Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Airfit F20
Airfit F20
Ok....just got one of the first F20s my DME got their hands on....they got it from their rep as they can't even order them yet. I'll be giving it a good run before I get to the "nitty gritty" of one of my usual reviews, but I thought I would post some initial thoughts to start things off. I'll reference things to the F10 as that is my most recent FFM prior to getting my hands on the F20.

Resumed has kept the quick disconnect at the front of the mask, like on the F10, but it has been redesigned. It now mates to a larger hole and the vent / diffuser is in the elbow, rather than the mask surrounding the hole. The anti-asphyxiation valve (AAV) has been tweaked, with two flappers and ports on each side of the swivel. They've also gone to a sleeved connection....something like what you would see on many F&P or Respironics masks.

The mask seal itself is a glossy finish vs the frosted of the F10...if kept clean, it should have a little more tackiness to help keep a good seal. The seal itself is also thicker in most places...they got rid of the secondary seal from the F10 and went heavier for everywhere but at the 's not so think it won't flex, but it is more substantial, so hopefully it'll be less prone to blowing out. The nose area is better too....even for my big schnozzola. It's open space is less, so that should mean more contact area to eliminate the blowing into the eyes that I know some people complained about.

Headgear is pretty standard other than they use magnetic clips.

First impression under "fit check" pressure (20 cm H2O) is that it seems to be more stable and less prone to leak than the F10...so I'll give it a good trial and report back with more info and thoughts after a couple nights.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airfit F20
I think with the F10, I most frequently heard about problems with the fit at the bridge of the nose. It will be interesting to hear your review as you gain some experience. Thanks for playing Guinea pig.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok...initial review time now that I've had a couple days to get more than a first look. I won't give it a full on rating until I have at least a week with it, but I will give you my first thoughts.

The redesigned mask has a lot to like vs the AirFit10.

To start with, you no longer have to disconnect the cushion from the elbow to remove it from the headgear...it pops out independently which is great for cleaning and if you are changing the seal/cushion. The elbow itself has been greatly improved as well. Beyond what I noted before, it also has a pivot...so the hose can rotate where it connects to the elbow, the elbow rotates where it connects to the mask and the elbow angle is free to change...overall, I find it means less issues by the hose.

Next is the headgear itself. The upper connections to the mask have been moved down and widened. I love that improvement over the F10. With the F10, it always felt like the top straps were riding at the top of my cheekbones and about to slip into my eyes. No so with the F20. The field of view is better for reading and I don't have that concern or visible reminder about the top straps being "right there." The clips for the bottom straps works well...they use rare earth magnets to hold the pieces together while the connector shape transfers the load from strap to mask. Really easy to connect and disconnect, but I have yet to have it come apart unintentionally, in spite of being a side and tummy sleeper. Marking from the straps is almost nil up top and reduced compared to the F10 on the bottom....a slightly wider bottom strap would be nice, but that's pretty uncommon in masks in general.

The cushion/ seal is next up. The seal does use thicker silicone up top, but it seems to work pretty well. The seal depth looks about the same as the F10, but it works differently. On the F20, it folds in and "envelopes" the bridge of the nose, creating a large sealing area the greatly reduces leaks. You need to be a bit more diligent putting the mask on...that deep seal makes it harder to adjust once the headgear is on...but the effort is worth it. Marking of the bridge of the nose is almost non-existant (and I have a big schnozz with a prominent bridge that marks up easily) and once the initial placement is correct, I have yet to experience leaking into the eyes. The mask in medium is about the same size as the large F10, but the lower half feels a bit narrower...not a problem, but something to note. Between my pressure and the mask fit runs on my S9, I'd say the seal handles higher pressure well...I initially was fitted without my CPAP (it was a drop in to grab it and we just needed to confirm cushion size...we weren't planning on a proper fitting as I have taken a large ResMed FFM for a long time...use the size guide folks, the F20 fits a little different than the F10 thanks to the deep seal at the nose), so I was pleasantly surprised that even though it felt fairly loose, it took my 13 cm and the fit setting's 20cm immediately with only minor strap tweaks.

They say that the best mask is one that basically disappears while you are wearing it....if that is true, then this is definitely one of the better I have tried. You need to spend a couple extra seconds putting it on to get the seal sitting right, but once you have it on, it disappears pretty quick. Overall, I'm fairly impressed after a couple nights on this latest offering from ResMed.

A full / proper review to come in another week or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
PsychoMike,
I see that your review is against a F10. Do you happen to have any comparisons against a F&P Simplus?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Crimson,

Unfortunately, the Simplus didn't work for me. I thought it was a nice mask, but the problem I had with it was that my big nose created difficulties for the Simplus' gusseted cushion at the nasal bridge...it felt great, sealed pretty well, but ended up causing difficulties (sores) for me. As a result, the only other "new style" full face masks I have handy to do a direct comparison with are the F10 and Amara View (which is a different style and harder to do direct comparisons with).
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson, your review tweaks my interest. I have tried the F10, but with my pressures ((17 or more on FFM), I couldn't get the leaks down to reasonable levels on bridge of nose without excessively tightening the mask. I could get by by using pads, but it wasn't pretty. Further, I've got glaucoma, so getting a lot of pressure close to my eyes is not a great idea. My bridge is fairly narrow, so sounds different than yours, but maybe it would seal without cranking down so much. Love to have a FFM that worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
PsychoMike,

Thanks for the review. Do you think it is possible to wear glasses with the F20?
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pupcamper,

I'm not a glasses guy these days, but with how high up the bridge of the nose the F20 comes and the shape of the rigid part of the cushion,I suspect it will not be the easiest combo.
Post Reply Post Reply
After looking at more pictures I don't think it and glasses will work together, either.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remember, this is for reviews. General discussions of masks should take place on the Main Forum. So there, nyah.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,700 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,307 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,160 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,173 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,016 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,827 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Coffee Man 39 25,078 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.