoClean2 is to kill bacteria, which is what causes the headaches and sore throats. And when I first bought it the headaches and sore throats went away, and I didn't even have to wash it that frequently. It made a big difference in my sleep. But now, in spite of it going on and my smelling the ozone in the mask it doesn't seem to have any effect.

So what are you saying, exactly? That you know for a fact that SoCleans don't work and therefore I shouldn't get it fixed or replaced? If so, what is your opinion based upon?
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to my message of a few minutes ago, let me repeat from my original question. As I said, I have been frequently washing the reservoir, hose, and mask in addition to the SoClean2, typically every two or three days. I'm still having problems, which had disappeared after I first bought the SoClean2. Please respond to my message only if you have some actual helpful information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I won't try to convince you. But I'll direct you to a Thread that had a good long discussion on it. You might like reading it. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht=SoClean
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla and others on here are correct. That thread is an excellent one to read through to give you more info with even some solid input by a subject matter expert on germs.

In all seriousness, this So Clean machine does not clean and is NOT worth spending your money on. Save your money and wash it with soap and water regularly instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not heard that SoClean prevents morning headaches, we usually rely on effective therapy for that. My recommendation is that you start using a more detailed software like #Sleepyhead, and look for issues that might correlate to days you wake up with headaches. Unless your machine is badly contaminated, I'm at a loss as to what "pathogens" could be associated with the symptoms you describe. Considering you in fact take good care of your equipment, I don't think hygiene has anything to do with how your're feeling. Let's look for the real cause.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I had to guess, I would think that the device in there that produces ozone was not working.  I can't tell you about getting it fixed as I have no knowledge but you should call them as they are very helpful.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
so I have one and love it. it does have many limitations and does not do it all, nothing really does IMHO. Anyway headaches are usually caused by CO2 retention, I had them, my doctor changed a setting and they left and never came back. It was too early in the process for me to have paid much attention to what he changed.

the soclean should not have anything to do with sleeping with apnea. it cleans the surface of bacteria and by cleans I mean it kills bacteria and not that it somehow blows the dead bacteria out of the machine.

it does not remove oil or any other "film" that may be in or on the machine, this may effect leaks. You say you are still cleaning the equipment, so oil should not be a problem

if you smell ozone in the mask/tube then the soclean is doing exactly what it should be doing. it only generates ozone and pumps it through the CPAP and then times a "soak" cycle. that's it. it is not treatment. it is not even on when you use your CPAP.

as for not sleeping or waking with a headache you need to look elsewhere for that. sleephead and your actual data will let you get help about that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,255 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,390 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 304 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 536 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 374 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,319 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.