Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Best nasal pillows for sleepers that move around?
Best nasal pillows for sleepers that move around?
I use the Swift FX nasal pillows since I have been introduced to CPAP 2 months ago. It works well but tends to develop a leak when I turn over and this wakes me up to make a small adjustment. I read about the Pilairo and would like to ask opinions regarding the most leak resistant nasal pillows for high movement sleepers like myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best nasal pillows for sleepers that move around?
We've seen mixed reviews of the Pilairo. The Wisp in newer and again, we've seen mixed reviews. You just have to try them for yourself and see what works for you. There are too many variables, such as face shape and sleeping position, that can make it difficult to find the right mask.

I recommend a good pillow such as the Papillow. It helps me keep my mask on as I shift sleeping positions.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem initially with the Redmed Swift-FX. Solved it by slightly tightening the strap that goes around the back of my head. No trouble since.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any mask with straps will loosen up when your laying down with your cheek on a pillow, usually causing a leak. The Breeze is great, less leaks because it doesn't have straps that compress when your face hits the pillow.

The best mask on the market, IMHO, is the Tap Pap. No headgear at all. I've been on CPAP for the past 13 years, and I can honestly say, I have never slept better with any other mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Breeze is great for side sleepers, not so much for when you are on your back. The problem with most nasal pillows is they are so light weight, it doesn't take much of a tug on the hose for them to come loose. Avoid any where the hose is NOT routed over the head. If the hose dangles down from the nose, it's going to come loose in a heartbeat unless you rig it to go up over the head. This way the initial pull/tug is at that connection point on the headgear, not the nose piece.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2013, 06:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The Breeze is great for side sleepers, not so much for when you are on your back. The problem with most nasal pillows is they are so light weight, it doesn't take much of a tug on the hose for them to come loose. Avoid any where the hose is NOT routed over the head. If the hose dangles down from the nose, it's going to come loose in a heartbeat unless you rig it to go up over the head. This way the initial pull/tug is at that connection point on the headgear, not the nose piece.

Hi! Its me again, browsing through the information to find the best mask for sleeping on your side, rolling over to the other side, etc.

I have looked over the Swift FX, Breeze and WISP (nasal mask), as well as the Tap Pap (although the technician where I did my first, recent sleep study said it was essentially the CPAP Pro, which only 15 % of people kept.

I think I'd like to start out with a Nasal Mask and the WISP looks really good, since the mask doesn't hit the pillow, and the elbox swivels, plus it has a hole in the strap at the top of the head you can funnel the hose through so it goes over your head.

What's your opinion of the WISP, and are there any other masks for somone like myself that alternates sides to sleep on?
I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having great results with Wisp and have been using it since Nov 26. If you are a mouth breather, you may need a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2013, 09:27 PM)me50 Wrote: I am having great results with Wisp and have been using it since Nov 26. If you are a mouth breather, you may need a chin strap.

I saw a YouTube video of the WISP and it said the hose had a swivel on BOTH ends.

I understand and like a swivel where the hose attaches to the WISP but I don't understand what the swivel at the other end does for you (particularly when it is located just past the hole in the head strap on top of the head.

I suppose some swivel there "might" be somewhat useful but this is where I would like some comments from those of you who like/dislike this swiveling feature on BOTH ends.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about a swivel on the end that attaches to the climate line tubing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0cAYXY1s8s This video shows the wisp and unless I don't understand what you are saying, I don't know of a swivel at the end that attaches to your tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the wisp for about six weeks now. I had previously used Swift FX nasal pillows for the past two years but I, too, found that everytime I turned from side to side the pillows dislodged or I got all tangled up in the hose and about hung myself. I have found wisp to be a better fit for me. My large air leaks have decreased dramatically. Looping the hose over the head keeps it from wrapping around my neck, a definite plus. That does, however, obstruct your view somewhat if you read in bed or watch TV.

I wish we could be more helpful in your journey to find a perfect, or at least tolerable mask. It's very difficult to advise on masks since everyone has different facial structure and very different tolerance levels. What works for one person may not be acceptable for others. Trial and error is the only way to find your best fit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,699 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed Swift LT Nasal Pillows system [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 2 8,418 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Sallybags
  [Product Review] CPAP Pro Nasal Pillows System [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 3 9,546 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Last Post: stew0001
  [Product Review] ResMed Mirage Swift Nasal Pillows System [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 3 10,611 04-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Last Post: GregCavalier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.