Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] F&P Forma and Phillips Amara Full Face masks
F&P Forma and Phillips Amara Full Face masks
I have two full face masks. They are poth a positive solution to the problem of mouth breathing. When i use a nazel mask the pressure inside my navel cavity forces air out of my mouth. The result is a dry mouth condition that is very uncomfortable and limited my CPAP use. I tried gagets to block my mouth and to keep my jaw closed buy they were unsatisfactory. In terms of fixing my problem both masks are 5 stars.

Which is better?

It depends. The Amara from respironics covers the nose and mouth to between the lower lip and the chin. Headgeat ajsustments are via velcro closures. I learned very quickly that the mask needed to be tight or the pressure would force leaks around the edges. Over time the headgear has stretched.

The Forma from Fisher & Paykel hooks slightly under the jaw. The headgear has a clasp that one uses to unhook the gear when taking the mask off.

Both seem to keep the jaw closed although the Forma does a better job.

Other than that both masks are very similer. Both masks use a soft insert that expands when under pressure and seals. The Forma Has heavy foam cushioning underneath the insert while the Amara has another silicone seal.

In terms of comfort and price the Amara is slightly better UNTIL the mask gets blown off your face and leaks.  The Forma seems to stay on my face better and not get blown off as easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Forma and Phillips Amara Full Face masks
Thanks for the reviews, Tom...

and welcome to Apnea Board!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree the forma is an awesome mask have been using it for almost a year and haven't had to replace anything and no leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The amara was great at low pressures but it leaked like crazy at higher pressures
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the Forma let you breathe through your mouth if needed? Thank you. Jeff.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2013, 08:53 PM)Airstream Wrote: Does the Forma let you breathe through your mouth if needed? Thank you. Jeff.

These are full face masks so, yes, they allow you to breathe through your mouth and your nose. The same is true of hybrid masks.

Oral masks are quite rare, and they allow you to breathe through your mouth only.

Nasal masks and nasal pillows masks allow you to breathe through your nose only.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply Sleepster.
I've read posts that mention the Fisher-Paykal full face masks set under the chin to prevent you from opening your mouth. I would guess that they help you keep your mouth closed, not prevent you from opening it. Was hoping a FP user could confirm this.
Thank you. Jeff.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the Forma for over a year and yes the under the chin helps keep your mouth closed but you can still breath through your mouth with no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started with the Forma and will be switching to something else as soon as I can meet with my provider. It definitely discourages you from opening your mouth but it does not prevent it. Indeed when I am very relaxed in certain positions my mouth opens completely and my chin slips out of the mask causing a huge leak and waking me up. I tried adding a chin strap but since the mask goes over the chin it also goes over the strap and there is a lot of leakage around the strap.

(02-23-2013, 07:55 AM)Airstream Wrote: Thanks for your reply Sleepster.
I've read posts that mention the Fisher-Paykal full face masks set under the chin to prevent you from opening your mouth. I would guess that they help you keep your mouth closed, not prevent you from opening it. Was hoping a FP user could confirm this.
Thank you. Jeff.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just got the amara mask today. I was using zest q nasal mask but its rubbing sore under nose.

For ones who have used it does lot of air come out of you exhalation vent??

Mine does inhaling or exhaling. My pressure is 15.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 661 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,013 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,298 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 48 25,592 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: sm315
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,816 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] F&P Vitera Full Face SarcasticDave94 7 6,234 12-17-2021, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Mutineer
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,262 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.