Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems with my humidifier settings......
Problems with my humidifier settings......
I am using a Philips Respironics REMstar Pro System One C-pap machine. And my mask is a Resmed Swift FX Nano nasal mask.
I am having issues with adjusting all the settings for the humidifier.
I live in dry climate area, Kelowna BC, Canada. I am always watching the humidity temp in my bedroom which on average sits at about 50%. I also should mention I keep my bedroom VERY cold, about 60 degrees.
I have the main dial on my humidifier which numbers from 1-5. Then there is other options such as heated tube which is set to ON. HUmidity level right now on machine is set at level 3. Tube temperature is also set on 3.
My problem is its drying out my nose something terrible. It hurts/ burns bad to even sniff. However I seem to be very uncomfortable if the air get warm, I don't know why that bothers me so much.
I always thought if it the humidity in my room was high, that I should turn the main humidity dial on top lower. That seemed to make it worse. I am very confused where all these setting should be set to? Huh
I have tried changing the top main dial using all the levels from 1-5. It seemed to get all messed up when when we had an unusually high dose of humidity awhile back. I would welcome a bit of moisture coming through my mask at this point. But without making the air too warm.
I hope I have made sense here and maybe someone could tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks, and a VERY Happy New Year to you all! Smile
Ps: I see in my info to the right it has my old info, am no longer using fisher & Paykel humidifier, will update soon, new equipment info is at the top of this post.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems with my humidifier settings......
On your PRS1 60 Series Pro CPAP, you have both automatic and manual humidity controls. The automatic mode is called System One humidity, and it is designed to sense room temperature and prevent condensation. As a result, you may get less humidity with System One, but the controls are much easier as you simply use the 1-5 humidity control. In manual mode with System One off, you get separate humidity and hose temperature controls. How is your humidity currently setup? In winter, with my PRS1 Auto, I usually used System One off, humidity at 4.0 and hose temperature 3. I also use a fleece hose cover.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something you might try is a bit of petroleum jelly or antibiotic ointment (not cream), inside the nasal passages where you can reach to help protect the tissues from drying out. My ENT prescribed Mupirocin; however my insurance wouldn't cover it. (*sigh*)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a setting that says just "auto" , it is set to "ON"
I don't see any settings called system one? I do know that recently there doesn't seem to be much difference whether I have it set to number 1 or number 5. This is confusing me. In my original post I mentioned my other settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using just a saline store bought solution for some temporary relief. It does help for a couple of hours.
I feel if I cover the hose the air will be warmer? Maybe I am wrong. I really don't like the air blowing too warm. Thanks Smile)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2016, 01:52 AM)binky12 Wrote: There is a setting that says just "auto" , it is set to "ON"
I don't see any settings called system one? I do know that recently there doesn't seem to be much difference whether I have it set to number 1 or number 5. This is confusing me. In my original post I mentioned my other settings.

Turn the auto to OFF and you should see separate humidity and hose temperature controls.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the main dial on my humidifier which numbers from 1-5. Then there is other options such as heated tube which is set to ON. HUmidity level right now on machine is set at level 3. Tube temperature is also set on 3.
I think the auto setting is just that when I put my mask on and start breathing it will automatically turn itself on.
I am just not sure what to have the tube temperature set at or heated tube option turned to. Something just seems wrong all of a sudden. I guess I am wanting to know suggestions as to where these settings should be set at to avoid this drying out of my nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have the same problem here. I use "nasal gel for dry nose" comes in a tube and coats the inside of my nose, pretty much lasts all night. Search for it and you will find many sources of it.

About humidity controls.
1. the ONLY way the CPAP can increase the humidity is to increase the temperature of the water in the tank. The industry does have "cool" humidifiers that use ultrasonic's to put a mist in the air, but not for CPAP's
2. the temperature setting is for the hose to keep moisture from warm, moist air from condensing onto the inside of a cold hose
3. what makes the air in a CPAP system seem warm is the warm moisture content and not the actual air temperature. The air flys through the water tank entirely too quickly to heat it up. If you leave the warm moisture in the air then the air feels warm. If you let the moisture condense out in the tube then the air will feel cooler. The air temperature itself is not really changing.
4. auto modes use a humidity sensor and based on that measurement they auto adjust the water temperature to set the humidity. Knowing the water temperature they set the hose temperature high enough to prevent rainout (cold hose).

For me auto is much too warm for sleeping. I turn off the humidity and fill the tank with water, passive humidity. I set the temperature to the mid 60's and don't get rainout. Room is around 65
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all that info. I think I may be getting this figured out. Smile)
Post Reply Post Reply
Well silly me, I did find the setting that indeed says system one. I have now turned that off. So if I am finding it way too dry and my nostrils are burning, what should I have my other settings at, such as humidity level and tube temperature etc? I would almost welcome a little rainout at this point lol. And then the main dial for humidity which is not under settings, but the main dial 1-5 visible on the exterior of the machine, what should that be set on? I know I might have to play with it a bit to find my own comfort levels, but don't want to be doing one thing that may cancel out another. I hope this made sense lol.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,007 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.