Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems since losing weight
Problems since losing weight
I have been using CPAP (PR REMstar Plus) for a few years with only the problems I see listed on various other threads (leaks, occasional discomfort from the mask, etc.). I have tried everything from nasal pillows to the nose mask to the FFM and settled on that a couple of years ago. My settings are high (can't check right now, but I can do so later, if necessary), and everything was peachy keen until I lost 65 pounds. It seemed that once I hit 50 pounds, things got out of whack, and by 65 I'm experiencing a couple of problems I never had before. First, serious flatulence that wakes me up throughout the night and is gone within an hour or so of taking the mask off. Second (and maybe worse, unless you ask my wife) is a painfully sore throat, accompanied by dry mouth. From reading these forums, I gather that the flatulence is a symptom of aerophasia, and the sore throat might have to do with the fact that I'm a mouth breather (asleep or awake, I deal with huge nasal congestion problems). The odd thing is that neither of these things was a regular problem until I'd lost 50 pounds. Is it possible I need to reduce the pressure I'm using?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems since losing weight
undefined
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll go out on a limb here as far as the dry mouth goes. L9sing that much weight it's likely your mask doesn't fit and seal as well causing leaks high air flow dry mouth.
And it is possible your pressure is too high now.
I know my pressure setting have to change if I lose weight or gain much. Mask size has to change too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2016, 12:15 AM)ReSpears3 Wrote: My settings are high (can't check right now, but I can do so later, if necessary), and everything was peachy keen until I lost 65 pounds. It seemed that once I hit 50 pounds, things got out of whack, and by 65 I'm experiencing a couple of problems I never had before. First, serious flatulence that wakes me up throughout the night and is gone within an hour or so of taking the mask off. Second (and maybe worse, unless you ask my wife) is a painfully sore throat, accompanied by dry mouth.

Best bet would be to contact your sleep doctor and request re-titration of your pressures with another sleep study. There is also the issue of mask size now that you lost weight. Will your DME allow you to visit to try on a few different type and size masks?

Best of luck finding a satisfactory solution.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine is a PR RemStar Plus as your profile states, then you have a machine that is "not" data capable (what we call a brick) and at the most will give you hours of use and total AHI.

If you are now just experiencing aerophagia, it is possible your pressure is now too high, especially with a weight loss.

It would be to your benefit to talk to your doctor and get a new sleep study done, and ultimately get a new data capable auto cpap.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry out the lack of post post.
I was trying to say that you wanted to get a fully data capable model. With that this forum can really help you.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine
Post Reply Post Reply
ReSpears3,
I've had some of the same issues. I've lost 30 pounds (so far) and have found that I could lower my pressure and achieve the same sleep results, thus reducing the flatulence. Also, most people who lose weight will lose it from their face as well. You may need a smaller mask size to address this.

Congratulations on the weight loss!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have good insurance, celebrate your weight loos with a good machine by contacting your doctor for an upgraded prescription to an Auto CPAP machine. You should not need a new sleep study as the machine can help you self-titrate. If your insurance has high deductibles, just go to Amazon and get a Respironics Dreamstation Auto for $374. DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 NEW IN BOX Includes DreamStation CPAP unit, power supply, power cord, hose, carry bag, installed SD card, reusable and disposable filters and manual. This is new inventory. Be sure to click through to "additional buying choices" as the featured one is much more expensive.

This machine will help you to get your pressure correct as well as show you exactly what is going on in data using #SleepyHead.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll second Sleeprider here.
(12-28-2016, 10:31 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have good insurance, celebrate your weight loos with a good machine by contacting your doctor for an upgraded prescription to an Auto CPAP machine. You should not need a new sleep study as the machine can help you self-titrate. If your insurance has high deductibles, just go to Amazon and get a Respironics Dreamstation Auto for $374. DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 NEW IN BOX Includes DreamStation CPAP unit, power supply, power cord, hose, carry bag, installed SD card, reusable and disposable filters and manual. This is new inventory. Be sure to click through to "additional buying choices" as the featured one is much more expensive.

This machine will help you to get your pressure correct as well as show you exactly what is going on in data using [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url].

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, all, and especially Sleeprider. My insurance is terrible, and I've had to pay out of pocket for nearly every penny that I've paid for the CPAP machine, masks and other supplies, along with a co-pay for each Sleep Dr. visit. The price you mentioned for a new machine is about a fourth of what I paid for the brick and just $100 more than I was charged for a new mask, cushions and tube a couple of months ago. Nice to know there's a cheaper way to do what I need to do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,842 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.