Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Battery Powered!
RE: Battery Powered!
I'll just throw this in as food for thought.....

We sail, and I like to spend a few days away from home on the boat and needed my CPAP machine. I have looked at those power backups/packs and found they are expensive for what you get. In the end I went to National Battery and the folks there told me the guys who go hunting use a 100AH 12V sealed battery they sell for $100. It lasts 3 nights usually running a CPAP machine so they told me. I bought one to have it now on our boat.

When at shore it's connected to a "Battery Tender" so when we go out it's ready to go. As it turns out because I use a Resmed S8 on the boat without the humidifier my battery would last for almost a week. The S8 only draws about 1 Amp on it's own when measure even though it says 2.5 Amps on the bottom.

I know this isn't a solution for some here who want to fly, or have convenience but it's a cheaper and more durable solution for hunting, camping, boating, than using something like a C-100 at $500.

All you need is the battery and then go to an auto supply place and get the female cigarette lighter plug with either hard wire ends or alligator clips to attach to the battery and then get the male attachment for your machine. I was able to pickup the 12 Volt power supply for the Resmed S8 for $25. (for the S9 you need an inverter which is slightly more $65 I think)

So... $500 (C-100 - 2 battery system) for maybe 2 to 3 days
or
$100 (battery) + $3 (female end) + $25 (power supply) for 5 to 7 days depending on your machine and pressure.

It's just something to think about.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the weight and size of the battery you got? Does it have a brand name?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's approx. 13 kilo, (29lbs) or 2 stone for those in the UK..

It's a Trojan..

(08-18-2014, 03:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What is the weight and size of the battery you got? Does it have a brand name?

Post Reply Post Reply
Holy cow. That's kinda heavy. I'll keep an eye out for one of that AH. Thanks for letting us know.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
For power outage backup (not for travel), another option is to just get a normal UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for computers, and plug your CPAP power supply into it. I have an inexpensive UPS (~$50) that will keep my machine running for a couple hours. They come in all different sizes, so you can decide how big to go. The advantage is it will be completely seamless in switching to battery in case the power goes out during the night, you wouldn't even know a power event happened. And UPS's are all surge protected, so it'll also help keep your CPAP equipment safe.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long will it keep your Elite going? Is the humidifier on?

In terms of power usage, 7 is a low draw. But I don't see the average cost UPS running it for a few hours.

I keep meaning to use mine one night to see how long it lasts.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm... Just ran some numbers and you're right, I think I overestimated how long the UPS would last. Anyway I'll run an experiment and report back with actual data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 09:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Holy cow. That's kinda heavy. I'll keep an eye out for one of that AH. Thanks for letting us know.

You can tell because it will either be big and heavy, or big and not-so-heavy and very expensive, or the manufacturer is lying.

There is no magic battery technology yet available to consumers, so 60 watts all night long is still about 500 watt hours or about 40 amp/hours on a 12v battery. Two nights is 80 amp/hours, which is about the size of a car battery.

Lithium Ion batteries are about the same size, but half the weight and 10x the cost, so like most things in life, there's still no free lunch. 8-)

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 08:22 AM)mjbearit Wrote: So, I had mentioned that I was purchasing a battery for those times that the power goes out and for travel.

What: This is a generic Battery back up for all xPAP type machines, and I suppose you could use it for other things too!
[Image: 201250d1224730070-fuse-diagram-thread-us...ctures.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
my new battery pack:

Accu is from Tracer/UK, 24Ah LifePO4. These have the advantage of about 1300 cycles to 80% capacity. Lead accus or Lipo are mostly described with about 300 cycles. Their weight is somewere between lead-accus and Lipo's and they are much safer to use than Lipo's.

The price for that pack is similar to the original Respironics lead-accu pack with about 14 Ah and about 6 kg weight. My accu should have a weight of about 3.8 kg with charger and foto-pack. I had to fix a 12V car socket to the outlets of the battery.

First try of 8 hours use shows still 4 of 5 leds left on the fuel gauge . I use a PR System One Auto A-Flex in cpap-mode with 8mb and humidfier with level 2. I guess there are another two or three nights but it is not yet tested.

Last blackout we have had here about 20 years ago. It lasted for about 5 hours. - I want to use my backup battery when sleeping in caravan beside the road.

Fat Rat

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Converter with Jackery Explorer 160 Battery AndyB 6 5,296 03-12-2023, 03:07 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  [Product Review] MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery go2sleep 15 8,693 06-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Diotima245
  [Product Review] Gissaral GIS09B-AP3 lithium-ion battery pack (power bank) Fats Drywaller 4 3,040 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
Idea [Product Review] UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for CPAP - PAP Battery Kit by Phillips Respironics dk2011 2 3,997 06-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Product Review] Battery, AUDEW Portable "Generator" 220Wh/60,000mAh Gideon 3 3,270 08-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Product Review] RPSII Resmed battery pack Laevelder 2 4,445 10-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Last Post: mmcbath1492

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.