Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with mask and EPR
Problem with mask and EPR
Trying to combat flow limitations, I have been trying to experiment with raising EPR, but I have a baffling problem. I use an F&P Simplus FFM, and when I set the EPR to 3 I feel this kind of balloon like inflation around the mask on inhale, and deflation on exhale. I just spent over 20 minutes resting and trying it and it's just so disruptive. 

It happens much less on EPR 2, but I'm still getting FL, even at higher pressures, around 10.5, so I need to try a higher EPR to try to get those FL down, but I can't because of this issue. I can't imagine what it would be like with a BiPAP at even higher differential. I can't even think of trying Bilevel if I'm having this problem at EPR 3. Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problem with mask and EPR
Physics: A given given pressure applied to a large area will lift with more force than the same pressure applied over a smaller area.

a pressure of 10 cmw applied to a 100 square cm mask lifts with a force of 1000 gms, will lift 1 kg of weight.
a pressure of 10 cmw applied to a 10 square cm mask lifts with a force of 100 gms, will lift 0.1 kg of weight.
The physics solution is to try a smaller mask
This is also why nasal and pillow masks are much less problematic from leaks than full face masks.
This physics in the principal on which hovercraft operate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, I tried smaller masks and cannot use them, for one reason or another, such as issues with air escaping from mouth, so it's gotta be FFM for me. Also, I had more leak issues fit wise with the nasals than the Simplus. I do get leak issues at higher pressures, but less so. I can't really do higher pressures though unless I can use EPR, hence this problem.

Does anyone else use a FFM with EPR 3, or a BiLevel at even higher pressure support? And do you not have this issue?....
Post Reply Post Reply
What happens with a pressure of 7 and an EPR of 3?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board,

FWIW my ASV is set to give max IPAP of 26. And my PS is basically the same in concept as your EPR (PS adds pressure while EPR reduces pressure) but my PS range is 4-13. I and my F20 AirFit full face mask handle it OK. If you just started CPAP therapy, it'll get better with more use. Try some mask on time while reading or TV time while not exactly expecting to sleep, it'll add to your getting used to CPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do!  I have been using the Simplus at 15 cm and an EPR of 3 without any problems.  Recently, I started using the Simplus next generation replacement, Vitera.  It provides even a better seal.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2020, 09:29 PM)bonjour Wrote: What happens with a pressure of 7 and an EPR of 3?

What I described. Lower pressure makes no difference. :/
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2020, 09:52 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I do!  I have been using the Simplus at 15 cm and an EPR of 3 without any problems.  Recently, I started using the Simplus next generation replacement, Vitera.  It provides even a better seal.

Hm. So, are you saying that you don't feel the inflating/deflating sensation? I don't understand why I do. Even taking small, light breaths I feel it. Argh.....
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't change physics. My suggestion is to use it and get used to it. Why is it disruptive? Why can't you get used to it? Try another mask, what about a hybrid mask that doesn't cover the nose like the Amara View.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it the pressure changes (up & down ballooning) that you're not liking? Or is it causing leaking?

I experience the ballooning, and dislike it greatly. But when I'm asleep, I don't think I notice it.

My bigger problems is maintaining the seal, especially in the early morning hours. I had to get away from silicone, and switch to memory foam (F20), and that maintains the seal for me.

(As far as your other stuff, I'm afraid I can't help. I had to turn off EPR because it causes me ear problems.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,326 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,462 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 390 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.