Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask
RE: ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask
(11-01-2018, 06:07 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: 3

Resmed Airfit F30
The Headgear has 5 straps, two upper and two lower straps with the bottom two straps attaching by magnets. The 5th strap crosses the top of the head and adjusts the mask below the nose.

The mask frame is made of hard plastic similar to that used on the F20 mask. The Cushions are the same material used on most cushions and come in a small and medium size. Sizing is by width the small measures 1 11/32" or less or 33mm or less.

The elbow/hose attachment is the new Quiet Air Elbow and is the exact same elbow used on the F20 mask. It is very quiet and defuses the air nicely.

Pro:  If you like the under the nose style and liked the Amara View or Dreamwear FFM, you’ll like this mask. Headgear is easier to use and the mask is also quieter.

Con: I could not get a good seal using this mask. I’m a side sleeper and it seems the mask would slip unless I tighten it painfully. I never could get either the Amara View or Dreamwear to work for me either.

Overall: If you’ve used this style of mask before  with success than I highly recommend it. If you’ve had problems with the Amara View or Dreamwear I wouldn’t recommend it.

Maybe I missed it Walla Walla, but with 5 straps, do each play a part in adjusting? Do each of the 5 have some adjustment? BTW if you can change whatever on the mask to make it work, what would it be so you'd rate it better?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 07:29 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:

Resmed Airfit F30
The Headgear has 5 straps, two upper and two lower straps with the bottom two straps attaching by magnets. The 5th strap crosses the top of the head and adjusts the mask below the nose.
Maybe I missed it Walla Walla, but with 5 straps, do each play a part in adjusting? Do each of the 5 have some adjustment? BTW if you can change whatever on the mask to make it work, what would it be so you'd rate it better?

The top strap is to adjust the height of the mask under your nose. You want to adjust this first. Then adjust the other four straps at the four corners of the mask to seal the mask. The key is to adjust those four straps evenly to prevent leaking just like the Amara View mask. If I were to design this type of mask I'd have made it more of a Hybrid mask. Probably using either P10 pillows or something along the lines of the F&P Brevida. I've never had luck with under the nose masks when sleeping on my side.

I guess you can consider this an add on to my review.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2018, 08:22 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 07:29 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:

Resmed Airfit F30

The top strap is to adjust the height of the mask under your nose. You want to adjust this first. Then adjust the other four straps at the four corners of the mask to seal the mask. The key is to adjust those four straps evenly to prevent leaking just like the Amara View mask. If I were to design this type of mask I'd have made it more of a Hybrid mask. Probably using either P10 pillows or something along the lines of the F&P Brevida. I've never had luck with under the nose masks when sleeping on my side.

I guess you can consider this an add on to my review.

Thanks I may want to consider the N30i then before this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started trialing this mask a couple of weeks ago.  After fourteen months on APAP, having tried over a dozen different masks....I have FINALLY FOUND MINE!!!

After I realized I couldn't do a nasal cushion or pillows (my first choice) I trialed several full-face masks.  Thank goodness for [commercial link removed, please refer to Supplier #1] and their 30-day return insurance.  

The Amara View was pretty good, except the headgear didn't fit right and gave me a severe headache.  I ended up using a ResMed headgear with the Amara View mask, and it did ok for a few months.  Then, I trialed a few more and settled on the AirFit F20 for a few months.  It worked, but caused sores on my nose until I started using Boomerang pads.  (Yes, I tried the AirTouch F20, too.... I found the memory foam too rough)  Then, the Philips' DreamWear Fullface mask appeared.  I've used it for about the past 5 months with pretty good success...except I had to get a small frame to use and while I liked the flat profile, I needed to use both boomerang pads and a mask liner to get a good fit without leaks.  And the headgear seemed to stretch out too easily .... I had to replace it earlier than the norm.  But over time my AHI started to remain below 4 on most nights.  Making progress.  

Then I saw the F30.  Had to try. ResMed headgear has always fit me better.  The hose on the front wasn't a huge deal...and I could still sleep on my side and even on my stomach with my head burrowing in to my pillow.  I have the small cushion, and it really is nicely contained in size, yet feels roomy.  Not as flat as the DreamWear, but my mouth doesn't feel as "scrunched in" either.  But I kept waking up because the nasal openings seemed a little too big..and I was using the small mask.  I finally realized the outer edges of the nasal opening were collapsing inward during the night (when my pressures topped out) and starting leaking & waking me up.  I appreciate ResMed trying to make them soft, but I think they're a bit too soft for higher pressures.  I tried putting tape at the edges, but woke up with tape on my nose  Too-funny    Then I tried small pieces of a Boomerang pad along the outside edges of the nasal opening, but they were too thick.  I didn't need a mask liner, but one night decided to try a small piece of a mask liner on each side of the nasal area.   Thinking-about  PERFECT!!  

At first I wasn't sure what the thin strip between the two nares' openings was for.... but I now think it's to help prevent the openings from stretching out-of-shape.  I plan to find some scraps of quilted fabric that will be just a bit thicker but still soft and see how they do.  The purchased mask liners are ridiculously expensive and yet cheap in quality.  

I could see this headgear being a challenge for larger folks.... I've always had to special order a small headgear for other masks....but this one is close to perfect for me.  I might try fiddling with the top strap...I have it as tight as possible, but if I add some more velcro, I might be able to fix that minor nasal leak.  I'll bet you could switch out this headgear with another ResMed headgear if you need a larger one and get it to work.  I would imagine in time ResMed will make a large cushion as well.  But I suspect their initial target was smaller folk who really struggle to get a decent fit.  

The mask cushion itself just sits nicely on my face and outside of the nasal area, no leaks, burps, or slips.  I don't need boomerang pads or mask liners to keep it in place.  For the past week...my AHI is under 2, even under 1 on three nights!   Dancing

For me...this mask is the closest to perfect I can find.  But we all have different faces...our noses, our nares, our cheeks, our lips, the angle of our jaws. the arch of our teeth....they are all unique.  Keep trying until you find your perfect fit.  Fortunately, manufacturers are listening and production processes are getting more advanced AND easier all the time.  In time, I believe there will be a process to fine-tune all of those issues to adapt to everyone's needs.  Hmmm...maybe I need to setup a CrowdFunding account and develop that? 

Thinking-about Sleep is the most important thing we do.  Be patient.  Most of us didn't develop sleep apnea overnight ....we won't find the perfect treatment overnight, either.  Success is built on top of multiple failures.  This forum has been such a help to me, recommending ways to bridge gaps, heal sore spots, and hack my machine settings!  

For the first time in at least 45 years...I am finally starting to look forward to going to sleep at night.  I am finally learning to trust when I wake up in the morning ....that I actually got enough sleep!  This really is life-changing for me.  No one else can understand unless you've lived it.  

Both my parents lived into their 90's with untreated sleep apnea...one developed Alzheimer's and the other heart failure from years of high blood pressure, despite medication and healthy lifestyle.  So, I'm anticipating I may have another 30+ years in me.  I'm looking forward to 30 years of finally feeling rested!!!

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the F30, it was crazy expensive, but due to my issues of drooling and pooling in the f20, which I love, I figured I’d give it a shot. I have a bigass nose, and small head, so that’s worth noting. At first I really like  this mask. It’s felt nice with testing. Sleeping though, that was another story. Even with the breathe right strips, I kept having the literal only issue with this mask: pinching my nose closed, blocking my passages, or just not passing air appropriately to my nose. Suuuuper bothersome. I gave it 2 nights and had to hang it up. I still have it, but I went back to the dreamware and airfit f20.
Post Reply Post Reply
After the Amara View, and the DreamWear Full Face, this is my current favorite mask.

Mag Clips like the DreamWear, though not as powerful.
Hose attaches at the bottom, like the Amara View.

Only two mask sizes, the small is more comfortable for me, but leaks more around the nose vents.

The mask insert doesn't detach quite as easily as it likely should, though I'm perhaps not doing it properly.

The large opening in the front allows for a straw for drinking, though it's unclear whether that was the rationale.
The corresponding hose attachment seems lightweight and possibly fragile, hopefully it isn't going to chip or crack over time.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel the headgear is too small for me.  If anyone knows an alternative one that would be larger than the current f30 one, would really appreciate it.  No matter how I adjust it it bites the crease in my ears and cause a heavy dent on the top of my head,  I use a large headgear with the Airtouch and it works fine.  Just like the low profile of the f30.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
F30 is problematic for me. 3
Everyone here knows any certain mask NEVER works for everyone.  That said, I run a Bi-PAP at 22cmH20 (pretty high pressure).  I mouth breathe so a Full Face is required.  F20 AirSeal leaks and causes pressure break down on nose bridge causing sores.  F20 AirTouch seals but in short order causes irritation and it will cause sores also.  An old ResMed QuattroAir works best for me as I can get it to seal at fairly light strap tension, but it eventually causes nose pressure bridge break down (like F20s)  also. 
I procured a F30 to get away from the nose bridge, which it does.  It is fitted to Medium following the fitting template.  When first put on it felt great and I thought I had found the pot of gold.  Not to be.  Strap adjustment was tricky for my pressure.  First thing I noted was squeek-leakage under the nose at the front (in position the seal kinda points a tit out right under the nose).  A little more tension and it stops pretty well but it becomes annoying after awhile from the increased tension.  The second night it caused a tiny bleeding spot right under the nose at the lip junction.  The third night it further aggravated the spot and I had to abandon the F30 to let that one heal.  Several nights suffering through the F30 had allowed the bridge irritation from the QuattroAir to heal enough so I could go back to it again.
Still want to trial the F30 again after it's irritation mends but strongly suspect it is going back.  I need a trade-off unit on hand for just this type of 'rest' purpose and have unsuccessfully trialed about everything out there- Sure had high hopes in the F30, but  Dont-know

I would speculate those needing a FF mask using a (more commonly) lower pressure may just find that the F30 is a very good choice for them, so maybe all is not lost!
Post Reply Post Reply
zzzZorro: 

Have you looked at the InnoMed/ RespCare hybrid ff mask? 

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
AirFit F30
I tried an AirFit F30 thinking that the softer more pliable material and newly designed nose rest would be more comfortable than my Amara Full View mask.  I used it for 2 nights and I could not prevent leaking regardless of how I positioned my mask and my head.  I hardly slept and returned it after 2 restless nights and have gone back to my Amara Full View.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 668 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,691 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,019 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,301 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,157 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,226 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,154 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.