Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Quattro FX or Mirage Quattro?
RE: Quattro FX or Mirage Quattro?
I just got the Quattro FX from my DME today to try out. I have been trying to solve mouth leaks/breathing that occurs when using the Swift FX. It seemed like when he set it up today that it was a lot tighter than the Swift FX pillows but I haven't pressured it up with the S9 yet. I'm sure I'll have an opinion on the Quattro FX in the morning when I have a look at the leak data.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty face on that horse, PS. We have 2 red dun Quarters and a red chestnut Paint. Daugher and 2 granddaughters compete at local Open, Breed, Color and 4H shows and do quite well. Daughter has a vintage Ladies Phaeton and drives. The old mare had a breath taking road gait in her day. She's 32 now and pretty much retired. We are fortunate to have an old Christmas Tree farm to ride in that has a good size pond on it. The young mare LOVES to wade into the pond and snorkle. Its so much fun to watch her play in the pond. Especially if she can splash the other horses w/her snorkling and/or feet and legs.

Keep in mind w/the Quattro FX and other full face and nasal cushion masks that unlike the nasal pillows style masks the cushion masks need to fill w/air and be filled w/air for the cushion to seal properly and well. Do NOT make the mistake of tightening the headgear too much. Watch the CD that comes w/the Quattro FX to learn the tricks of fitting it properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2012, 05:54 PM)pssnn Wrote: I just got the Quattro FX from my DME today to try out. I have been trying to solve mouth leaks/breathing that occurs when using the Swift FX. It seemed like when he set it up today that it was a lot tighter than the Swift FX pillows but I haven't pressured it up with the S9 yet. I'm sure I'll have an opinion on the Quattro FX in the morning when I have a look at the leak data.

I'm interested to hear how you made out last night!

(03-26-2012, 10:57 PM)COPD2 Wrote: Keep in mind w/the Quattro FX and other full face and nasal cushion masks that unlike the nasal pillows style masks the cushion masks need to fill w/air and be filled w/air for the cushion to seal properly and well. Do NOT make the mistake of tightening the headgear too much. Watch the CD that comes w/the Quattro FX to learn the tricks of fitting it properly.

COPD2 offers sound advice on fitting the Quattro FX. If you didn't get the CD, there are videos either on the ResMed website or on YouTube that describe the "swing and seal" technique that is unique to the Quattro FX and how to best adjust the tension on the headgear. One thing I do too is that after putting on the mask, I press with one finger on the front of the mask between the vent holes and the hose connection elbow, then turn on the machine. As the air pressure ramps up, I then slowly release my finger from the front of the mask. That allows the air pressure to inflate the cushion against your face and form a good seal. Sometimes before, if I just turned the machine on without doing this, I would get leaks especially at the top of the mask.

We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2012, 10:57 PM)COPD2 Wrote: Pretty face on that horse, PS. We have 2 red dun Quarters and a red chestnut Paint. Daugher and 2 granddaughters compete at local Open, Breed, Color and 4H shows and do quite well. Daughter has a vintage Ladies Phaeton and drives. The old mare had a breath taking road gait in her day. She's 32 now and pretty much retired. We are fortunate to have an old Christmas Tree farm to ride in that has a good size pond on it. The young mare LOVES to wade into the pond and snorkle. Its so much fun to watch her play in the pond. Especially if she can splash the other horses w/her snorkling and/or feet and legs.

Thanks COPD2,
That photo was taken when he was just a 4yr old tyke. He is now a sweet middle aged 18 yr old. Your mare sounds awesome and good to hear she is going strong at 32 Smile

(03-26-2012, 10:57 PM)COPD2 Wrote: Keep in mind w/the Quattro FX and other full face and nasal cushion masks that unlike the nasal pillows style masks the cushion masks need to fill w/air and be filled w/air for the cushion to seal properly and well. Do NOT make the mistake of tightening the headgear too much. Watch the CD that comes w/the Quattro FX to learn the tricks of fitting it properly.

I did not get a CD with the mask. The DME just gave me the mask (does it also come with the bag shown in the ResMed YouTube video?).
Thanks for the tips, I will be trying to wear the mask again tonight since I gave up after about 15 minutes last nigh tSad

(03-27-2012, 05:47 AM)b360155 Wrote: COPD2 offers sound advice on fitting the Quattro FX. If you didn't get the CD, there are videos either on the ResMed website or on YouTube that describe the "swing and seal" technique that is unique to the Quattro FX and how to best adjust the tension on the headgear. One thing I do too is that after putting on the mask, I press with one finger on the front of the mask between the vent holes and the hose connection elbow, then turn on the machine. As the air pressure ramps up, I then slowly release my finger from the front of the mask. That allows the air pressure to inflate the cushion against your face and form a good seal. Sometimes before, if I just turned the machine on without doing this, I would get leaks especially at the top of the mask.

Thanks b36,
I did watch the YouTube video and tried to wear the mask last night but after playing with the leaking mask for about 15 minutes I gave up for the evening and wore the nasal pillows. I did not see COPD2's or your post before I went to bed last night but I am ready to give it try again and will try your technique!

Another thing that bothered me a little about the mask was that the connection for the hose pushes into my chest somewhat when I lower my head. I suppose I would get accustomed to the mask after wearing it for a few nights as I did with the nasal pillows.

I have to decide by Monday which mask I'll be using for the next 6 months. I like the nasal pillow except for having to wear the DIY boil&bite appliance to keep from mouth breathing. If I can get past the leaks I am probably going to go with the Quattro FX.

Thank you both for all the help!!!Thanks
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang your hose above your head. That reduces or eliminates the tugging of the hose on your mask as you move around in your sleep. It also eliminates the weight of the mask and hose pulling your mask down and reduces or eliminates that irritation to the bridge of the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only problem that I had with the Quattro FX was that the original ones that were released had straps that were too short. People with large heads could be very uncomfortable with this issue. I communicated to my ResMed rep about this and he advised me that the release versions of the mask would be an inch longer on each side.

This made quite a bit of difference. I have been able to put it on a patient with a 61cm head with very low leak and good fit and seal. I also appreciate the fact that it works extremely well with people with beards and mustaches. It is easy to fit and I have had excellent results. I have used them at home but I am not a big fan of full face interfaces so I only used it to get a feel for it. I did get a full night sleep with it though.

The one thing that I have found is that the DMEs have no idea what works for all people. These interfaces ALWAYS need to be tighter than they recommend. Especially at higher pressures. One way to ensure a good fit that they don't either know or tell is that if you lightly wet the seal, you may get better results in a full face.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2012, 05:12 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Mirage Quattro 5Amazing
Mirage Quattro FX 1Thumbs-down-1

I must be on another planet then lol. The FX is an appauling mask its just so uncomfortable and light, leaks like mad. The only good point is the straps which I do like.

The Quattro Full Face in my opinion is the best mask on the market today and if you could poll everyone who has a machine, you will find that around 75% will probably be using this mask. Now I know some will shout that not many on here use it but if your talking figures thats around 0.0001% of the people with a machineWink In the uk I would say that 90% of the people use or own a Quattro. I started with one a few years ago and tried other but nothing comes close to the quattro and I will back the mask everytime as the BEST all-round mask available today!

Hallo Dreamcatcher,

Did you try the Fisher & Paykel Forma FF mask in your research?

Many thanks, Kadenz

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2012, 06:00 AM)Kadenz Wrote:
(03-24-2012, 05:12 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Mirage Quattro 5Amazing
Mirage Quattro FX 1Thumbs-down-1

I must be on another planet then lol. The FX is an appauling mask its just so uncomfortable and light, leaks like mad. The only good point is the straps which I do like.

The Quattro Full Face in my opinion is the best mask on the market today and if you could poll everyone who has a machine, you will find that around 75% will probably be using this mask. Now I know some will shout that not many on here use it but if your talking figures thats around 0.0001% of the people with a machineWink In the uk I would say that 90% of the people use or own a Quattro. I started with one a few years ago and tried other but nothing comes close to the quattro and I will back the mask everytime as the BEST all-round mask available today!

Hallo Dreamcatcher,

Did you try the Fisher & Paykel Forma FF mask in your research?

Many thanks, Kadenz

I gave up trying as my Quattro ticks all my boxes but what has been said above is true each to their own and all you can do is review becuae whats good for the goose isnt always good for the gander, so to speak lol

Post Reply Post Reply
Emeraude: I moved your question to the Main Forum section where you can get help faster.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...22#pid9022
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Everyone,

I use the Quattro FX and find it to be the best for me so far. However, if you are having trouble with this mask, or you are thinking about changing to it, here is what I did to solve a bunch of problems.

1) Keep the nose hairs short to stop the pesky tickling sensations.

2) Before bed I use a Q-Tip and coat my nostrils with Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. This helps with dryness even though I have a humidifier.

3) As was previously advised, I also put a hook in the wall above the center of my pillow as a hose holder. I use a rubber band over the hook opening so I can easily adjust the hose length. I find this helps in many ways as I tend to toss and turn. Actually it feels like there is no hose at all.

4) Every evening I wash the oils off the mask and my face with a mild soap solution. This makes a difference I can feel when I rub my finger over the mask and my skin - a better surface to make a tight seal.

5) Watch the video on YouTube on how to properly fit the mask. Be sure to make the straps snug NOT tight.

6) Then a THE BIG leak solving problem solution I found elsewhere, is to use an athletic sweat band around my mask and head. Place it right over the ResMed word on the front of the mask. If it is too tight, cut it and attach Velcro strips for adjustment.

So there you have it. Here's wishing you well in our world of CPAP.

P.S. If you are a "mouth breather" and can't stand a full face mask try taping your mouth closed with silk tape. I did this for almost a year. It works great, but peel it off slowly in the morning which of course is the down side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Mirage Quattro Full-Face Mask Dreamcatcher 33 51,690 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Mr Nifty
  [Product Review] Mirage Quattro Air Denial Dave 42 55,267 03-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Product Review] Quattro Air full face mask britincanada 14 18,535 12-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Product Review] ResMed Mirage Micro Nasal Mask zonk 3 8,876 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Product Review] Mirage FX Nasal Mask [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 25 31,541 10-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Last Post: DOOM_NX
  [Product Review] ResMed Mirage Swift Nasal Pillows System [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 3 10,610 04-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Last Post: GregCavalier
  [Product Review] ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 0 6,576 02-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.