Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems with CPAP & Mask
Problems with CPAP & Mask
Hi:  My real name is Mel.  I have been on a CPAP machine for over 30 years and during this time, I have had trouble with many masks that I tried.  I had three sleep studies and all indicate severe sleep apnea.  My snoring is heavy and interrupted by stopping breathing numerous times a night at a short time.  My snoring is causing my wife to lose sleep as well even though we have a good relationship being married for almost 49 years.   Big Grin  One of the major problems I have is keeping the nose pillow on at this time.  Even wearing a full face mask gave me lots of problems.  I would wake up in the morning with my mask off not knowing that I took it off.  I tried just about everything with no success, even to the point of wearing a hoodie pulled over my head and tying it on so I would not remove it.  Still, for some reason, I pull it off.  Maybe that was due to the tightness and feeling in a closed space.  Of course in the warmer months, I couldn't wear a hoodie.   Oh-jeez I asked why does this happen?  My doctors told me that when I stop breathing during the night, brain cells die and can lead to memory problems which I have now.  As a matter of fact, I am supposed to be tested for dementia.   Dielaughing Now another problem surfaced which is having COPD and emphysema where when I would wear the full mask and nose pillow, I wake up feeling like I am choking because of all the mucus running out of my nose.  This in turn makes the whole mask wet and have to take it off so I won't drown.  REALLY, that is happening. I tried all sorts of allergy pills and sprays and non really work that well.   Every day I am sneezing, blowing my nose, constant dripping; wetting my clothes, pillow and even at the table eating a meal.  I am really getting paranoid about it as sometime other's would see this happening and have to always have a tissue in my hands.   Annoyed-and-disappointed  I must use boxes of tissues and toilet paper constantly.   Unsure My sleep pattern is so bad and I am lucky if I get 3 hours of sleep.  At times, I can get a little more if I lay down for a nap.  I hardly get any REM sleep which is the sleep that is required for body rejuvenation.  Without this, I can hardly function, feeling depressed most times, not wanting to do anything, disorganized, extreme tiredness and chronic pain which can be quite bad at times.  That is due to my fibromyalgia, spondylitis, poor circulation, and what not.  I am supposed to have an appointment with a social worker and see what he or she says.

I don't know what else to say and I hope you read this and maybe have some suggestions on how I can use my CPAP.  Thank you and hope to hear from someone.

A person that is distraught, me.   Laugh-a-lot By the way, really have a happy day.   Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems with CPAP & Mask
I don't think COPD is necessarily linked to the problem of excessive nasal discharge. Ask your doctor about this problem and see if he can suggest something that will dry up the flow. Once you are able to use your CPAP again, I hope you feel better. If you can please look closely at your machine and identify the make and model it would be a great help. You have been using CPAP for 30 years, and I hope you have updated your machine. A new machine is probably due, and a new one can produce data that can help you make your treatment more effective. Best wishes, and hope you post back with information about your machine and if you are looking at an updated device.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people have success with wearing a chinstrap OVER the headgear in order to keep the mask on at night. Not sure how comfortable this is as I haven't had need for it, but maybe worth a try. The straps are cheap, you can order one on Amazon.
I second the suggestion to talk to your doctor about the nasal discharge, especially since allergy medication doesn't seem to work. Have you tried a nasal rinse, like NetiPot or NeilMed? Just wondering if that would get you some relief. Best of luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a chinstrap over the headgear to keep my mouth from dropping open and breaking the lower seal of my full face mask. I don't find it at all uncomfortable. Others, of course, may. But it's a cheap option to try. I use a $10 Avalon Aire strap from amazon.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try a "soft" cervical collar. This seems to help keep the jaw from dropping.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
whast a soft cervical collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2017, 09:04 AM)imrj Wrote: whast a soft cervical collar?

You can purchase these almost anywhere, but Amazon has the best selection and sizes.

Many here use a soft cervical (neck) collar to stop mouth breathing. It helps support and align the neck
and stops your jaw from dropping open, and alot more comfortable than a chin strap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the soft cervical collar and find it most uncomfortable. I am using a ResMed chinstrap, which is quite comfortable, but has a tendency to slide off my head in the middle of the night. Anyone have any ideas to stop the strap from sliding in my hair? Other than cutting all of my hair off that is? Not meaning to hijack the thread but this seems related enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
For several years I've been using and promoting the Ruby chinstrap.  It hasn't always worked and I would periodically get mouth breathing.  Seeing the soft cervical collar being advised on the board, I got one to try out.  It has turned out to be more effective at keep my mouth closed than the chinstrap.  It pushes directly up on the lower jaw, as opposed to the lower jaw being pulled up and to the rear.  One thing I did find on using the collar is to attach a little loose.  It will tighten up when you recline.  If you don't allow additional slack, it will feel like it is chocking you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,874 2 hours ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 141 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 267 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 212 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 326 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 244 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 791 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.