Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with mask's fitting to tubing?
Problem with mask's fitting to tubing?
This morning shortly before I got up, I became aware of a kind of flopping sound coming from the L-fitting that connects my Airfit F10 mask to the tubing from the machine. I soon got up and didn't think about it right away.

Then this evening when I first turned the machine on, the flopping sound was back and very pronounced. (Amplified by the airspace in the tubing, the sound is quite loud, and would keep me up, and probably my wife as well.) I see kind of a rubberized flap inside the L-fitting that I gather is designed to direct exhaled air out a vent hole, and I can only think that it's this flap that's not working correctly.

I tried washing and drying the L-fitting, but this didn't improve it. I then noticed that I had an identical L-fitting from a previous mask I'd tried, and I swapped this in to see if it would help. Unfortunately, the sound persisted. (This seemed odd to me that two of the L-fittings would fail in the same way at the same time.) I also tried swapping masks, but the problem remained. The only thing I didn't swap out was the hose, but it's hard to see how this would cause the problem.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there an easy fix? I can call the DME supplier in the morning and see how soon I can get them to send me a new one, but I may be CPAP-less for the time being unless I can figure out a way to fix it.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problem with mask's fitting to tubing?
That sounds like you may not be getting enough pressure (or possibly intermittent pressure) from your flow generator to hold the emergency expiration valve closed. I suspect the reason may be you have started using the humidifier recently. That valve should never be "flapping" except when you shut the flow generator down while using the humidifier and it goes into the cool down mode and you exhale into the mask. During that time, the flow is reduced and will give the symptoms you describe. It's the life saver feature that keeps you from suffocating when the machine goes down while you're asleep. Test it without the humidifier attached or activated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. The night before this problem first cropped up, I had put the machine into manual humidification mode, and it went through a fair amount of water during the night. However, before the next time I used the machine I'd put it back into auto humidification mode, the same configuration I'd been using for 2-3 months.

I'll try it without the humidifier, but I'm not clear on the relationship here. How exactly is it that using the humidifier can cause the air pressure to decrease?

Post Reply Post Reply
To explain: The reduced air flow at certain stages when using the humidifier is so that when you turn the machine off the water vapor will not flow back into the flow generator where it could cause damage. That flow will continue for enough time to allow the water temperature to fall below the high vaporization point. That flow will also be there at the initial warm up stage in order to stop the warming up water from wetting the interior of the flow generator. That's by design and not a problem. It all takes place before and after your sleep session and you will not usually be expected to have the mask on at those times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the same mask as Surferdude2. The only time that safety valve flaps is the few seconds between the time I strap in until I turn on the machine. Your valve hasn't fail. Your machine's blower is not working.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I see on your sidebar you're using the 4 and 20 blackbird settings for minimum and maximum pressure. That's usually a bad idea and we can discuss it further if you wish, but for openers try increasing the bottom end to at least 6 and see if the blackbirds stop flapping their wings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out further, including the possibility of upping the minimum pressure.

I did try just turning the machine on for a couple of minutes during the daytime this morning, and it was no longer "flapping." The inhalation part of the breathing cycle seemed normal, but when I exhaled it felt as though I had to push against more pressure than I remember being normal. (This was without making any adjustments -- for example, no change to the 4-20 cm pressure range.) Does this suggest anything else I ought to check out?

Post Reply Post Reply
There might be an Expiratory relief setting that lowers pressure during exhale.
Some like the feature -- others don't
It's called EPR by ResMed and something else by Phillips-Respironics.
We need a P-R person to answer that one.

Thing is, these settings don't change by themselves.
So, there may be an issue with your machine; or, perhaps you are just getting accustomed to it.

Retired Guys increase in the min pressure number is sound. At 4, many people feel like they are not getting enough air.
Also, the machine starts a long ways from therapeutic pressure.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thanks, I'll look into it. I don't know that there's necessarily anything wrong with the machine. As noted, the flapping issue started after I changed the humidification mode, and the machine moved a lot of water through it the night when the flapping first started close to waking time. I've since changed that back to the default. Also, our air has been very dry, and I've been having sinus and nasal issues of various kinds. This makes it difficult to tell when an issue is related to the CPAP hardware or just reflects issues with my airway.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 03:14 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote: Okay, thanks, I'll look into it. I don't know that there's necessarily anything wrong with the machine. As noted, the flapping issue started after I changed the humidification mode, and the machine moved a lot of water through it the night when the flapping first started close to waking time. I've since changed that back to the default. Also, our air has been very dry, and I've been having sinus and nasal issues of various kinds. This makes it difficult to tell when an issue is related to the CPAP hardware or just reflects issues with my airway.

If you're using the heated tube, do you have the correct power supply?

The heated tube requires the 80 watt power supply. This should be stamped on the bottom of the power supply.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,584 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,477 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 612 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.