Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] AlaxoStent Review (6” FDA Approved)
RE: AlaxoStent Review (6” FDA Approved)
Thanks, BKeeper for the details. Your not-to-swallow-for-a-while comment helped. Nevertheless, I am still not able to tolerate the stent longer than 10 minutes. Apparently I am too sensitive. But I have not yet given it up.
Post Reply Post Reply
G.Szabo, you are welcome. Hang in there. My experience was that the first few times of inserting the stent were unpleasant and short duration. After the first few times, when it was bearable for some time, I then would insert and watch TV for an hour or so. All that took maybe a week - don't remember exactly. Man, did my nose and eyes run! But it does get better. It is just a routine now.

JDIP, in answer to your question as to my plan in the future since Alaxo no longer sells the 6" stent:
I will use the new hybrid solf palate stent.

I do have enough issue at my soft palate that I get the palatial collapse airflow pattern. That is, the soft palate acts as a one-way valve, collapsing closed on exhale. The 16-18 in. H2O pressure required (without stenting my airway) to keep my airway open on exhale is very challenging for me. Lots of leaks, whatever the mask; need to mouth tape, more pressure of the mask on my face or nose than I can tolerate, etc.

I know from titrating the 6" stent with my CPAP that I can run at lower pressures (than without stent) when just the soft palate is stented. I did not spend enough time with the stent at that level to know exactly what pressure I have to run with the stent at that level.
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress report: 

Now, the hybrid stent insertion takes 5-10 minutes, and I can tolerate it for 2-3 hours.  Smile
I have not yet been able to sleep with it because it feels like after tonsillectomy. Also, my nose is congested due to increased mucus production.
Thinking-about
For those who want to use stent instead of CPAP: Leaning to sleep with this stent takes significantly, I mean significantly, more effort and tolerance than sleeping with masks and CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
BKeeper - if and when you try the hybrid stent, I hope it will work as well as the 6" does for you.

G. Szabo - Good to know you are making progress, even though it is more difficult and slow than ideal. Thank you for the updates, I am following them with much interest.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started a "Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread" to describe my experience with the hybrid stent.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Review of the Lookee Ring Sleep Oxygen Monitor with vibration alarm. paperboy 3 3,827 07-27-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: SnoNoMo
Cool [Product Review] Review Futuro Sleep Collar Rice95 9 7,446 06-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
Smile [Product Review] Wellue O2Ring initial review CZOscar 14 12,320 08-27-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: gettingbetter
  [Product Review] Review: Core Products Foam Cervical Collar, Black Purr3k 1 2,212 06-03-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Product Review] Good Morning Snore Solution Review kfujioka 5 9,397 07-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Jim Bronson
  [Product Review] VENDOR REVIEW ROSIE 0 3,139 04-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Last Post: ROSIE
  [Product Review] Myerson EMA review Lefty G 1 9,782 01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.