Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Ultimate chin strap
Ultimate chin strap

I saw this on the internet and thought I'd give it a test drive.

The good points are the material is soft and not as hot as I thought it would be. It does do a good job of cutting down mouth leaks and is fairly easy to put on.

The bad points are it costs too much, it covers more of your head than a full face mask  and finally it does no better than a cheap 1 inch by 4 inch piece of tape.
Also the tape is quicker to get off if you had an emergency.

So even though they're great people with great service, I don't recommend it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ultimate chin strap
Thanks for the review. I just saw this chin strap on YouTube today and wondered about it. It looks really thick and heavy but effective. Then I clicked on the website and saw the cost. I decided not to order it because of the price.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update from the previous post.

After looking back on the website I realized that I could buy just one instead of two Ultimate Chin Straps for half the cost. So I did buy it and have been using it for the past several nights. So far I'm glad I purchased it. It's going to take some adjusting to get used it being tight around the back of   the neck. It's also thick so I'm trying to get it to work well with my nasal mask. But when I get it on and into a good position it works really well. It's also more comfortable than my other two Respironics' masks.

Right now I would give it about a 4 - 4 1/2 star rating. The reason for not giving it a five is because it has to fit so tight around the back of my neck and the thickness makes it hard to fit a nasal mask under it. Also because the cost for even one is high.

It is super soft though and will be the strap I'll use when using a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone ever considered a small strip of duct tape?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2018, 04:43 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: Has anyone ever considered a small strip of duct tape?

If they did they only tried it once.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried paper tape. I'm personally not a fan. Maybe I using the wrong tape but in the morning it felt like I was peeling skin off right along with the tape.

I also have the added issue of my pressure being high enough that even with the tape holding securely, my cheeks puff out over and over, continually waking me up. Tape isn't going to help with cheeks puffing out. So I switched over to trying various chin straps. The straps keep my mouth closed plus stop my cheeks from moving and waking me up.

So the Ultimate Chin strap is also really good for someone having the same issue with high pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ultimate Chin Strap

I first bought my Ultimate Chin Strap about a year and a half ago because the other chinstraps I was using for mouth leaks weren't working very well anymore. I can't get tape to work no matter what I try and full face masks don't seal well for me. After trying to use the Ultimate Chin Strap for several nights I gave up on it. I just wasn't able to get used to it.

A few months later I decided to try the Ultimate Chin Strap again. It took a couple of weeks to get it adjusted and get used to using it, but I was finally able to get my mouth leaks back under control. The chinstrap is a well-made product. The fabric it is made from is soft and comfortable. It's also not hot to wear. While it costs quite a bit more than other chinstraps, it is extremely durable and doesn't stretch out of shape. When comparing the Ultimate Chin Strap's cost over its lifetime to the cost other chinstraps I have used over their lifetime, I believe I am breaking even.

The things I don't like about the Ultimate Chin Strap is it adds bulk while using my cpap machine. It also has to be worn tight enough to leaves marks on my face. It can also try to slip around while I'm asleep.

The Ultimate Chin Strap can be beneficial to people with mouth or lip leaks.

Some things to remember if you decide to try this product:
  • The straight section of the product goes over the upper lip, at the base of the nose while the cut out section goes under the chin.
  • It needs to be tight to work, but if it is uncomfortable, it is too tight
  • Give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to it.
  • It can be washed in the washing machine on the gentle cycle, but needs to be hung up to air dry.
  • The product works best if the top strap goes over your ears and the top of the bottom strap sits at the bottom of your skull.
  • Slippage can be eliminated by using a piece of 1/2" velcro between the top and bottom straps, between the two ends of each strap, at the middle of the back of the head. When taking the product off, remove the velcro completely from the top strap and leave the velcro attached to the end of the bottom strap that fits against your neck.
  • It may be best to wear the chinstrap over your mask's headgear.

This is how I put the Ultimate Chin Strap on each night:
  • Put the mask on.
  • Place the top edge of the two halves of the bottom strap at the base of the skull with the small piece of velcro attached to the portion that fits against the neck. The velcro will be between two ends.
  • Tighten the bottom strap until it stays in place, but is not tight. It will get tighter later.
  • Place the part of the top strap that fits against the head over the ear and hold it snugly against the head while attaching the free end of the velcro to it, while pulling up on the free end of the velcro until the bottom strap is snug. The velcro should sit at the center of the head. The flat portion of the product that goes under the nose should be as close to the base of the nose as possible without interfering with the mask cushion.
  • With the mouth closed, pull both ends of the top strap until it is tight and attach the ends together. The top and bottom straps should both be tight at this point, but not uncomfortable.
  • Turn on the cpap machine and adjust the mask for a good seal. Readjust the chin strap so it doesn't interfere with the mask cushion, if needed.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Respironics Premium Chin Strap III ginzo 5 6,761 09-16-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
Thumbsup [Product Review] PAD A CHEEK Original (face mask strap pads) richb 5 3,704 09-21-2018, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Product Review] Avalon Aire Super Delux Chin Strap MobileBasset 10 7,583 09-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  [Product Review] Carefusion ruby chin strap bryank1 3 6,348 08-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Last Post: big_dave
  [Product Review] Carefushion chin strap me50 9 7,597 12-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Product Review] Chin Straps [ResMed "Chin Restraint"] Bompa 3 7,422 06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeteW5

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.