Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Airfit F20
RE: Airfit F20
(07-10-2017, 07:33 AM)CB91710 Wrote: My problem, with any FF including the Amara View (Airtouch F20 works best so far) is I can adjust for a perfect fit and seal on the machine's fit test (20cm), but when I fall asleep, my neck relaxes and my chin drops.
This loosens the lower straps, causing severe leaks around my chin.
Tightening the lower straps helps, but displaces the top when my neck is not relaxed.... resulting in having to overtighten everything to an uncomfortable level.

I had the same problem. A soft cervical collar fixed it. The OTC collar from Amazon for about $10 comes in a good selection of sizes and is quite comfortable. It has the added advantage of preventing chin tucks.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Chin strap, yes... it's helpful with the P10, but for some reason (possibly congestion) mouth leaks have been pretty bad last couple of months.

I picked up a collar on my way home today and will give that a try.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just my 2nd day on Airfit F20 with memory foam aka., Airtouch. First night trying to fix up the memory foam was rather challenging. Took me awhile to find out through the manual that the mask dome piece is detachable. Even after find out, took me a longer time to detach it because of the fear that I may break it.

First night use I had bunch of leaks as this is my first FFM.... been using dreamwear and nuance pro gel nasal pillows. Realized later I need to tightening up the straps to cut of the leaks. What a big difference it made. 2nd night leaks were all but gone. Very comfortable memory foam but so expensive to change. Well, I got 3 mask to rotate so it will last me for awhile I guess. Will definitely use it more than 30 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2017, 09:26 PM)st8800 Wrote: What a big difference it made. 2nd night leaks were all but gone. Very comfortable memory foam but so expensive to change. Well, I got 3 mask to rotate so it will last me for awhile I guess. Will definitely use it more than 30 days.
Someone mentioned that in Aus, Resmed is now saying they can go 60 days.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I will shoot for 365 days  Big Grin

Only because because I have 3 masks to rotate.  Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
Airfit F20 review - replaced Respironics Amara View
About 15 months into CPAP therapy, and time to try a new mask. After reading various reviews, I got the Resmed Airfit F20 just to try something new versus the Respironics Amara View that I was using before.

One week in, and definitely the new mask is a winner. I liked the compact size of the Amara View, and I found the straps nice and adjustable, but as a side sleeper I had a lot of ongoing issues with leaks that were resolved just by making the straps tighter and tighter. As a result, I would wake with serious strap and mask indentations on my face that could last a few hours. I also struggled to sleep on my back, as the CPAP pressure would go higher and a leak would start which would eventually wake me. I also lately was getting a real sense of re-breathing, and found myself often removing my mask in my sleep - I seem to recall this happened from new, but perhaps also my unit was getting older and not perfectly maintained. Also, the venting positioning would sometimes cause a draft that I could sense across my eyes (or perhaps that was a leak).

To the Airfit F20 - it is a much bulkier mask, and I was surprised by the lack of adjustability of the headgear, especially for vertical positioning of the mask relative to height/bridge of nose. I got a large (again), but almost think I could have tried a medium. This is a mask that I would recommend having a proper store fitting and not just order online. I could still sleep on my side however, and minimal leaks even during the settling in phase. The action of the non return valves is difference, there is a noticeable and abrupt change in pressure when exhaling but soon I stopped noticing that. The sense of re-breathing is gone. The flow of air into the mask is such I feel like I am getting fresh air, and the (silent) flow from the vent is never bothersome. I have noticed too that I can roll onto my back and the mask handles a higher pressure without leaking - as a result, I am consistently sleeping right through each night which is a new record - 7 nights in a row! Also, the strap indentations from the mask are less visible than the Amara View. 

For me, the F20 is a clear winner. However, due to a little less flexibility in adjustment, your mileage may vary and I would expect there will be some people who are not able to get that perfect fit with this mask. In summary, this seems to be a very well designed mask and I recommend to try it if you need a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airfit F20 review - replaced Respironics Amara View
There are no non return valves in this mask unless you have made one of your own. The valve in the elbow is an anti-asphyxiation valve which all full face masks have. If you look at the flapper in the valve you will see that it is in the closed position when no air is going into the mask which leaves the vents on the side open. When air is being delivered the flappers will close off the side vents so that you get the correct pressure.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TeeDub200,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s great to hear that you have found a mask that works well for you.
Good luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the insight, I won't pretend to know all the technical details of the equipment. For whatever reason, the air in the F20 just seems "fresher", while the air in the Amara View just bothered me a lot. So must so that I turned off the ramp and increased the minimum pressure to 8, otherwise I felt short of breath. Maybe I don't know why this happened, but the difference between the 2 masks for me is huge.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the past month I've been trialling a loaner machine and trying every mask from pillows to nasal and finally the F20 with silicon seal. I'd had  several good nights with that, but my month's trial came to an end so I bought my own machine and F20 mask with the memory foam. Results were mixed. It's comfortable but I was getting leaks around the sides of the bridge of my nose, and on 2 occasions I abandoned the mask in the night after only 4 hrs sleep. Then I chanced onto a slightly different method of putting on the mask. Originallly I would rest the lower edge above my chin and then pivot the mask onto my face and nose. This worked with the silicon skirt, but I think the memory foam was being distorted by the bony (and bent) bridge of my nose. I was also making the mistake of excessive strap tightening to contol leaks. Now I place the mask flat onto my face higher than it's final resting position, so that my nose is well contained, then slide the mask down so that the upper V of the nasal 'slot' slides down onto the nose bridge. When combined with looser straps I can feel the skirt inflate and press against my face and the seal has been good. The replacement cycle sounds relatively expensive though, and when the time comes I may opt to replace with silicon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,700 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,307 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,160 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,171 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,016 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,827 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Coffee Man 39 25,078 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.