Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with air tube
RE: Problem with air tube
Did they give you a brand name or a knockoff? My brother had his hose for over 3 years and it was damaged while he was in the hospital. The DME sent him a knockoff 'standard' hose instead of his Resmed heated hose. Lasted 2 or 3 weeks. I called them and told them they sent him the wrong hose and now this one is damaged. I wasn't home to check that this was the right hose. DME sent a new one and no problem since then. The thing was that he would be happy with a non-heated hose as he rarely uses that function, but if we don't order the heated hose, he gets a knockoff instead of the Respironics universal hose.

Why did his knockoff fail so fast? He sleeps in a recliner and when he leans back, the hose catches on the arm of the chair. Doesn't appear to affect the brand name hoses, but the knockoffs are cheap and can't take the pressure. Same thing happens with a regular bed if you turn over and pull on the hose.

I always get 'dirt bag' status from my Mom from insisting on brand name anything, but honestly, if the knock off worked I'd be happy with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A hose hanger / holder and a hose cover is invaluable. Both do a great job of keeping the hose out of harm's way.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Misquitobait for the feedback on this.

The generic hose is about one quarter of the price and the one I have seen doesnt have any heating so  if the quality is compromised too then they need to be very cheap.

I think I was unlucky maybe I had squashed or kinked my hose to put some unusual strain on it.

just keep breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi.

Got a hole at each side of a CPAP tube, near the connectors, and believed it should be easy to fix.
I browsed the internet but it appeared that nobody developed a reasonable solution (at least I could not find it), such I developed one:

Procedure to repair small holes in a CPAP tube or even a ripped of tube):

Required material:

1. Methylated spirit
2. Paper towel
3. Silicon paste
4. Few toothpicks
5. Old news paper
6. Dish detergent
7. Plastic shrinking tube, having a starting diameter slightly larger than the smallest connector of your CPAP tube.
       Shrinking tubes are often used for battery packs and to wrap/protect electrical cabling.
       I bought a 50cm piece, 30 mm diameter for less than 1 dollar.
8. Scissors
9. Pan with water and stove or a watercooker.

1. Spot the holes in the tube to be repaired.

2. Clean the area around the hole and part of the connectors using methylated spirit and paper towel.

3. Protect your working bench using an old newspaper or similar.

4. Put some of the silicon paste (your preferred colour) on a corner of your newspaper.
       Assure you have sufficient silicon paste available (you want more you need and certainly not to less).

In case you like, you may use medical grade silicon paste (in my case I decided to use normal silicon paste).

5. Put some silicon paste at a sufficient large area around the holes, such that (after drying) pressure on the silicon paste will remain the hole sealed.

6. Tip your finger with dish detergent, Next, gently smoothen the silicon surface using your finger.

Start from a top side of the silicon paste,
       slide your finger such no dish detergent will be captured within the silicone layer or between the silicone layer and the surfaces of the tube/connectors.

In case unexperienced,
       do some trials for this step (e,g, using something comparable to the part you want to repair). Take your time and be patient to complete this step.

7. Wait for the silicon paste to dry (at least few hours).

8. Cut the required parts/lengths of the shrinking tube.

9. Pull your first part of the shrinking over the smallest connector of your CPAP tube towards the repair area at the most other end of that smallest connector

10. Pull the shrinking tube over the part of the CPAP tube (including the silicone material to keep the hole closed),
       such the silicon material is in the centre of the shrinking tube
      (or the shrinking tube is covering part of the connector in case the hole to be repaired is near the connector).

11. Boil the water.
     Turn of the stove (or water cooker) and dip the part with the shrinking tube one or 2 seconds in the hot water (or pour the hot water over the shrinking tube.

The shrinking tube will shrink immediate and capture the silicon between the shrinking tube and the hole.

12. Repeat step 11 for each hole to be repaired.

13. In case of a large hole (or even almost cut tube) you may shrink a larger piece of the shrinking tube over the CPAP tube.

In case you like, you may put some silicon at each side of the cut part before you encapsulate the CPAP tube within the shrinking tube,
       but it will even close without the silicon.

14. Your CPAP tube is ready to continue its life and you might be happy that your tube will serve still a long time service.
Post Reply Post Reply
For many years I have used plain unheated hose that is quite cheap-and I keep an insulated sleeve on my hose year-round. I never get rainout, and my hoses last for years. I never use a heated hose, and really don't want one..

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.