Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Fisher & Paykel's Simplus FF Mask
Fisher & Paykel's Simplus FF Mask
4 I give this mask four & a half stars because I found it to be well designed, especially the headgear, also it is functional and comfortable.
The mask itself is attached to the headgear by easy to remove plastic hooks, which I really like. It's obvious F&P put a lot of R&D into this mask. The shell and especially the membrane seal is cleverly engineered with particular attention to the area of the bridge of the nose, which is where, every sufferer knows, leaks can blow air into the eyes causing problems.
Having used this mask for the past 2 months I found it has a tendency to ride upwards during the night. This action repositions the lower (chin) section of the seal causing air leaks. Where this problem may not exist for most users, sufferers experiencing mouth leaks, that is, therapy air exhausting orally, will find it difficult. Percentage air leaks will be high with accompanying loss of airway pressure.
Because this is essentially a very good product, I designed a modification to overcome this tendency which as my SH chart shows, works really well. Currently I am trying to get a patent for my modifications so I can post them here. Negotiations are continuing
[Image: tn_sleepyhead3.png]
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fisher & Paykel's Simplus FF Mask
(08-09-2014, 12:55 AM)woozie38 Wrote: Having used this mask for the past 2 months I found it has a tendency to ride upwards during the night. This action repositions the lower (chin) section of the seal causing air leaks.
. . .
Because this is essentially a very good product, I designed a modification to overcome this tendency which as my SH chart shows, works really well.

Hi Woozie,
Happy Simplus user here. I have experienced the effect you mention. I'll be most interested to see your modification when you can post it.

Good Luck negotiating!
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Hi Woozie,
Happy Simplus user here. I have experienced the effect you mention. I'll be most interested to see your modification when you can post it.
Good Luck negotiating!
Hi becker44a, Thank you for your encouragement. Fisher & Paykel have told me they couldn't endorse my mods because they didn't come from their design dept., which is govt health approved. Their head of design advised me to get a patent for my work and then they could look at it from a production point of view. I feel it's too good an idea to simply give away.
I envisage it will cost between AU$23. & $25, but getting the patent granted could be time consuming & prove costly. Anyway I will post reports as progress is made.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
WishfulSleeper and others:

I moved the "whistling" question and responses to the Main Forum. This is the Review Forum. By putting it in the Main area, others with the same issue can either find help or give help faster.

You can find your new thread here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...us-FF-Mask
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
dtester, I moved your post to its own thread in the Main Forum. This is the Review Forum.

You can find your post here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Mask-leak
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Azor, I moved your post, and Payton's response, to its own thread. This is the Review Forum where reviews of products are given. Your question belongs in the Main Forum where problems are asked, discussed, and hopefully solved.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Mask--7707

______

Sgearhart, for the same reason, I moved your post to its own thread.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...us-FF-Mask
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
For the next person about to post here with a whistling or noisy mask, please just take the time to read any of the above three or four threads to find others with the SAME PROBLEM. Don't post your problem here. Or I will just move it. Like I did ALL the others.

All it takes is a second to read the thread.

This is the Review Forum. For reviews of products. Not a place to ask questions about a product.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I am new to the board and not fully understanding how it is organized. After I sent my post I eventually did find previous posts on this subject, but did not know if I would be able to retract what I had sent. I will try to be more alert to this in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the F&P Simplus FFM presently. I was started on a Fitlife because that was the only style mask that would seal on me at the lab. I was told it was likely the only mask I would ever be able to use. And that I was a mouth breather.

And for the most part the techs were correct in that I was loaned several FFM to try Quatro Mirage, couple of others. They would not seal at all on me while the Fitlife would.

The Simplus is the ONLY FFM Ive had that will seal completely on me. With little strap tension. And that is over a beard to boot!

Wont say its more comfortable than the Fitlife because it was very comfortable. The Simplus is every bit AS comfortable though. It does vent almost as much as the Fitlife does. But its dead quiet. And oddly it stands up to higher pressures better than the Fitlife at least on my noggin.

Cleaning is a snap. Very easy and simple to take apart and reassemble. Doesnt get much simpler than pull cushion out and pop it back in. No latches tabs etc to mess with. Head gear is very comfortable also. I wondered at the no padding on the forehead piece but discovered it doesnt actually touch my forehead so no need to pad it. If its touching your forehead and is the right size then you have the mask sitting to high and top straps to tight.

My PRS1 Opti Start feature calculated it should be set at min of 9 with the Simplus vs the min of 8 with the Fitlife for some reason. Maybe because of the rolling cushion giving a bit more. Or could just be its winter and I tend to stuff up more in winter, who knows.

Having my DR change my mask prescription to the Simplus for insurance purposes. have nothing but good things to say about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fisher & Paykel's Simplus FF Mask Another take on it.
5 After using the F&P Simplus for about two months and my wife also using one for a slightly shorter time, I feel I have a pretty good idea of the performance of this mask.

First impressions. Mask comes completely assembled, headgear attached so there is no figuring out how things fit as you simply watch when you take it apart.

Fitting is easy starting from top down. The top straps over the head need to be adjusted first so the top straps are going parallel to the ears with as litle angle as possible.
Next the top side straps adjusted loosely. The top forehead support doesnt have too and probably wont touch you forehead when properly adjusted.

Then move to the bottom straps and adjust them. The mask is capable of fitting more loosely than a Mirage Quatro or Air or even a Fitlife.

It seals well even at pressures of 18 to 20. One thing that really stands out is that if you do need to tighten up a bit more at very high pressure the mask remains comfortable due to the softness and give of the roll fit cushion.

Noise--- other than the sound of your own breathing which you get with any mask its silent. I cannot hear the venting of my mask nor my wifes with a dead silent bedroom but for the machine. Nor her mine. Even facing each other though facing each other the high vent rate will blow air on the other person.

Ease of cleaning. Could not be easier. head gear comes off thru slots in the top and snaps on bottom so your adjustment is maintained.
Normally all the cleaning that is needed is to pop the one piece cushion out wash it, let dry and pop back in. One hint. If you do pull the grey swivel piece hold it in your hand when rinsing it. It is light and small enough to go down the drain thru the drain trap and be gone. Dont ask me how I know LOL.

Over all impression. The most comfortable quiet and effective FFM on the market. A reasonably intelligent slug can take it part and put it back together. Extremely comfortable and with a durable cushion. Good for side sleeping. Mask can take quite a bit of pushing and still hold its seal. For very high pressure as in 20 cm if need be it can be tightened to not leak remain totally comfortable. Wont be needed for most folks but I have cinched it down for purpose of doing this review and comfort is not an issue.

Once adjustment of the headgear is done its done. Headgear is very durable doesnt have the tendency to stretch and lose tension nearly as quick as other head gear ive had. Soft and comfortable. Have never had strap marks with it. Probably because it simply can be worn looser than any other FFM I have tried. If the mask has a tendency to ride up it is either the wrong size or and this is most likely the straps over the head are adjusted too tight. The side straps should go straight back not back and up like some other masks are designed to do.

Probably the highest praise it can get is that my wife tried a loaned Mirage Quatro and developed a nose sore the first night. Not a spot but a sore. It healed WHILE using the Simplus every night.

The ONLY minus and for 99 percent it wont be an issue is if you sleep in an extremely cold bedroom as in 45 degrees F or below, run a extremely high humidity and have no heated hose, this mask has a tendency to condense moisture from your own breath. I never had the problem but my wife did for two nights running a PRS1 humidity of 5 which is highest in a bedroom temp that fell into the low 40s. Dry hose but wet mask.
Above that temp range its a non issue heated hose or not.

Hope this helps someone. You know who you are you FFM searching for the right mask, little rascals you CoffeeSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Fisher-Paykel Oracle 2 Oral mask jds74 15 20,383 10-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: kakadyi
  [Product Review] Fisher Paykel Zest Nasal Mask MobileBasset 5 8,004 08-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Last Post: 49er
Thumbsup [Product Review] Fisher & Paykel Pilairo nasal pillow mask aussie_sleepy 6 14,350 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Product Review] F&P Simplus - First few nights use Monkey 29 39,687 12-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.