Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar
Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar
My first review, please be gentle...

Company name: CorFlex Inc. Manchester, NH
Product name: Ultra Cervical Collar
Sizes (shirt size): UNV (16"-24"),  S (16"-20"),  M (18"-22"),  L (20"-24"),  XL (22"-26")
Collar height: 2.5", 3.5", 4.5"
Material: Medium firm foam, soft cotton stockinette cover, Velcro closure
Cleaning: Hand wash in warm water with mild soap, air-dry only
Country of origin: Made in Dominican Republic

Order at: Amazon, or directly from CorFlex (link above has information about placing an order)

Pros:
The anatomically contoured foam with soft cotton stockinette is very comfortable. It stays in place and does not get hot wearing it. The cervical collar addresses medical issues around the neck, but works very well for keeping the mouth shut during the night. It is well made, I had not noticed any deterioration during the close to a month wearing it.

Cons:
The Velcro is strong, taking it off makes loud noise
I didn't buy two of them?

My circumstances:
As a mouth breather, without any aid my mouth opened during the night. I've rejected the mouth tape and chin strap in any form. The main reason for the rejection is wouldn't want to have my mouth taped shot and the chin straps would interfere with the mask's straps. I really didn't even want to get the cervical collar, my wife still smiles when I get ready for the night, but I had no choice.

After researching cervical collars, I've narrowed my choices to the CorFlex and the Eliminator and purchased both of them. The Eliminator didn't not have the small dip for the chin, nor was the collar high enough for my physical size.

The CorFlex Ultra did have the small dip and the height of the collar is perfect. As the CorFlex collar curves up, it gently holds the full length of the lower jaws in place in addition to the chin. I've been wearing it since 05.18.20 every night, very comfortable. The only time I notice that the collar is, when I put on or take it off. There's no movement of the collar noticed in the morning. In short, I love this collar and ordering another one; air drying takes too long.

Recommendation:
While the CorFlex Ultra did worked out for me, pretty much eliminated leaks caused by open mouth, it's not a guarantee, that it'll work out for you. Research cervical collars and the select the brand that you're familiar with, or like.

If you decide on the CorFlex Ultra, measure the distance between your chest and chin for the collar height. Next select the size of the CorFlex Ultra, based on the your shirt size, with the collar height closest to the measured distance between your chest and chin. The product link above has a size table, that make selecting the correct size easier.

For example, how I selected the right size...

My neck size is 18", wearing shirt size 19", and measured little over three inches between the chest and chin. Based on this and CorFlex Ultra sizing listed above, I selected size Medium with 3.5" collar height. Keep in mind, that I could have got the Medium size with 2.5" 4.5" heights as well. I did not go for the Universal size with the same height, tried to keep the size range as narrow as possible.
"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Coreflex Ultra Cervical Collar
This is a great review! Thanks for the help. I will add a link to the Soft Cervical Collar wiki so this review is available.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great review. Thanks as this is added to the list on possible extras needed if/when I try to get away from full face masks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for the kind words, I am glad to contribute to the best forum about sleeping disorders...

@Dave...

I did use AirFit F30i / Phillips Dreamwear with and without the Ultra....

Without the Ultra, time over leak redline was around 35-40% average, did go over 60% at times.

With the Ultra, this dropped down to 20-25% range, keeping my mouth shut and the bottom of the FFM seal did not fall in my mouth.  This is when I've learned, that these FFMs are too small for my "big mouth", for the lack of better word. The corners of my lips were either right under the seal, or even hanging out from under. I literally had to "pucker up" to keep the corners of my mouth inside the seal. That's not easy to do while sleeping.

I didn't want to mention it in the review, since both FFMs were too small for my physical size. It would not had been fair for me to beat up on them.

If your FFM fits you well, you may want to try the Ultra and could just work out for you. You've got nothing to loose, you slated to have the Ultra around with your nose mask anyway.

Oops, maybe I shouldn't give you advice on extras... Dont-know
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks for the feedback. Good luck on successes continuing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the review, Aludj. It's especially timely given that the Eliminator seems to be out of production, at least for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar
Update for the Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar...

I did get another one and hand washed and air dried the first. It took close to a day to dry fully. That's the bad news; the good news is that the washing/drying did not impact the collar in any ways.

When it came to my wife to wash it, she put it in a lingerie-bag, in to the wash machine, ran a gentle cycle and air dried it. The collar dried in couple of hours and the end result had been the same, no impact to the collar.

One less things to hand wash... Okay
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
I vote for your wife’s method! Many thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you explain the measurement "from chest to chin"?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2021, 03:23 PM)Larrypac Wrote: Could you explain the measurement "from chest to chin"?

I could had been more descriptive for measuring the distance between the chest and the chin, sorry about that...

The chest start at the base of the neck, right around the Sternum notch, or jugular notch. That's pretty much at the same level with the Collarbone. You should measure the distance from this point to the bottom of the chin, select the size based on this measurement and the shirt size.

In my view, selecting a 0.5" taller collar is fine. It does collapse a little, but it didn't matter for me.
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Blabok Neck Brace cervical collar ejbpesca 0 1,605 09-20-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  [Product Review] VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar zzzZorro 16 5,221 09-03-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Fabby
Cool [Product Review] Review Futuro Sleep Collar Rice95 9 7,444 06-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  [Product Review] Review: Core Products Foam Cervical Collar, Black Purr3k 1 2,211 06-03-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Product Review] The Eliminator sleep collar Grandpapa-G 16 5,804 03-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  [Product Review] Cervical Collar fixed much of my CA issue richdreher 2 2,586 02-13-2021, 09:15 PM
Last Post: richdreher
  [Product Review] Carex Cervical Collar drmaestro 2 5,608 08-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.