Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips
Thumbsup 
ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips
5 Thumbs-up-2

I recently switched from the ResMed AirFit F20 (Large) to the AirFit F30 (Medium). So I will include a few comparisons of the two mask systems along with the F30 review. This is all based on my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Overall I give the F30 5 Stars. I am very pleased with the comfort and efficacy of this PAP mask. The only downside is the initial cost for a guy like me who is 100% out-of-pocket. But I worked around the high price. I reused my F20’s QuietAir Elbow and purchased a replacement cushion, frame, and headgear.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16175]

Interchangeable parts with the F20…
There are no parts that are interchangeable with the F20 other than the QuietAir Elbow.

The Weight of AirFit [AirTouch] Cushions and Frames…
F30 Cushion, Medium                    29.0 grams
F30 Frame                                     17.9 grams
F20 Cushion, Large                       43.1 grams
F20 Cushion, Medium                    39.5 grams
AirTouch F20 Cushion, Medium     38.7 grams
F20 Frame                                      33.4 grams

How to Adjust the Headgear…
This isn’t necessarily the “right” way for everybody, but it worked for me.
  • I adjusted the top-of-head adjustment so that the lower straps would ride comfortably under my earlobes so as to place the converging back piece of the headgear as high up as possible. I am trying to get that converging spot off of my neck, (cervical spine area) and higher onto my skull. Not quite there, but closer than the F20 headgear and much improved feel overall.
  • The lower side adjustments should be just tight enough to keep the cushion from leaking. I was able to drop my max pressure 3cm to help minimize leakage too. Results were amazingly good.
  • I kept the upper side adjustments fairly loose when initially fitted - disconnected from the PAP machine. They pull the cushion upward to align and seal your nostrils to the cushion. When the PAP machine is attached and running, the mask “inflates" and the nostril-seal area puffs up and does its job very well in providing a leak-free seal without undue pressure against my nostrils.
How to Put On the F30…
  • Detach the magnetic headgear clips.
  • Grasp the mask with right hand - middle of back of headgear with left hand.
  • Loosely locate the side wings of the nostril seal with the Alar-facial Crease. It should comfortably fit the Alar-facial Crease with little to no compression.
  • Roll the mouth seal down and around your mouth.
  • Snap the magnetic clips onto the frame.
  • Connect the QuietAir Elbow.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16176]

How to Remove the Cushion form the Frame…
The cushion locks onto the frame with two tiny lugs that are molded into the frame. They are at the 3 O’Clock and 9 O’Clock positions. The problem is, is that there are no hard plastic bits anywhere to grab onto to separate the two pieces from one another. And mine was super tight when snapped together properly. So here’s how you do it without damaging any of the delicate parts of the cushion.
  • Cradle the assembly underneath and upright and with your left hand - cushion to the left, frame to the right.
  • Place your left thumb-tip on top of the cushion at the frame - not on top of the frame.
  • Place your right index finger into the vent hole of the frame and grab the flange inside - the flange is part of the frame.
  • Place your right thumb on top of your left thumb.
  • Pinch with your right thumb as you slightly hook your index finger on the frame’s flange.
  • The cushion and frame should detach easily and fall into your hands undamaged.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16177]

How to Attach the Cushion to the the Frame…
  • Loosely align the cushion and frame.
  • Thumbs go inside the cushion on the hard plastic on either side of the vent hole.
  • Fingers go on the outside of the frame on either side of the vent hole.
  • Align the parts and squeeze together firmly.
  • If you don’t hear and feel them snap together, then the parts are not aligned. If the cushion rotates more than “just a little” in the frame, then they are not aligned. Try again until they snap firmly together.
Cleaning…
I use CPAP wipes daily. Be careful with the cushion, or wash in a clean tub with baby shampoo and warm water. I also use an ultrasonic cleaner about once-a-month. SoClean is fine to sterilize PAP equipment, but it does nothing to remove skin oils and other particulate matter.

Seal Area and Headgear Tension…
As compared to the AirFit F20 and many other FFM’s, the surface area of the seal is markedly smaller - in other terms, the seal’s footprint. Just eyeballing it, I would say the F20 has half or less of the footprint as compared to the medium and large F20 cushions. This being the case, the tension needed on the headgear to maintain a good seal can be much less than that of the F20 and other FFM’s.

F20 Medium;  F30 Medium;  F20 Large
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16178]

My Observations and Experience…
First impressions were mixed. I liked the fact that the F30 cushion and frame were small and lightweight. However I was apprehensive of the feeling of having something pressed up under my nostrils. I was comfortable with the fit and feel on night two.

With the AirFit F20, I developed a chronic headache. I had to maintain a relatively high headgear tension to maintain a good cushion seal. My headache has all been resolved with the lesser tension that the F30 requires. Further helping this situation, I was able to lower my max pressure 3 cm resulting in a better seal, improved comfort, and maintaining efficacy.

The QuietAir Elbow defuses expiratory air under the translucent ring, under the retention clips, and around its periphery. The design is amazingly effective in keeping noise to a minimum. The F30 locates the QuietAir Elbow lower (directly in front of the mouth) with respect to the F20 medium and large masks. The F20 would frequently blow expiratory air into my eyes due to the higher Elbow placement. And it seemed to “hug” the upper nose-part of the F20 cushion causing it to be directed into my eyes. The F30’s design resolved this problem completely.

AirTouch Medium nose-to-nose with AirFit F30
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16179]

Also improved are my sleep sessions. Pre-PAP, I would average about 1 hour per sleep session. With my ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV and ResMed AirFit F20, I averaged 2 hour sleep sessions with 2-1/2 hours frequented. With the AirFit F30, I regularly have sleep sessions of 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hour sleep sessions. Needless to say, I feel much, much better.

I am a side sleeper. The F30 is quite comfortable and I have had little to no leakage or other problems when parts of the F30 get buried into my pillow. And the QuietAir Elbow is completely inaudible at 17 cmH2O or less.

Lastly, I have a tendency to open my mouth occasionally when sleeping on my side as my jaw muscles relax. It frequently opens if I roll onto my back. For unknown reasons, my mouth seems to stay shut with the F30 in both sleep positions.

Pros/Likes…
Lightweight / minimal bulk.
Easy to disassemble and clean.
Comfortable / easy to get used to the feel.
F30 has a top-of-head headgear adjustment. The F20 does not.
Lesser tension required on the headgear to maintain a good seal.
Like the F20 - quick to put on and take off with the QuietAir Elbow side pinch-clips.
Can wear eyeglasses comfortably with the F30 if you want to read or watch TV as you drift off to sleep.
Replacement parts may be found at a reasonable price.

Cons/Dislikes…
Only two cushion sizes available.
Complete system is expensive.
Takes some experimentation to find the best headgear adjustments.

Reference Material…
ResMed AirFit Fitting Template - Imperial Units:
https://www.resmed.com/au/dam/documents/...ch_eng.pdf

ResMed AirFit Fitting Template - Metric Units:
https://www.resmed.com/epn/dam/documents...mm_eng.pdf

AirFit F30 Product Information Page:
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr...t-f30.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips
Thanks for the nice, detailed review RayBee. I find it was quite useful.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great review!
Post Reply Post Reply
Overall = Unsatisfied Annoyed-and-disappointed
Purchased AirFit F30 Mask, small, plus headgear.
Headgear = Comfortable, adjustable to keep the straps away from the ears
Magnet connectors = weak. Easily disconnected during the night. Also difficult to know if they have actually connected/attached
Mask. Overall looks well designed, but I am guessing only fits a porcelain statue head.

Mask score is half a star. 1
I personally, found the mask has way too much depth, as in sticks out a long way from the face. This makes it difficult for someone like me who side sleeps, including toss and turns.
I also had to very tightly secure the mask to prevent leaks, to no avail, so I had to turn my machine pressure down from 16 down to 12.
I woke with a very sore face, like I had been beaten up. My nose Pronasale, Infratip lobule, Columella & sub-nasal, alone with my lips, teeth and cheeks were painful. This was mainly due to the mask having to be extra tight to prevent leaks.
I also observed some light bruising due to this mask not being able to fit correctly or seal properly.

The mask appears smaller height wise than my current Philips Amara View, medium, but is more uncomfortable around the nose, nasal area. It felt like the mask was being pushed up into my nostrils like a nasal mask, rather than wrapping around to prevent leaks or breath through.
Maybe the larger medium sized mask could be better. See info AirFit F30 - Helpful Tips

Hope this helps others. I really wish there was a better way, like 3D face scans to determine which mask would suit you better, rather than the "We have several sizes" but only one design, as is currently deployed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2020, 09:47 PM)freddyfl209 Wrote: Overall = Unsatisfied Annoyed-and-disappointed

addendum

After re-checking my nose, with the supplied correctly sized and measured "measuring device" I found that a small mask is NOT suitable for me. Under the terms of the 30day satisfaction, they have sent me a medium mask. Aus(slow)Post is taking there time, delivering it. I will re-review with the more suitable mask size.
-Watch this space. Don't stare, just watch
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2020, 06:23 PM)freddyfl209 Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 09:47 PM)freddyfl209 Wrote: Overall = Unsatisfied Annoyed-and-disappointed

addendum

After re-checking my nose, with the supplied correctly sized and measured "measuring device" I found that a small mask is NOT suitable for me. Under the terms of the 30day satisfaction, they have sent me a medium mask. Aus(slow)Post is taking there time, delivering it. I will re-review with the more suitable mask size.
-Watch this space. Don't stare, just watch

Overall = Okay.
Trial of AirFit F30 MEDIUM Mask

Mask Score = 3 Stars 3 

Headgear = Feels very comfortable. I don't even notice that I am wearing it, and it doesn't irritate my ears
Medium Mask = uncomfortable and difficult to seal. I found it easy to put the mask in place, and adjust the headgear, but once the machine is switched on, the seal is very easily lost. I have to adjust the straps to tight.
The mask also sits a long way away from face. Another post I read was an analogy to a hover craft. This mask total internal area is large.
The mask, as previous asked, is smaller, height wise. It sits more comfortably under the nose, and is almost the correct size for me. The only downside is it's inability to form a perfect seal on my face. Leaks near the corner of my mouth

Headgear part 2 = the tiny little bit of Velcro. From examining the headgear the Velcro appears only on the outside bit of the connector part. Obvious design not to last a while. To me this means you'll be forced to purchase headgear over, and over.
These magnet clips, are a joke IMHO. While attempting to adjust the mask, they frequently pop off. Twice I have woken to the mask not sealing, I attempt an adjustment, and it pops. I am then forced to wake more, to reattach them. I have enough sleeping issues without having to wake for some stupid clip. The original ones worked fine. This feature clearly knocks a star or two from the overall score.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi freddyfl209

There are a few threads running re F30.

I use the F30 as an alternative to a larger FF mask as it relieves my sore nose.

I am having mixed results in large leak area, I have had a good run for the last week then last night lots of leaks, I assume it must have been how the mask sits on my chin.
I have to at least wear a soft cervical collar as my mouth drops open when I mouth breath which is a cause of large leaks. But  a tight collar gives me a headache so I am now taping my mouth with painters blue masking tape. This tape doesnt stick as fast as medical tape and I can push it off  with my tongue.

Re the strap. Check other F30 threads, I think Bigguy uses a strap from an Amara View  mask which may be more robust than the F30 strap
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Is the F30i and the F30 use the same Mask?
Brian

"I drank WHAT?" - Socrates
Post Reply Post Reply
The F30 and F30i fit the face very similarly, but they are different masks. The F30 has the hose at the front, while the F30i has hose at the top. The F30 uses the same elbow as the F20, and the F30i uses the same elbow as the P30i and N30i. Other than that, they do not share any common parts with each other or other Resmed masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice write-up and review. The pics were a big plus!

I use the same mask. Have now for several months. When I first got it, getting the cushion properly seated onto the mask was a real challenge. 

But.....after some choice profanity and some finessing, I got the hang of it. I like it much more than the AirFit F20. But, I still swap back & forth from time to time. 

My F30 is now over 6 months old, and still doing fine. The cushion seems to be quite durable and showing no signs of any wear. 

I like that if my nose itches, I can actually rub it. Not so with the F20. That was frustrating as could be. It also doesn't feel as intimidating as the F20 does. 

I'm a mouth-breather and a side sleeper. I can bury the side of my face in my pillow and the mask maintains it's seal for the most part. 

I've been using Clorox anti-bacterial wipes on both of my masks since having started CPAP therapy (it'll be 2 yrs. in 4 days). The wipes have not negatively affected the silicone cushions in any way. No lingering odor or scent either. 

Anyways, it looks as if it'll be the F30 for me for some time to come.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,694 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,301 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,157 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,227 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 59,004 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,155 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,008 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.