Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with mask and EPR
RE: Problem with mask and EPR
I'm looking at the "Pressure 9, EPR 2" image as I write this. The CA's seem to come toward the end of your sleep session. That doesn't seem to be a cause to be alarmed. Look at the Events tab and expand the Clear Airway events. In parentheses "()" will list the length, in seconds, that they occurred. Unless they are fairly long, I wouldn't worry about them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2020, 02:53 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I'm looking at the "Pressure 9, EPR 2" image as I write this.  The CA's seem to come toward the end of your sleep session.  That doesn't seem to be a cause to be alarmed.  Look at the Events tab and expand the Clear Airway events.  In parentheses "()" will list the length, in seconds, that they occurred.   Unless they are fairly long, I wouldn't worry about them.

Interesting. I didn't know about that tab. Thanks, great tip! 

So, what constitutes "fairly long"? Looks they were all between 10 and 16 seconds. 

Here's an image I'd like an opinion about. It's an OA event that apparently lasted 24 seconds. At first I was, like, holy sh-t, that's bad! But then I looked before it, and saw a disturbance, like I might have woken up, and then I looked a bit before that and saw another disturbance that looked like a wake up (and no coinciding flow limitation, by the way, which goes along with my theory that a lot of my arousals are actually NOT necessarily from SDB events...a big question I am trying to solve with all this...). Also, when I am trying to relax myself, I will often quite naturally take a deep breath, let it out, and can quite comfortably lie there, not breathing for a long time. 24 seconds is longer than I normally do when awake, but it's not inconceivable to me that in the middle of the night, not being conscious enough to remember it, I might exhale and rest for a long time. Anyway, the point is that, to me, it looks like I was trying to go back to sleep when that OA was flagged, and as such it's SWJ, and not a real OA. Can you tell me what you think?

https://ibb.co/sJ8qTxc
Post Reply Post Reply
Even with the worst FL you are showing here they are only bad if they are bothering you.  Your numbers are fine.  Your CA events are not bad.  Physically nothing here NEEDS to be chased.  How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Fred said, your numbers aren't bad. If you are feeling good, stop chasing the numbers.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel exhausted/worn out. Every day (to varying degrees), from restless, fragmented sleep. That's the thing, I'm not chasing numbers, I'm chasing good quality sleep. I am forcing myself to try PAP therapy simply because I cannot figure out why my sleep is so fragmented/broken, and having looked into, and tried, and ruled out pretty much everything else, what's left, but SDB, or perhaps PTSD/trauma sticking it to me when asleep.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about apnea in my case, as my home sleep test didn't show oxygen issues (as far as I can tell), and so I feel my apnea events aren't necessarily abnormal/requiring treatment, since I also think many of them are possibly SWJ. What concerns me is flow limitations, because I've read on this board how disturbing they can be. The thing is, as my OA example above shows, I'm not sure that my arousals are necessarily being precipitated or caused by FL. I'm basically trying to solve a mystery here, as to why I have such fragmented sleep, having ruled out sleep hygiene, thyroid, etc. That said, when I was starting, and was experimenting with pressures around 6-8, with EPR at 0 or 1 mostly, I was seeing a lot of flow limitations. You can see that in all my screenshots, but especially the "7-8, EPR 1" screenshot is a good example.

So, I'm trying to learn and dig into things as much as I can. If you wouldn't mind, could you/someone knowledgeable about this stuff please take a look at that OA screenshot linked at the bottom of reply #22, and tell me if you agree with my assessment of that event? Or give my your assessment?
Post Reply Post Reply
How old is your mattress? Pillow(s)? Other things effect sleep quality as well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I know, thanks. Seriously, you have no idea how much time and money and effort I have put into researching and experimenting. Right now what I really need is help with this PAP stuff. I could really use some help interpreting something like that OA event I'm asking about. I'm trying to figure out if I should even be forcing myself to keep trying PAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello jomama.  Shy

I empathize with you regarding your sleep.  All my nights are split up sessions.  It is very frustrating.  In my case, I do have FLOW LIMIT issues that the trusted advisors are trying to help me solve.  I believe I have other concerns with my results they are trying to help me with.  I fully understand the effort, money, and time that it can take to try to achieve decent sleep.  As I was told by these same advisors many hundreds of posts ago, "it's how you feel, not the numbers" and I have felt like poo.  So I keep at it.  At times I think I should give up, but I KNOW this board will help me find my good sleep, or at least much better.  Though it seems it will be much more trial and error in my case.

Keep asking your questions, and as long as it appears to the advisors that you are trying everything on your end to have good sleep hygiene and such, I am sure the right advisors will help you along.  Sometimes they are pretty gruff or straight forward in their manner, but it seems to work for the most part.

As for your images, I too am on a MAC.  I use the built in Mac SCREENSHOT program, it works beautifully.  You should have it too if you are indeed on a Mac.  I then change the file name to whatever I want and then open the file in PREVIEW.  There I use the TOOLS to make the image size 72.  Then when I close it I choose SAVE when it asks.  Make sure the file is saved as a .png

Good Luck
Plmnb
Phoebe
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
from Post 22
You wanted my interpretation

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2020, 08:23 PM)bonjour Wrote: from Post 22
You wanted my interpretation

Thank you, much appreciated! So, correct me if I'm wrong, but your assessment agrees with mine that this is likely not a real OA event that would be cause for concern?

Would you also be able to speak to what constitutes "fairly long" when it comes to those CA events that were flagged, and if you think it's possible that they, too, are SWJ?

(I'm trying to learn how to interpret events in these charts, so this kind of help is invaluable.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,574 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,474 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.