Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems with cervical collar
RE: Problems with cervical collar
(10-18-2019, 12:15 PM)DaveL Wrote:
(07-05-2019, 05:46 PM)MitchS Wrote: I tried a couple of over the counter collars, as well as the Dr. Dakota collar, and couldn’t make them work. I bought a Caldera Releaf and was using it with no issues within a couple of nights. I use it to help control mouth leaks. 

Thanks Very helpful.

I bought my Dakota wedge from ebay.com.  By the time I got it in my hands in Canada the cost was $63 Canadian. I still have buyer's remorse due to the difference in cost.  It was NOT available from amazon.ca at the time. Often products available on amazon.com for a reasonable cost aren't available at all from amazon.ca, or the cost is far far higher.

Wow, that’s quite a bit more than I payed for it. It’s not available on our version of Amazon either.  People who don’t live in Canada don’t always remember the difference in availability and pricing for our Canadian members. I hope you have good luck with your Dakota.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mitch.
I'm looking for other solutions.
I've having problems using the Dakota. I've had it awhile, and the strap is rubbing on the back of my neck.
I find that I do it up very tightly to prevent my mouth from opening. Now I have a couple of sores on the back of my neck.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
That’s too bad. I saw your posts on the issues you are having in another thread after I posted on this one. I had the same problem with the strap. It also caused positional APNEAs no matter how I adjusted it.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's my own darn fault. I do it up tight. I've used it for 4? months.
If I don't do it up tight, then my jaw drops open, and I might as well not use it.

The strap is hard to reach; I'm not very flexible, and at my age that likely won't get better. Wink

Once my skin on my neck is ok, I'll see whether I can change something and have it work better. I'm feeling better and sleeping better now that I've started using my hose reel again. When I move in my sleep I used to sleep poorly as my hose dragged my mask a little...I didn't wake. But my "deep sleep" is twice what it used to be without the hose reel. Big Guy suggested that!
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
The collar that I use is the Velpeau Enhanced (Amazon search required), which has a bit of soft foam that contacts the jaw on top of a firmer foam for support. It has been a great replacement for the Caldera after it wore and softened.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'll look!
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
One of the most important things regarding collars (IMO) is that they support both the front of the jaw and the rear of the jaw at the same time. Looking at the Dakota I wonder if this would actually happen with their design, Looking at it, it doesnt seem to be long enough to do this and also it slopes downwards away from the jaw the further back it goes. Then again. I've never used one as I'm perfectly happy with the $10 model I get from my pharmacy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2019, 03:28 AM)holden4th Wrote: One of the most important things regarding collars (IMO) is that they support both the front of the jaw and the rear of the jaw at the same time. Looking at the Dakota I wonder if this would actually happen with their design, Looking at it, it doesnt seem to be long enough to do this and also it slopes downwards away from the jaw the further back it goes. Then again. I've never used one as I'm perfectly happy with the $10 model I get from my pharmacy.

I had no issues with my Dakota in that manner.

But I have a double chin.

I do mine up very tightly. It forces my lower jaw ahead, and holds my jaw closed very tightly.

What I do have trouble with is the strap. When I'm tired I have trouble doing it up. I find the surface of the strap rough; so I cut toes off an old sock. When I'm tired I don't take the time to position that sock properly... That's how I got sores on the back of my neck.

It stops my mouthbreathing completely. 

I'm taking a break from it. I'm using my old PapCap.  I've ordered a new PapCap from the US. (Risky territory; warranty and returns are difficult across the border. And costs are high.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,881 4 hours ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 142 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 520 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 334 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 353 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.