Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask
Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask
I tried the original Philips Respironics Dreamwear Mask a few years ago and found it to be very comfortable but my wife said that it leaked much more than the Airfit P10 I used before it, so I put it back in its bag and stored it in my CPAP mask graveyard.

But recently I saw that Philips now offers a Dreamwear Full Face Mask that uses the frame I already have, so I bought a "medium" mask (measured using the handy tool Philips provides) and headgear (the nasal-only headgear won't work with the full face mask). I love the idea of a full-face mask alternative that doesn't cover my nose and can be easily removed.

During the day I adjusted the headgear and took a trial run using my Dreamstation's mask fit feature, which gave it a green check mark. I couldn't detect leaks anywhere, though air moving through the mask sounded incredibly loud to me. My wife said it sounded about the same as my other masks to her, so I gave it a try for the first time last night.

In a silent house at night the air rushing through the mask seemed even louder, especially when I inhaled. I didn't feel like I slept at all and finally gave up and switched to my Nuance Pro nasal pillow mask after 4 hours of fitful sleep. Once I did that, I got 4 hours of virtually uninterrupted sleep.

This morning I checked my stats on the Dreamstation display and saw that my AHI for the night was 10.9. It's normally around 2.0 with the Nuance Pro mask, so I suspect my AHI while wearing the Dreamwear Full Face Mask must've been around 20.

Oddly, Oscar claims the SD card data reports an AHI of 2.15, with a very low AHI during the time I used the new mask (see attachment). Oscar did, however, report a very high leak rate while wearing the new mask.

I was never fitted for the Dreamwear mask; I bought the medium frame on Amazon, and that's what I used last night. I'm a 6'1" 220 lb guy whose head is not particularly small, but it's not huge either (contrary to what my wife says  Bigwink). Could my poor experience with the new mask be an indication that I should be using a smaller frame, or that the new-in-a-sealed-package full face mask is defective?

Has anyone else tried this mask and had a better experience? I'd love to find a way to make it work.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, and political theorist
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask
Did you change the mask type in your Dreamstation? The entire trial of the full-face appears to be borderline large leak.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't, so thanks for the suggestion. But when I did set it to X1 as recommended in the mask manual, I didn't notice any difference.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, and political theorist
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the DreamWear Full Face Mask (Item #1133381) Medium size. I used this mask during the recent sleep study, and I did like it. One of my prior masks was a Swift FX Nasal Pillow, which I liked because of my being a side sleeper (but occasionally end up mouth breathing), so that was the main reason to try this mask.

I'm a very new user of this mask, so initially I made lots of adjustments in order to reduce/eliminate leakage. My provider was not very helpful, just put it on, made some adjustments, then basically sent me on my way. My pressures, I believe are hi (18/14) so I believe that complicated my getting to a good point. I primarily sleep on my left side, with occasional back and right side positions. I like the magnetic connections on the mask, makes it much easer getting the mask on/off. They have not come apart when sleeping, so far.

I find the top air connection to be far better than when connected in the front of a mask. When on the side, I sometimes get a small leakage, but a reposition of my head almost always clears it. The mask is very comfortable to sleep with. My only discomfort with the mask is an irritation at the base of my nose in the center, right at the lip level. In the mask there is a small soft silicone 'strap' that is in that area. I believe that is the culprit, but do know the best way to solve it (afraid to cut it off).

Henri
Post Reply Post Reply

I'm now into my 13th day of use with this mask.

With regard to the quote in an earlier message "My only discomfort with the mask is an irritation at the base of my nose in the center, right at the lip level. In the mask there is a small soft silicone 'strap' that is in that area. I believe that is the culprit, but do know the best way to solve it (afraid to cut it off)."

This irritation continues to be an issue, and in has resulted in a very sore spot that occasionally bleeds a bit when I remove the mask in the morning. Throughout this period I have re-adjusted straps, re-positioned the mask, all resulting in no reduction in irritation (photo above).

In an attempt, since i did not risk cutting the part out of the mask (aka: chicken), decided to try to 'pad' the area to see if that would help (photo above).

Well, it helped considerably!! This morning, no bleeding, nor is the area as sensitive to touch as it had been. So for now, this is a solution, till the next mask washing session. So I'm looking for ideas, is it safe to just trim that 'web' off, eliminating the irritation source, or is it better to devise a better way to 'pad' the area on the mask. I did try a small band-aid on the nose itself, but that was not successful.

I really like this mask, easy on/off, almost no air leaks that are preventable usually by simply repositioning my head (i sleep on my sides primarily). My AHI numbers are usually below 1.0.

Thanks for looking....
Henri Monnier
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info, thanks Henri.   Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Still lovin the mask.. like ... using it now for 25 days straight (average sessions of 7.6 hours).... All the numbers look good so far with an average AHI of 1.26. However, I did, a week ago with trepidation, cut out that web that was causing the raw spot under the nose. I had fashioned a pad there that did help (you can see the pad in my earlier post), but it did not fully remove the pressure there. I still sleep on my side or back, without any large air leaks. Occasionally while side sleeping, I can detect some small leaks, all of which are cleared by simple repositioning my head. I'd suggest anyone looking for a full face mask, consider this one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey hmo, I have the same problem with soreness on my lower nasal area.  I use the dreamwear full face rotating with other masks.  Do you still use that mask and continue cutting the middle divider?
Does it seem to weaken the mask?
And has it solved the irritation problem?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yank,

Yes i continue to use that mask, and continue cutting out that divider. No it does not seem to adversely effect the mask, nor does it seem to have any effect on the 'sealing' during the night. For side sleeping it is very good, but for back sleeping it is far more sensitive with regard to sealing. But I attribute that to pressure.

Something else that also works, with the modified mask: at the center of the mask where the silicone normally sits just under you nose, as you put the mask on, sorta slide it down over you nose so that that silicone in the center of the mask, stays on top of your nose. Then complete putting the straps on, leaving the little silicone piece on top of the end of your nose. Sounds silly, also not according to the rules, but for some reason it works....

Also I must say, I only recently changed over to a new mask. The old one was fine, and after 4 months it was as good as it was in the beginning (after cutting that pesky piece out of course).

If you have any further questions, or suggestions let me know....

Cheers, Henri
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Henri, I am going to try and cut that divider and see how it goes.  I will also try the technique with putting the nasal area above my nose.  
Will let you know, appreciate your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 661 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,015 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,299 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,153 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,991 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 48 25,599 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: sm315
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,816 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.