Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems with new pressures
Problems with new pressures
Hi all,

The doctors have changed the pressures that I use to 18-20 cmH20. There are a few problems have came up with them.

1) In the morning my mouth is very dry and very very bad breath

2) I'm finding it hard to get a mask that will stay sealed

Can anyone help with ether or both these problems Dont-know

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems with new pressures
Hi landyz,
I notice in your profile, you say you aren't using a humidifier. Maybe for your dry mouth, you might consider using just a little humidity.
Hang in there and someone will be along with more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same mask; and my pressure sometimes hits 19.
There is a thread somewhere on how to fit the Mirage Quattro. It can be done.
Some might recommend a mask liner -- sort of a gasket between mask seal and face.
I've never tried it. Some people say it's their solution to leaks.

You are diabetic; and that may account for some of your dry mouth.
If you are breathing through your mouth, that will also cause dry mouth -- even with a humidifier.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 04:12 AM)landyz Wrote: Hi all,

The doctors have changed the pressures that I use to 18-20 cmH20. There are a few problems have came up with them.

Thank you

Actually it's the same problem. The leaks need to be fixed. Why did they jump the pressures so high?

I forgot to look and see if you mentioned what kind of mask you use, but I'm guessing a full face? You can use a liner to help with the leaks. Basically just cut a "gasket" sort of thing from the back of an old t-shirt. (I don't know why I always say "old" t-shirt... A new one would work fine too!) Sort of trace around the t-shirt an area a little larger than the mask cushion. Cut it out, and cut out the middle where Mr. Nosie goes and you're all set.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Actually it's the same problem. The leaks need to be fixed. Why did they jump the pressures so high?

I forgot to look and see if you mentioned what kind of mask you use, but I'm guessing a full face? You can use a liner to help with the leaks. Basically just cut a "gasket" sort of thing from the back of an old t-shirt. (I don't know why I always say "old" t-shirt... A new one would work fine too!) Sort of trace around the t-shirt an area a little larger than the mask cushion. Cut it out, and cut out the middle where Mr. Nosie goes and you're all set.

They changed the pressure as they said before the S9 could go as low as (4) and the lowest pressure my breathing goes to is 18. At the same time they changed the mask to F&P SimPlus as it has a double membrane thing, they said it should help with leaks.

Quote:You are diabetic; and that may account for some of your dry mouth.
If you are breathing through your mouth, that will also cause dry mouth -- even with a humidifier.

I have never had a dry mouth before due to the diabetics . Its only since may lower pressure was raised .

An other problem is that I'm back to being extremely tired all the time and sleep when I can

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 04:12 AM)landyz Wrote: Hi all,

Thank you

My pressure is 20 and I use the ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM. It keeps my leaks that are sensed by my S9 Auto good and low. I do have to keep the straps rather tight to keep the leaks down but it does work. Of course, there are those that can't keep this mask from leaking but many of us that have higher pressures use this mask. My feeling about mask liners is that they do not reduce leaks, they just diffuse the leak and make it more bearable especially at higher pressures.

If you are getting air coming out of your mouth into the mask it does not effect your therapy but can give you dry mouth. I use Biotene mouthwash for dry mouth just before bed. It might help some. A heated humidifier might help. Tell your doctor about your dry mouth and maybe he will get one for you. Another thing that might help is a chin strap to help keep your mouth closed in addition to the FFM.

Keep working at it. It is well worth it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 04:12 AM)landyz Wrote: The doctors have changed the pressures that I use to 18-20 cmH20.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea is usually highly dependent on sleep position.

Usually the supine position (flat on the back) is the worst position.

If you can make sure you will never be rolling onto your back while asleep, this may reduce considerably how much pressure you need.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 59 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 347 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,172 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 348 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 227 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,816 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 498 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.