Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems with CPAP Providers
Problems with CPAP Providers
My experience has been negative on all fronts. The prescribing doctors just hand off the treatment to the patient. CPAP providers/suppliers are very little help after the machine is delivered. The entire CPAP industry is unregulated and operates to suck maximum profits from Medicare or insurance companies.

I am more tired the next day after using CPAP than when I don't use CPAP at night.

The machine interrupts my REM sleep constantly.

Can't get provider to adjust machine but neither can I.

Medical advice should NOT be primarily from a user forum.

The entire CPAP field is one step up from crystal therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Problems with CPAP System
I've split this post into a new thread.

(08-23-2013, 04:43 AM)edspyhill09 Wrote: I am more tired the next day after using CPAP than when I don't use CPAP at night.

That happens to a lot of us. Your body has to adjust to the fact that it no longer needs to be woken up multiple times per hour because your airway has collapsed. Moreover the machine and hose take some getting used to and so they can actually decrease the quality of our sleep.

At some point you will reach a crossover point where your sleep will not only be better than it was before, you will have some nights where you can actually get the restorative sleep you haven't had in years.

Just keep in mind that you are fighting for your life. Without CPAP therapy you will not only continue indefinitely to lead a miserable sleep-deprived life, you will die early of a heart attack or stroke.

Quote:Can't get provider to adjust machine but neither can I.

What adjustments would like to make and why? You can adjust the C-Flex and ramp time as they are just comfort items. I wouldn't adjust the pressure unless you have a very good reason.

Quote:Medical advice should NOT be primarily from a user forum.

True. There are good medical providers out there and bad ones. You will have to shop around to find a good one, but they are there. This is true for all types of doctors, not just sleep doctors.

Quote:The entire CPAP field is one step up from crystal therapy.

Crystals can't prevent your airway from collapsing while you're asleep. CPAP therapy does.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 07:40 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I've split this post into a new thread.

(08-23-2013, 04:43 AM)edspyhill09 Wrote: I am more tired the next day after using CPAP than when I don't use CPAP at night.

That happens to a lot of us. Your body has to adjust to the fact that it no longer needs to be woken up multiple times per hour because your airway has collapsed. Moreover the machine and hose take some getting used to and so they can actually decrease the quality of our sleep.

At some point you will reach a crossover point where your sleep will not only be better than it was before, you will have some nights where you can actually get the restorative sleep you haven't had in years.

Just keep in mind that you are fighting for your life. Without CPAP therapy you will not only continue indefinitely to lead a miserable sleep-deprived life, you will die early of a heart attack or stroke.

What adjustments would like to make and why? You can adjust the C-Flex and ramp time as they are just comfort items. I wouldn't adjust the pressure unless you have a very good reason.

True. There are good medical providers out there and bad ones. You will have to shop around to find a good one, but they are there. This is true for all types of doctors, not just sleep doctors.

Crystals can't prevent your airway from collapsing while you're asleep. CPAP therapy does.

I've been using this machine for about 4 months. It is a struggle. I can't get the air heated to a comfortable level. I bought the smaller heated tube but the setup won't recognize the heated tube because the setup options are locked.

It seems the only people who take this serious are the suffers, not the doctors and not the CPAP suppliers.

I'm not sure if I need to return this machine if I change providers/suppliers.

Currently I'm not sure this machine is actually helping matters. I could be in the same danger as when I don't use the machine.

Ed T.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Problems with CPAP Providers
The on-screen display will show you your average AHI and percent time in large leak. Let us know what those numbers are and we can help you find out if the machine is effectively treating your apneas.

You are correct in that doctors and equipment providers often don't give us the help we need. Apnea Board tries to fill in that gap by providing a support group.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Problems with CPAP Providers
There are good people here to help. However, tell us more details about what your problems are and we can advise
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 02:01 PM)edspyhill09 Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 07:40 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I've split this post into a new thread.

I've been using this machine for about 4 months. It is a struggle. I can't get the air heated to a comfortable level. I bought the smaller heated tube but the setup won't recognize the heated tube because the setup options are locked.

It seems the only people who take this serious are the suffers, not the doctors and not the CPAP suppliers.

I'm not sure if I need to return this machine if I change providers/suppliers.

Currently I'm not sure this machine is actually helping matters. I could be in the same danger as when I don't use the machine.

Ed T.

Update, many months later. I finally was able to resolve several problems. The first being the CPAP company was somewhat incompetent.

As to the machine: I was sent a heated tube which is different than a standard tube. I still could not get the air to be heated properly. Then I found out the power supply was not powerful enough to heat the tube. So I was given an 80 watt power supply. That fixed the problem .

I had lowered the pressure to 8 when the air flow was too cold. Then I slowly increased the air pressure from 8 to the current 11. I will go to 11.5 then finally to the 12 that is prescribed.

I am sleeping with the CPAP mask on for 6 to 7 hours a night. I'm actually at the point where I prefer sleeping with the CPAP mask on. I even take on short vacations.

Ed
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,016 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 156 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 173 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,853 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,571 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 999 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.