Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] New Philips DreamWisp
New Philips DreamWisp
I got the new DreamWisp on Friday. Here are my first impressions. 

1) It's a huge improvement over the "old" Wisp which was given to me by my doctor's office, from a comfort perspective. More on this below. 

2) The masks are sized correctly so there aren't gaps. The old Wisp only had S/M, Large, and XL. My nose was too big for S/M and too small for Large. When I wore the S/M, I was constantly waking up and adjusting the mask because it was too tight. When I wore the Large, it was too loose and I'd get leaks from it shifting around. This could be a big help for others like me who stopping using the old Wisp because of the mask size.

3) It improves on the old Dreamwear unit by adding a sizing connector at the top of the frame. The connectors come in small, med, and large sizes so instead of having three different frames, it's just one frame with 3 connectors you can easily swap out. It comes with medium, you have to buy any others. More on this below.

Issues -

The only issue I have so far is that the DreamWisp frame with the medium connector seems to be just a little smaller than the Dreamwear Medium frame. I couldn't get a great fit for it on the first night and it would shift toward my eyes, so I ordered the large connector to see if that helps with the sizing and overall fit. I think this is due to the larger part at the nose which causes the frame to stretch forward more at the nose area and pulls the frame toward the front of your face. 

Overall, I think this has great potential and could be the answer for people who have struggled to find a good non-FF mask. It has the tube on the head vs at the nose and gives you the coverage of a full nasal mask. It's the best part of the old Wisp and the benefit of the Dreamwear unit, which can be better for people who sleep on their side. This could also help people who liked the idea of the tube on the head with the Dreamwear nasal mask or pillows, but had leaking issues or comfort issue with them.

Once I get the large connector, which shipped today and should be here by Thursday, I'll add to this with more feedback.

The pictures below are the new DreamWisp, the Dreamwear Nasal and DreamWisp, the connector piece on the DreamWisp, and a comparison of Wisp masks (left is the S/M "old" Wisp, middle is the Med. DreamWisp, and right is the Large "old" Wisp). You can see how the medium DreamWisp is the same height as the S/M Wisp, but just a little wider. That made all the difference for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Philips DreamWisp
Thanks Matsarge.
I had the same experience with the original Wisp nosepiece.  The S/M seemed to cut into my nose/face intersection slightly and could become irritating after a while because of that, and like you, I didn't need as large a cushion as the Wisp large size.  Your photo shows why the Dreamwisp medium cushion is more comfortable than the Wisp S/M.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add- if you need a different connector size, I found the best price at Supplier #30 on the suppliers list.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the review! I am calling my DME tomorrow to see if I can get this set up. I have used a Wisp about 90% of the 3.5 years I've been Papping, and like it, but the heavy headgear is hard on my thinning hair. I have also used the Dreamwear, both types of cushions, but didn't do well with either, mostly because of leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sidesleeper, I don't think the Dreamwisp will be any better as far as heavy headgear.  It has just as much if not more bulkiness than the Wisp headgear.  But the cushions seem slightly better and of course there are other upsides, too.
If you have leaks with the Dreamwear mask, try using an extra strap, placed lower on the side tubes to help stabilize it, and use the smallest cushion you can.
Post Reply Post Reply
My humble review: https://www.cpapblog.pl/2019/09/review-t...mwisp.html

/I give my consent to copy the text if you want this on the ApneaBoard/
Post Reply Post Reply
That was a great review, PCSTUD.

Although it was very well done, my experience is a bit different than yours and I'm more critical of a few design features of both the Dreamwear under nose mask and the Dreamwisp.

The dreamwear and dreamwisp have the top connection, which works well physically, but I don't like the exhalation hole.  It still concentrates air at that point, and blows it on, for example, your hand or wrist if it happens to be up there above your head.  The under nose pillow isn't stable unless one purchases and uses a second head strap   On the dreamwisp, the magnetic clips have some bulk and can press into the face of side sleepers, and I don't think that the headgear in total is very well designed.  It's either too loose, or if tightened adequately, presses uncomfortably on the back of the neck.  The regular wisp headgear, for example, is better in that it grabs the top and back of one's head instead of pressing on one's spine at the back of the head.

The dreamwisp cushion is just...okay.  I like the N20 cushion much better - the N20 has a combination of stiffness where needed and softness where that is required so it's both comfortable and well sealing, whereas the dreamwisp is a bit mushy with thin, less supported inner edges. This makes it more difficult to seal initially and, unless the headgear is just right, it can unseal.

What Philips should have done is to revise the headgear straps on the under-nose dreamwear mask so it's stable, rather than coming out with an over the nose mask.
I didn't like the N30i mask because the cushions were too stiff on the outside and not well sealing or comfortable and the side arms weren't very pliable.
Post Reply Post Reply
The choice of mask is a very subjective thing. If it was different, we wouldn't have so many models on the market. :-) But I agree with you that the pillow in the n20 is better. If the n20 had a connection at the top of its head, it could have been an even better mask. Just remember that the silicone frame has its limitations.

I really like n30i, because it eliminates one problem with DreamWear. In the second one, when the fit is too strong, the nose wings tighten. The strap is also better. I use this mask the most. DreamWear has a better frame (if you fit it well). This single strap in both masks has its own logic. It likes to loosen... but is easy to correct if need. The air vents don't bother me... Maybe I'm used to it (better in n30i)
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the masks are a very subjective thing.  But it doesn't automatically follow that this dictates we should have all of these mask designs.  Much of the output is for the very simple reason of marketing and profit maximization.

I made my own franken-mask by taking an N20 cushion, gluing the lightweight N20 front hose directly into it (although the hose is made to clip into an N20 frame, it will fit snugly into the cushion itself) using GOOP brand glue, routing this assembly through the hole of a Wisp frame, and routing the hose up and through the top loop of the Wisp headgear and tying it in place there.  Although the cushion isn't firmly affixed to the Wisp frame in this arrangement, it doesn't need to be, as it's held in place by the frame pushing it toward the face.  This makes a comfortable mask.  (I didn't like the N20 headgear, finding it similar to the dreamwisp's).  You end up with a top connection, no air blowing out up there,  a nice diffuser on the cushion itself, and the front hose not seeming to be a problem or have any inertia as you turn back and forth.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds interesting, I'd like to see it. :-)

I actually like the frame in the n20- is very stable on the face. This is probably the only mask in which I have always had 0 leakage.

You inspired me with this "franken-mask" - maybe I'll do my own experiments. ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,967 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.