Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems with cervical collar
Problems with cervical collar
(Moved this discussion to a new thread, as the topic no longer matches the previous subject. Copying the relevant snippet.)

I'm now past my third night with the soft cervical collar. (Decided to go with OTC as suggested because of the variety of sizing options - medium, 3.5".) The first two nights I figured that it was a matter of adjusting or figuring out the proper position of the pillow. After thinking that I had it solved by moving down on the pillow, the third night I simply couldn't fall asleep while laying on the "padded lump" on the back and sides of my neck. Had to switch back to the chin strap (which has its own problems.)

jaswilliams: good suggestion on the Dr Dakota pillow. I had seen recommendations on that one, but currently all signs point to the manufacturer having gone defunct. I haven't seen any similar items available - at least none that aren't more of a one-size-fits-all travel pillow. 

Any other suggestions from folks who have had issues getting comfortable with a cervical collar, and what they did to solve the problem? I've tried loosening the collar, maybe to let it shift a bit more, or minimize the bulk behind the neck. Unfortunately, past a certain point that simply allows my chin to slip behind the front. 

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems with cervical collar
You can get used to pretty much anything. It won't be fun, maybe even nightmarish, but you can get passed something that seems like an outright obstacle.  Persistence, perseverance, grit....you sometimes gotta dig deep.

Have you considered a different pillow?  There are CPAP pillows, but maybe a good quality ($50) down pillow might work.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have seen specialized pillows fail pretty miserably, and the example used in the Optimizing Therapy wiki was by a member that used specialty pillow and still had terrible results. Many members are using the soft cervical collar, and while many are resistant and uncomfortable with its use at first, they seem to adapt pretty quickly, especially as positional apnea drops off dramatically.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding Dr Dakota collars - I ordered one through Walmart’s website and received it about a week ago, so they are still out there if you really want one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like so many things with sleep apnea, the comfort and efficacy of a cervical collar is not the same for everyone.

I have both the Dakota collar and the Caldera Releaf collar, and I much prefer the Releaf.  It is softer and much easier to put on and take off.  It took a while to get used to wearing a collar, but now it feels very natural.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also get 'The Eliminator' from amazon very similar to the Dr Dakota
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper and am using an AirFit F30 mask. I tried about 3-4 pillows before I found the one that would accommodate me sleeping on my side with the mask on. 

They're not specialty pillows either. Just regular ole pillows of varying size, firmness, and density. The one I ended up using was one that I bought from Walmart I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
As for pillows, I use a buckwheat pillow. I can form it to what I need and it pretty much stays that way. I've tried down, foam, memory foam, etc. I have neck issues so a pillow is important for other reasons, too.

Like someone said above, the cervical collar route is not for everyone. Personally, I wouldn't be able to use grit and determination or stick-to-it-ness for something that is optional.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a couple of over the counter collars, as well as the Dr. Dakota collar, and couldn’t make them work. I bought a Caldera Releaf and was using it with no issues within a couple of nights. I use it to help control mouth leaks. 
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2019, 05:46 PM)MitchS Wrote: I tried a couple of over the counter collars, as well as the Dr. Dakota collar, and couldn’t make them work. I bought a Caldera Releaf and was using it with no issues within a couple of nights. I use it to help control mouth leaks. 

Thanks Very helpful.

I bought my Dakota wedge from ebay.  By the time I got it in my hands in Canada the cost was $63 Canadian. I still have buyer's remorse due to the difference in cost.  It was NOT available from amazon at the time. Often products available on amazon.com for a reasonable cost aren't available at all from amazon or the cost is far far higher.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 220 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,007 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.