Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Pulse Oximeter CMS-50D+
RE: Pulse Oximeter CMS-50D+
I tried it one night on my middle finger and the results were very inconsistent. It kept saying the finger was out and it would keep going back to the "searching" mode with blank lines instead of numbers. No clue why. So I only use the index finger.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, i tend to use it on my third finger, but I have a scar on my index finger due to nearly slicing the finger pad off completely during a surgical accident when my knife slipped (scalpels are SHARP!) that would mess with the readings anyway. Common practice is the middle finger of the left hand, but in theory, any finger should do - the best way to find out which fingers work for you is to simply try to get a reading on each finger while awake for, say, 1 minute per finger; the fingers that all read the same are likely to be the one where you get your best and most consistent reading, the others usually either don't fit right or have calluses or scars that prevent a clear reading. And ALWAYS tape the fingerling with some sort of surgical tape (Fixomul is the best for that, J&J stretch tapes work pretty well, too) or it will slip in the night. The instruction manual for the device is useless. Actually, mine without one, and the manual on the accompanying disk was pointless. Good thing I knew how to use them anyway....
Post Reply Post Reply
All of the posts concerning which and where to buy have been moved to here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ter-to-buy
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2012, 11:51 AM)SlightlySleepy Wrote: Ok, final review numbers are in:

Short story:  Just lost another night's sleep data.  Tried to download data.  Zilch. Nada.  

Why?  After a good long weekend night's rest, I left my CMS-50D+ running while I removed the batteries (thus simulating a dead battery situation) and then placed NEW batteries in to prepare for the critical data transfer process (which from yesterday's detective work we thought was the critical time!   Wrong!)    The batteries cannot be removed or run down prior to data transfer apparently!!!    When I connected the oximeter to the USB connector and opened the software, it said "device connected, waiting for data and downloaded...NOTHING (blank screen with less than a second data on it).

I give up.  This is ridiculous!   My rechargeable's don't seem to be able to a full night consistently (although last night they probably could have) and buying new non-rechargeable batteries every night defeats the cheap price of the CMS-50D+.

I'm looking at Nonin's but nothing really catches my eye (software alone is $425)   Is it time to reverse engineer the CMS50D+ and give it a decent USB jtag connector?

Am having the same "rechargeable batteries died on me while I sleep" problem, and I am asking around too. 

May I know what brands of rechargeable batteries are you all using for Comtec CMS50D+?

Am using Eneloop AAA batteries, but I realised it doesn't last long, like only 10 hours (if it's freshly charged and used immediately), and less than 8 hrs (auto shut off) if it's stored for 1 day....

Googled and read up on batteries, learnt that alkaline batteries gives 1.5V charge, and eneloop is advertised as 1.2V. So when my 50D+ auto shutdown from "low battery", and the battery is measured using my battery charge meter, it just shows only a small drop (11 bars compared to 13 bars after freshly charged, which is still within the working range of my other equipment). Am not sure if 50D+ working range is higher than average appliance.

Working range (as stated from http://cms.contecmed.com/html/show-9-99-1.html)
Voltage: DC 2.6V~3.6V (Eneloop rechargeable is advertised as 1.2V, 2 batteries in parallel is = 2.4V), on googling, found that it start off from 1.4V (2.8V), then should maintain at 1.3V for first 25% of discharge (2.6V, bare minimum for 50D+), then after that it will go below 1.3V the next 75% (graph on http://s3.media.squarespace.com/product ... -curve.gif)

At first I thought it will last 24 hrs (site above says theoretically 32 hrs), so I can use it for 2-3 nights per charge. Now if I can't use it past 1 night (after storage), am not sure if my "new" rechargeable batteries is faulty, or......

Have also ordered these lithium batteries that's advertised as 1.5V, see if this works well
Commercial Link Removed, Google search Lazada web site for USB Rechargeable AAA Batteries 1.5V.

May I know what are the brands of batteries that you all are using to get 2 nights out of them? Smile

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] O2 Ring Oximeter ejbpesca 0 303 02-01-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  [Product Review] Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter Crimson Nape 21 6,444 01-18-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: kappa
  [Product Review] Contec CMS 50I Pulse Oximeter drmaestro 1 2,877 09-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
Thumbsup [Product Review] CMS50F Pulse Oximeter (USB, no bluetooth) Peter_C 21 15,930 09-05-2021, 10:13 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Big Guy 5 2,643 02-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Thumbsup [Product Review] Jumper JPD-500F Wireless Bluetooth Finger Pulse Oximeter vivaldi 0 4,048 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Last Post: vivaldi
Thumbsup [Product Review] CONTEC PM60A Handheld Oximeter Pulse Monitor RWS0022 0 4,807 06-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Last Post: RWS0022

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.