Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems with Resmed Autosense 10
Problems with Resmed Autosense 10
Hello.  This is my first post on this forum.  I was glad to find it in my search for a solution to my problem.
I have been using a CPAP for 10+ years.  I currently use the Resmed Airsense 10 and a Breeze with air pillows mask.  I have had the Airsense 10 for approx 2 years and the Breeze mask since shortly after I began using a CPAP.
I have usually gotten along well with it until my current problem occurred.
The problem is that periodically during the night my CPAP just turns off and it's just like having sleep apnea all over again.  I had a sore chest this morning just like the old sleep apnea days(or nights).  The first time it happened some time back I reported it to my supplier and they swapped it our for a new one.  That seemed to help for a while until it started reoccurring regularly, even multiple times a night.  I went back to my supplier again and they contacted my Dr and got authorization to increase the air pressure. I just checked and it's set to 14.
I guess my question is, is this any kind of a known problem with the Airsense 10 or should I look elswhere?
I have an appointment with my Dr on Monday and want to go in to him with the most information possible to see if I can work this out.
After I finish this I plant to look for a copy of the program that reads the card in the machine to see if that'll give me more info on the problem and what might be causing it.
Thanks for bearing with this long post.  Just looking for info and hopefully a solution to my problem.
Lawrence Perry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems with Resmed Autosense 10
I am not aware of a widespread defect that causes the machine to shut down. You may want to go into the machine settings and turn-off the SmartStart option. This feature will turn on the machine automatically when your breathing is detected, and shut it off when you remove the mask. I use it without any problems, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause your machine to shut down.

While we're at it, let's get your machine more comfortable. Go into settings, and change the mode to AUTO instead of CPAP. Use a pressure range like 10 minimum to 16 maximum. You can also enable exhale pressure relief (EPR) which gives you 1-3 cm pressure relief during exhale. Here is a link on how to do it http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info

Finally, download #Sleepyhead software. You can monitor your sleep data and see if it's working. Just install the software, and you will be able to import data from your SD card. The links in my signature show how to organize and post the data to the forum. We can certainly help you get more comfortable and effective treatment than the dial-winging by your supplier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also make sure to check your outlet fro loose connections and make sure that the power brick is plugged all the way into the back of the machine. My Airsense 10 Auto seems very sensitive to the power cord being jiggled about, so if I move it I sometimes get a warning about the power cord being unplugged.
Post Reply Post Reply
TASmart, your comment about the power jogged me. My CPAP sits in a tray with a raised lip. The molded strain relief on the power cord presses into this lip
and could conceivably cause a power problem. I just removed the tray and we'll see if that helps the intermittent shutdown.
Sleeprider, you've given me a lot of stuff to study up on and chew on and try out. I do need some clarification on a few points:
I checked my settings and SmartStart is ON; yet I always turn the machine on by putting the mask on and breathing into the mask. This seems to conflict with what you said about turning SmartStart OFF. Think I should still turn it off?
Right now my machine is set to CPAP and Set Pressure is set to 14. I'm assuming if I reset from CPAP to AUTO that I will be required to set a range. Do I just set it by bracketing the 14 setting; say 12 and 16 or is there a more scientific way of computing the range?
My EPR is currently OFF. When I start making my changes I'll turn it ON.
I downloaded SleepyHead and ran it against my SD card. I haven't had time to really analyze it but I was surprised when the instances when the CPAP shut off on me didn't seem to show up at all. I guess I expected those instances to show up as AHIs (?). But those looked like they were 0.
I have an appointment with my Pulmonologist on Monday. I'm going to quiz him on all of this and Monday night start making the changes one at a time so I can evaluate the changes due to one change before I make the next one. What order do you think I should make the changes in?
Thanks so very much for your comments. I finally feel like I have the means of getting a handle on this and not just be flying blind between the DME and the Pulmonologist.
Thanks again,
Lawrence Perry
Post Reply Post Reply
Your complaint was that the machine turns off at night. I use SmartStart and like it, but by turning it off, we are eliminating that as a possible cause of your malfunction. If that does not fix the problem you should contact your supplier about a warranty repair.

If you turn the machine to Auto, the idea is to bracket your current CPAP pressure of 14. That could be 11-16 or whatever you want to try. Chances are you will find Auto to be effective and comfortable, however everyone is different, and if you decide fixed CPAP pressure is better for you, then you will be in good company.

EPR can be comfortable, and no reason not to use it. Introduce it at a lower setting so it doesn't disrupt your sleep. The purpose of CPAP therapy is above all to enable you to get good sleep. Getting a low AHI is a nice benefit, but comfort and feeling rested is really the main point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lbperry,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
You have come to the best place for help as you continue on your path to better sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2017, 10:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your complaint was that the machine turns off at night.  I use SmartStart and like it, but by turning it off, we are eliminating that as a possible cause of your malfunction.  If that does not fix the problem you should contact your supplier about a warranty repair.

If you turn the machine to Auto, the idea is to bracket your current CPAP pressure of 14.  That could be 11-16 or whatever you want to try.  Chances are you will find Auto to be effective and comfortable, however everyone is different, and if you decide fixed CPAP pressure is better for you, then you will be in good company.

EPR can be comfortable, and no reason not to use it.  Introduce it at a lower setting so it doesn't disrupt your sleep.  The purpose of CPAP therapy is above all to enable you to get good sleep.  Getting a low AHI is a nice benefit, but comfort and feeling rested is really the main point.

I appreciate your comments, SleepRider.
Last night I turned on EPF and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Much easier to breathe with less back pressure.
I visited my Pulmonologist today and he agreed with your suggestion to turn SmartStart Off.  I have done that and will see how that works out tonight.
I did have one problem with my machine setup though;
When I go into the Therapy settings to change the Mode from CPAP to AUTO, I can't seem to make that happen.
When I click on the Mode   CPAP line, it comes up with <Cancel and CPAP   O under that .  If I select CPAP and press the dial button, nothing happens.
If I select <Cancel, it goes right back to Mode   CPAP,
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wring?
Thanks,

PS:  Is there anyway to print out a copy of the CPAP machine setting so I can keep a copy on file?
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you in the providers menu?
Also, get the clinicians manual for your machine. This will tell you how to change settings.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply, OpalRose.
Yes, I have downloaded the clinicians manual and think I have been using the correct technique to change the Mode from CPAP to AUTO; but I can't get it to work.
I changed several other settings but for some reason I can't get the Mode change working.
Post Reply Post Reply
There seems to be some confusion created by the machine name in your profile. You describe it as a ResMed Autosense 10 --- but there is no such exact machine model. The The current Resmed line has two parts, the AirSense 10 and the AirCurve 10. The AirSense 10 machines are divided (currently, I think) into the 'CPAP', the 'Elite' and the 'Autoset'.

You can see which yours is by looking at the bottom right corner beside the humidifier tank --- what is the label underneath AirSense 10?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,015 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines SleepHungry 18 936 11-24-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,852 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,568 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 999 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.